Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,312 members, 7,839,505 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele (12704 Views)

Emefiele: Forex Scarcity Bringing Out The Best In Nigerians / China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor / Emefiele Predicts Economic Boom For Nigeria In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by Chukzyfcb(m): 12:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
LastMumu:

Well you are right to a certain extent, Yes the bank makes crazy earnings from the huge rate they charge customers in comparison to what they pay investors, but the truth is that most of those are actually non-performing, especially now when the economy is in a pretty bad shape.

Also, almost all banks have foreign loads they are servicing, this has left them open to huge foreign exchange loss since they need to source for dollars to servicd the loans. Things ain't as easy or smooth as they seem.
True yarns. That's why cbn as the regulator has set a standard for them to operate. By giving banks a limit of 5% for Non performing loans (NPL). And some banks give out "friendly loans" without collecting collateral. The case can be seen with firstbank, where it has been reported by sahara reprorters that 2 prominent men owe them the sum of 120billion naira "without collateral". And both men operate in the Oil sector, with the fall in Oil price, its been having a toll on firstbank. From the comments alone on NL, you would see how people are groaning of the "crazy charges" from FBN.
Feb 25,2016
FBNH GTB Zenith UBA ACCESS
Exposure. 47% 33% 22% 21% 25%
To oil & gas

NPL ratio. 4.8% 3.1% 1.6% 2.1% 4.6%
(Liimit of 5.0)

BOFIA - banks and otheer financial institution act says its criminal for banks to issue loans without collateral.

All the same, that's the problem of the bank. If they were to follow the standards of operating loans set by CBN and also give out loans to individuals in other sector other than Oil. Having a high NPL wouldn't be much of an issue.
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by Chukzyfcb(m): 12:31pm On Apr 17, 2016
LastMumu:

Well you are right to a certain extent, Yes the bank makes crazy earnings from the huge rate they charge customers in comparison to what they pay investors, but the truth is that most of those are actually non-performing, especially now when the economy is in a pretty bad shape.

Also, almost all banks have foreign loads they are servicing, this has left them open to huge foreign exchange loss since they need to source for dollars to servicd the loans. Things ain't as easy or smooth as they seem.
True yarns. That's why cbn as the regulator has set a standard for them to operate. By giving banks a limit of 5%. And some banks give out "friendly loans" without collecting collateral. The case can be seen with firstbank, where it has been reported by sahara reprorters that 2 prominent men owe them the sum of 120billion naira "without collateral". And both men operate in the Oil sector, with the fall in Oil price, its been having a toll on firstbank. From the comments alone on NL, you would see how people are groaning of the "crazy charges" from FBN.
Feb 25,2016
FBNH GTB Zenith UBA ACCESS
Exposure. 47% 33% 22% 21% 25%
To oil & gas

NPL ratio. 4.8% 3.1% 1.6% 2.1% 4.6%
(Liimit of 5.0)

BOFIA - banks and otheer financial institution act says its criminal for banks to issue loans without collateral.

All the same, that's the problem of the bank. If they were to follow the standards of operating loans set by CBN and also give out loans to individuals in other sector other than Oil. Having a high NPL wouldn't be much of an issue.
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by lashout1: 12:54pm On Apr 17, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

It doesn't really affect investors in the money market, but to investors in other sector where loans will be needed to kickstart such investment (eg real estate), it would affect. This news is good for those investors playing in the money market. Coz it means higher interest rate resulting to a higher yield/profit.
Inflation cannot be @ 12% whereas my money in fixed deposit/Treasury bills is growing @ 7%. It implies I'm losing 5% . To move along with inflation & to maintain my purchasing power. My interest rate (r.o.I) has got to be equal or overtake the Inflation rate.
Yes you are good on its influence on money market. But I thought the best government policy is evaluated with that which makes more citizens better off and less worse off. How many person are in with the money market, if not the same microscopic few.

They shld have considered the effect of interest rate on capital market mainly and fairly on commodity.
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:11pm On Apr 17, 2016
lashout1:

Yes you are good on its influence on money market. But I thought the best government policy is evaluated with that which makes more citizens better off and less worse off. How many person are in with the money market, if not the same microscopic few.

They shld have considered the effect of interest rate on capital market mainly and fairly on commodity.
You are right bro. Its tough to favour both sides with high/low interest rate knowing fullywell that inflation is rising. It must be tough for the economic team. The interest rate was reduced, MPR reduced so banks would stimulate the economy by giving out loans. But it didn't work, rather our GDP sinked lower to about 2.8% in the lastquarter of 2015....while the growth of the nation was falling, our Inflation rate rose higher from 11-12%. So u see, cbn has tried that measure. Foreign Investors are taking out funds more than they are bringing in. Because the low rates wasn't favourable.
Many people even on NL described how inflation was a result of the forex scarcity and not too much liquidity, wht did the govt do? They just signed a deal with china so as to reduce the pressure on dollar which is the major curency in our reserves , thus indirectly impacting on the inflation rate & reducing the forex rates.
Also, they try to suck out the excess liquidity in the system same time attract local and foreign investors (FPI) back with the propsed high interest rate. Overall, it seems to be a win-win situation #but these are all speculations, reality would soon tell us if the speculations are right or wrong.
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by Icecomrade: 1:21pm On Apr 17, 2016
LastMumu:
Shut up, CBN increased MPR rate from 11% to 12% around January this year or so, how many banks passed the increased rates to their customers? If banks decide not to increase their interest rate even though they are now lending at a higher rate from CBN, what effect would this have on their books? It will eat up their profit, ode.

I was about educating you until I saw your user name "Last Mumu" I knew it would be a waste of time. U wont assimilate anything
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2016
Icecomrade:

I was about educating you until I saw your user name "Last Mumu" I knew it would be a waste of time. U wont assimilate anything
Lol, go and educate yourself, you obviously need it more. grin
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by lashout1: 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

You are right bro. Its tough to favour both sides with high/low interest rate knowing fullywell that inflation is rising. It must be tough for the economic team. The interest rate was reduced, MPR reduced so banks would stimulate the economy by giving out loans. But it didn't work, rather our GDP sinked lower to about 2.8% in the lastquarter of 2015....while the growth of the nation was falling, our Inflation rate rose higher from 11-12%. So u see, cbn has tried that measure. Foreign Investors are taking out funds more than they are bringing in. Because the low rates wasn't favourable.
Many people even on NL described how inflation was a result of the forex scarcity and not too much liquidity, wht did the govt do? They just signed a deal with china so as to reduce the pressure on dollar which is the major curency in our reserves , thus indirectly impacting on the inflation rate & reducing the forex rates.
Also, they try to suck out the excess liquidity in the system same time attract local and foreign investors (FPI) back with the propsed high interest rate. Overall, it seems to be a win-win situation #but these are all speculations, reality would soon tell us if the speculations are right or wrong.
Yes! Ema akwukwo.

reality will tell.
Re: Interest Rates Will Still Go Up — Emefiele by aloeman15(m): 5:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
I think most of us have missed the actual problem, which is-
You can't run a nation's economy with only fiscal/mpr policy!
The cbn is currently the only visible agency that's attempting- and failing- to address our widespread economic problems. There's NO WAY it can succeed.
But even in monetary policies, it's making serious errors- like the IMMEDIATE ban of those 41 items from accessing forex, when a deadline would've worked better for everyone.
And guess what?
Since they had to create means of getting forex, has the importation of those items dropped significantly? Has our economy benefited by any comparative measure? I guess the ons can tell us.
Let's look at a different angle-
One import shipment of petroleum products is more than all those 41 items' imports in a year!
So what was the point? Eye service.
The guy who talked of refineries also got it wrong. Our problem isn't importing petrol. Many nations do that.
Our problem is running the ENTIRE NATION on imported fuel! That is both insane and unsustainable.
Our entire focus should be on power generation. It's the ONLY solution to BOTH our fuel import and diversification problems.
It will slash the import bill by up to 60% short term and- through diversification- cut a further 15-25% through CHEAP local production.
So.
That question I asked in my thread-
Where on earth is fashola?!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Things You Need To Know About Home Business Before 2019 / Somatrix Marine Signs Strategic Mou With South Africa's Sandock Austral / How You Can Market Your Products Fast Within A Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.