Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services (2286 Views)

Naira Crashes Further To N436/dollar / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Crashes As FG Denies Currency Swap Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by maximunimpact(m): 5:50pm On Apr 15, 2016
Naira free fall had it’s negative impact on Nigerians today as TransferWise decided it can no longer offer Naira transfers. From today, April 15, users will not be able to make or accept payments using the Naira. They sent emails out to their customers announcing the move and I think it’s a bit tragic because it’s not been a year since they started accepting Naira transfers in the first place.

TransferWise is an international online money transfer service that provide alternative fund transfer as they charge cheaper than banks, Banks and other providers charge up to 5% in hidden costs when sending money abroad. TransferWise charges 8x cheaper.

The Nigerian Naira and South African Rand were the only African currencies TransferWise supported, but now that we’ve been booted off the list of supported countries, we’re down to just the Rand. You don’t need a prophet to tell you that TransferWise stopped support for the Naira because of the sheer uncertainty of it all. As a result of fallen Oil prices, the Naira is worth a lot less than the CBN is pretending it is, and this dichotomy has created a wide gulf between “official” and “black market” rates.

To curb the demand for scarce Forex, the CBN tried to restrict the use of Naira cards abroad but it appears that’s not as much of a band-aid as they hoped. It’s going to be a long way to redemption. TransferWise is not a unique case though. Remember Uber?

Way to go, guys. We need to put the Nigerian economy in rice.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/04/15/naira-crashes-out-of-transferwise-money-transfer-services/

Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by nnachukz(m): 5:57pm On Apr 15, 2016
Oh yes. Buhari is working, until everything somersault zombies won't hear make we remove this man before it becomes too late to do so. Who was that person that attended to Abacha? If the person is still alive, he or she should please befriend Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 15, 2016
Buhari economics is working... Wailers are wailing! tongue
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by agarawu23(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2016
Hian
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by AccidentalGenius: 6:42pm On Apr 15, 2016
I got the mail too. Devastating. Does anybody know any other cheap alternative?
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by ASL33: 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2016
AccidentalGenius:
I got the mail too. Devastating. Does anybody know any other cheap alternative?
how much is transferwise as in naira against pounds
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by AccidentalGenius: 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2016
ASL33:
how much is transferwise as in naira against pounds

Pretty much the same. It's the cost of sending that's reduced.
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by yomalex(m): 11:10am On Apr 16, 2016
Okay o
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by SueZuckerberg: 12:12pm On Apr 02, 2018
yomalex:
Okay o
Yomalex please I need to hear your opinion. Transferwise aren't verifying my account because I submitted Driver's license. I even submitted my old driver's license. They claimed to only verify Nigerians with a valid Nigerian passport? How were you verified? Is it the same with you, too? I understand they wouldn't accept my utility bill because it doesn't carry my name but the ID... What do you think?
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by SueZuckerberg: 12:14pm On Apr 02, 2018
AccidentalGenius:

Pretty much the same. It's the cost of sending that's reduced.
Please I need to hear your opinion. Transferwise aren't verifying my account because I submitted Driver's license. They claimed to only verify Nigerians with a valid Nigerian passport? How were you verified? Is it the same with you, too? I understand they wouldn't accept my utility bill because it doesn't carry my name but the ID... What do you think?
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by SueZuckerberg: 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2018
maximunimpact:
Naira free fall had it’s negative impact on Nigerians today as TransferWise decided it can no longer offer Naira transfers. From today, April 15, users will not be able to make or accept payments using the Naira. They sent emails out to their customers announcing the move and I think it’s a bit tragic because it’s not been a year since they started accepting Naira transfers in the first place.

TransferWise is an international online money transfer service that provide alternative fund transfer as they charge cheaper than banks, Banks and other providers charge up to 5% in hidden costs when sending money abroad. TransferWise charges 8x cheaper.

The Nigerian Naira and South African Rand were the only African currencies TransferWise supported, but now that we’ve been booted off the list of supported countries, we’re down to just the Rand. You don’t need a prophet to tell you that TransferWise stopped support for the Naira because of the sheer uncertainty of it all. As a result of fallen Oil prices, the Naira is worth a lot less than the CBN is pretending it is, and this dichotomy has created a wide gulf between “official” and “black market” rates.

To curb the demand for scarce Forex, the CBN tried to restrict the use of Naira cards abroad but it appears that’s not as much of a band-aid as they hoped. It’s going to be a long way to redemption. TransferWise is not a unique case though. Remember Uber?

Way to go, guys. We need to put the Nigerian economy in rice.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/04/15/naira-crashes-out-of-transferwise-money-transfer-services/

Please I need to hear your opinion. Transferwise aren't verifying my account because I submitted Driver's license. They claimed to only verify Nigerians with a valid Nigerian passport? How were you verified? Is it the same with you, too? I understand they wouldn't accept my utility bill because it doesn't carry my name but the ID... What do you think?
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by chinkelly(m): 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2020
With this new development is it possible to transfer fund to a south African account. Pls help if u know any other way I can send funds to South Africa even tho its in dollars. Thanks.
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by FireDrake(m): 3:36am On May 26, 2022
I buy TransferWise (Wise) Funds and I offer the Naira equivalent

Good Rate, Fast Payment

Kindly message me on Whatsapp if you're interested.

WhatsApp:- +2349153818406
Re: Naira Crashes Out Of Transferwise Money Transfer Services by Zidoh(m): 11:00am On May 26, 2022
......Check our profile for your reliable exchanger

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn N200 Upto N5,000 Via Z-union App / Legitimate Money Making Opportunity / Looking For Business Partner For Laptop Importation Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.