Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,501 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Smartphone Addiction Is A Subconscious Obsession Everyone Has - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smartphone Addiction Is A Subconscious Obsession Everyone Has (1090 Views)

What Do You See? This Picture Test Will Reveal Your Subconscious Fear / 7 Most Powerful Subconscious mind power techniques / D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Smartphone Addiction Is A Subconscious Obsession Everyone Has by Emmanuel950(m): 4:34pm On Apr 17, 2016
A few weeks ago, I had a very crucial exam to write. And so one evening, I left my room and headed for one of the lecture halls nearby. I intended to read for as long as I could throughout the night. When I got there, I met some other students who had come for the same reason like myself. And so I began to read, and after what seemed to be like ages, I checked my time and it was 9.15pm. Then I looked around and something struck me!

I was the only person who wasn’t pressing his smartphone at that time!

And so I asked myself, “can one actually be addicted to a smartphone?”

Over the past few years, the use of smartphones has become ubiquitous with over 1 billion individuals worldwide owning at least one smartphone. There has been not only an increase in the number of smartphone users but also an increase in the number of smartphone makers and the number of smartphones available for purchase in the market. This stems primarily from the fact that smartphones have become an integral part of our everyday lives.

Did you know that…

According to Wikipedia, the term smartphone was first used in the year 1995 to describe AT&T’s PhoneWriter Communicator. This led many to define a smartphone as a mobile phone with an advanced mobile operation system which combines the features of a personal computer operating system with other features useful for mobile or handheld use.

Owing to the increasing number of activities which people can do with a smartphone, a lot of people have turned their obsession of their smartphones into an addiction.

So what is smartphone addiction?

In a lay man’s term, smartphone addiction simply refers to having the “I must have my phone with me at all times” mindset. To many, smartphone addiction is also known as an excessive obsessive use of the smartphone while others call it mobile phone (smartphone) overuse or nomophobia. Whichever name it’s called, it still means one thing; over-dependence on a smart mobile phone.

Wondering what nomophobia means?

Here’s a list of terms associated with smartphone addiction and their meaning.

Nomophobia: This refers to a psychological syndrome which is the fear of being without a working mobile phone. The word nomophobia is a combination of three different words no, mobile and phobia.
Mobile phone overuse: Like the name simply implies, refers to an overdependence seen among mobile phone users. Behavioral experts are of the opinion that it’s a form of behavioral habituation (addiction)
Now you know the basic definition of smartphone addiction… So,

What are the causes and effects of smartphone addiction?

The chief culprit, in this case, is the overuse of the smartphone itself. From making calls to chatting, sending texts, emails, and instant messages, to sharing pictures, videos and status updates on social networks, and streaming online films like comedians in a car getting coffee, there is an endless list of what you can use your smartphone to do.

How does this cause smartphone addiction? I used to be guilty of checking my phone first thing in the morning even before I say my early morning prayers until I started applying the techniques in this post “7 things healthy people do every morning”. Unconsciously, many people spend too much time using their smartphones to do at least 5 out of the aforementioned activities above without knowing they are enslaving themselves to their smartphones, certainly oblivious of the effect of their smartphone overuse on their lives.

Health wise, psychologically and socially, there is a long list of effects of smartphone overuse. I have only outlined a few below…

Digital dementia: This refers to a situation where a sufferer has memory deficits and attention disorders as a result of excessive use of their smartphones.

Phantom vibration syndrome: This is a type of feeling you have when you feel your phone vibrated but actually, it didn’t.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: This refers to a painful progressive condition which occurs when the median nerve in the wrist is compressed.

Insomnia: Research statistics have shown that people who use their smartphones when they are supposed to sleep are prone to experiencing insomnia more than people who limit the use of their smartphones.

Social disconnection: This is arguably the most important effect of excessive use of the smartphone. Many people tend to disconnect themselves from the real social life and in lieu, live a life on social networks like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram where they make virtual friends.

Now here’s the kicker!

How do you find out if you’re addicted to your smartphone?

What are the signs and symptoms that you’re excessively obsessed with your smartphone?

When you begin to feel anxious because you don’t have your phone in your physical possession.
When you are constantly checking your phone for texts, pings instant messages and tweets and you feel the compulsion to reply immediately.
When you experience phantom vibration.
When you become less conversant in conversations and with conversations. You tend to ignore the people you’re talking with in a bid to reply that tweet, Instagram tag or Facebook message.
When you start having low grades in school as a result of using your smartphone when you’re supposed to be reading.
When you run 35mins to the grocery store and you’re just about the corner only to realize you left your phone at home and you must go back and get it.
When you’re replying some unimportant email in the middle of a romantic moment with your partner, especially during sex.
When you’re texting when driving especially if the text is unimportant.
When you constantly fall asleep every night with your smartphone in your hand.
When you’re texting, playing games or watching a new music video in the library.

So what’s the bottom line?

In order to reduce your level of dependence on your smartphone, you need to start doing the things I’ll list in my next post on “How to break the smartphone addiction habit!”

Source: http://www.topicsbay.com/smartphone-addiction-causes-solution/

2 Likes

Re: Smartphone Addiction Is A Subconscious Obsession Everyone Has by kirchofff(m): 11:45pm On May 01, 2016
Nice 1 bro, but endeavour to post the solutions........cheers
Re: Smartphone Addiction Is A Subconscious Obsession Everyone Has by pamcode(m): 9:19am On May 02, 2016
In order words i am smartphone addicted. *begins to cry bitterly *

(1) (Reply)

Still Feeling Symptom Of Worm After Deworming / Ha! See The Strange Thing That Happened This Man After Sucking A Lady’s Pussy ( / Type Of Food To Eat When You Are Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.