Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,100 members, 7,821,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? (644 Views)

My Husband Is Afraid Of Me And It's Getting Me Worried / Help! My Friend Is Afraid Of Getting Married / Woman, Why I Will Always Be Afraid Of Them For The Rest Of My Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? by DrAda(f): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2016
I had a very unusual day yesterday. A child had sadly passed on but not before we did a scan on her brain which revealed multiple brain abnormalities. There were so many things seen in her brain that was unusual that nobody could say with certainty what it was.

When the child sadly passed on, the hospital management offered to take care of the Autopsy which is essentially series of activities carried out to find out how and why a patient died. We believed that if we found out what caused those abnormal brain lesions, we could prevent further occurrences. It was a noble idea. All we needed was the parent's consent for us to go ahead.

We never got that consent. The father repeatedly asked us "whether his daughter will be resurrected after we had successfully found out the cause of the death of his baby". He was polite and I understand that he was grieving for his child but his two brothers would have none of it. They were aggressive, declared us incompetent, told us that we wanted to conduct an "experiment" on their niece and all sorts of unprintable things. We pleaded, called other senior doctors to appeal to them but we still got an emphatic NO.

And therein lies the question? Why? Why do we kick against autopsy especially when it concerns children? Is there really more than meets the eye on this? I really need to understand. I am appealing to everyone, please, without autopsies, medicine would never have existed. It is how we know and understand better how diseases affect our bodies. What better way can we protect our loved ones and ourselves? Please, let's change our perception towards autopsy. It is for our own good and future.

www.kiddiesmatters.com

Re: Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? by BornnAgainChild(f): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2016
Only the guilty fears autopsy
Re: Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? by DesChyko: 7:50am On Apr 16, 2016
It's all respect for the dead. Not that I'm a fan of superstition, but I don't think I'll opt for mutilation after death. Autopsy serves a wonderful purpose though.
Re: Why Are We Afraid Of Autopsy? by byvan03: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2016
I will personally take that they know why she is dead, so they don't need you digging or illiteracy.

(1) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why Men Are Always Be Happy / 5 Things You Should Know If You Have A Car And Kids / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.