Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions (28349 Views)

Saraki Meets Osinbajo As Presidency Uncovers Senate’s Plot / Heads May Roll As Presidency Probes Ownership Of Ikoyi Billions –investigation / Budget: Heads May Roll In Govt Parastatals, Agencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by hush15: 2:22am On Apr 18, 2016
GudluckIBB:
Ipod, wailers and children of hate.

Nass has slashed the vote of 2nd Niger bridge by 3.9 billion. What your clueless phd holder couldn't achieve, the "dullard" wants to help you people.
Let's see whom you will wail to this time

Buhari, teaching jonathan how to be firm as a president right from independence.
God bless buhari.

If this you think this is how to teach one on how to be firm, then it's quite unfortunate that you just deceiving yourself.

That the NASS prudently pruned the budget which they felt was exhorbitant on certain projects and rather than the president to proceed atleast with what he has, when he needs more, he states the progress and why he needs more. It is not that the bridge will be finished this year neway. Nobody is saying the projects are not laudable however, it's not an excuse to bill exhorbitantly for it since we trying to be more prudent in these tough times as a country and we seem to have forgotten that this government promise to be more cost effective.

As for the Lagos-calabar rail project, it's been proven that it was not covered in the initial budget and since the presidency wants it in, there are other means of presenting it through either budget amendment or supplementary than going through the back door.

But because some are too sentimental in the heads, Buhari must always have his way. Even when his approach is wrong. When errors exist in the budget from the executive. Why won't the NASS have issues and rather than tackle the problem for the source which is the executive, you here play political sentiments. It's really sad with sentiments like yours drawing Nigeria backwards.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by lastpage: 2:52am On Apr 18, 2016
TPAND:
NASS did not do anything wrong by expunging and cutting cost of some capital projects. That is their job.

Quote me if you think am wrong

I am quoting YOU, .......because you are WRONG!

..and l will kindly explain, in a very civil manner.

1.) Under the principle of "Separation of Powers", only the Executive has the constitutional Power to Write a Budget.
The President shall get its costs for various projects that it wants to do, (from the 'market)', attach such amount to the projects, compile the Budget and PAS IT to the legislature (NASS) for their own role,( below)

2.) The role of the Legislature is to scrutinise the budget in terms of cost (to check Executive abuse of reckless spending). That function is called "Appropriation".

3.) If there is a PROJECT the NASS does not like in the budget, it DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER to REMOVE it!
In fact, the Legislature has no power to ALTER the budget.

But it has one very strong power: It can REFUSE to appropriate money for any PROJECT it does not like.
That PROJECT, by so doing is DEAD!

4.) By not funding a project, the NASS has killed the Project. (literally having same "effect" as removing it)
This is where the Powers of the legislature ends, as far as budgeting is concerned

5.) The NASS does not have the power to ADD or REMOVE ANY PROJECT FROM THE BUDGET.
That is the duty of the Executive Arm of Govt; but it can refuse to fund a Project, any project, in the Budget.

6.) The NASS also does not have the power to "INCREASE or DECREASE FUNDING for a project (from what the Executive has stated).... but it can REFUSE FUNDING COMPLETELY (Note the difference between "changing figure" ......and "putting zero figure", by refusing funding. It can put "zero figure"... but it cant change figure!

Let me make it clearer:
*WRITING, PRESENTING, ADDING / REMOVING PROJECTS TO/IN THE BUDGET => EXECUTIVE ARM OF GOVT (President and Ministers)

* FUNDING ( or NOT FUNDING/ complete removal of fund) for PROJECTS in the Budget => LEGISLATIVE ARM OF GOVT (National Assembly)

You see how both arms of Govt can checkmate each other?
One would write or remove and cost, while the other would decide to fund or not... but cannot write or remove!
That is the beauty of "The principle of Separation of Powers".

Now, if one of the Arms of Govt tries to do its duty and that of another arm of Govt, its action are said to be 'ultra vires', unconstitutional, unlawful, null and void.

So, by adding "PROJECTS" to the Budget presented by the Executive, NASS has over-stepped its boundaries
By Reducing and Adding money (as against outright refusal to appropriate funds in full, as written by the Executive), NASS again has gone beyond its powers.

NASS members know this but their GREED and "business as usual mindset" is not letting them stick to the rules.
Unfortunately, we now have a President who knows the rules and is bent on working by the rules

He being accused of "padding" at the beginning, may be the reason he is sticking to the rules now, aside his own personal integrity
Unfortunately again, most Nigerians dont know the difference/facts and the NASS is trying to manipulate them into thinking Mr. president is just being pig-headed!

- If there is a Project they want approved, they can inform the Executive, who will decide to include it or not
- If there is a project they want to increase its funding, they can INFORM the Executive, who still reserve the right to say "No", we dont want more money for it (or we want more money for it).
- If they cant agree, NASS simply would not approve money for the project at all. That project is "dead" and stands expunged from the budget because there is no money appropriated to execute it, in the budget.

This is the position of the constitution and the Courts, as explained by Constitutional Lawyers at SAN level.

Hope this helps.

Lastpage!

NB: This is not about "prudence or pruning or adding something later".
Its about the "balck and white of the LAW/CONSTITUTION! The Constitution and Law in general, does not pander to such "emotions".
Thats why it symbol is that of a "blind Man" whole Swords and Scales ( Justice and Equity ) . undecided undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by lastpage: 3:03am On Apr 18, 2016
hush15:

If this you think this is how to teach one on how to be firm, then it's quite unfortunate that you just deceiving yourself.

That the NASS prudently pruned the budget which they felt was exhorbitant on certain projects and rather than the president to proceed atleast with what he has, when he needs more, he states the progress and why he needs more. It is not that the bridge will be finished this year neway. Nobody is saying the projects are not laudable however, it's not an excuse to bill exhorbitantly for it since we trying to be more prudent in these tough times as a country and we seem to have forgotten that this government promise to be more cost effective.

As for the Lagos-calabar rail project, it's been proven that it was not covered in the initial budget and since the presidency wants it in, there are other means of presenting it through either budget amendment or supplementary than going through the back door.

But because some are too sentimental in the heads, Buhari must always have his way. Even when his approach is wrong. When errors exist in the budget from the executive. Why won't the NASS have issues and rather than tackle the problem for the source which is the executive, you here play political sentiments. It's really sad with sentiments like yours drawing Nigeria backwards.

Naaah, please read above and write from a position of the law/constitution...... not "what l think" is right! undecided undecided

Only the Executive Arm can input/remove Projects. Only Executive Arm can input Cost of such Projects undecided
Only the NASs/Legislative can appropriate Money (Exactly what was costed by the Executive) or Reprobate Money (remove completely) for the project, as stated by the Executive.

There is no in-between.
Supplementary comes in ONLY after the Budget has been signed into law.

.... but this President has said if it is wrong, l wont sign it into law!
So, why not just everyone DO WHAT IS RIGHT, and Let us move on?
That cant be too difficult now?

Lastpage!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by chukzyblingz(m): 5:26am On Apr 18, 2016
After reading most of the comments, I can't help but say that most Nigerians are foolish. The blame shifters have sjcceeded in transfering the blames on the Senate making them your enemy while in the real sense , they're the real enemies. The Senate is evil but Buhari and his people is evil personified. I pity whoever supports him because he will disappoint them. I pray Nigeria wins at the end. All Buharis evil plans, God will frustrate.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by feeloscar(m): 5:35am On Apr 18, 2016
Sasuwa:
buhari is a wailer
and you are a lier.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by toni68: 5:50am On Apr 18, 2016
Nusaf:

And u think a lawmaker can just do what he likes and get away with it. Wait and see what will happen.
. ignorance is a disease. go read your constitution and know the functions of the legislature......and separation of powers .....ok

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Nobody: 5:57am On Apr 18, 2016
They slashed everything down South; from Lagos to Onitsha to Calabar, southern senators in collaboration with some northern elements are saboteurs.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by crypta007(m): 6:05am On Apr 18, 2016
Do even read the text at all..?
Nelkoko:
If head go roll na only baba n him ministers head go roll cos NO b baba appoint dem
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by dandollaz: 6:16am On Apr 18, 2016
Dont be surprise jonathan expose it to him.baba well please get to work
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Mexyz(m): 6:28am On Apr 18, 2016
CecyAdrian:
Nigerians are very funny at the same time frustrating! We are saying there the budget have been "laced" and "unlaced" with outrageous figures and projects, mind blowing figures going into "rubbish" projects while people beneficiary projects are being ignored or pushed aside and some people are more concerned on the time it has taken to pass the budget.

So, PMB should pass a budget full of errors without correcting them because time has gone abi??
Then maybe PMB is really a dullard for submitting a budget full of errors, at least you admitted that the budget is full of errors.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Reference(m): 6:31am On Apr 18, 2016
popcykaylah:
Nigerians don't like the truth..all the budget they have been passing sharp sharp all these years..which of the projects in it has been done..Jonathan's budget was read quickly and yet all we got at the end was dasuki gate.stealing here and there..not in support of the delay but lets for once do things right.

And how do you know that it is not the paddings, the trimming of the fat at work here, because to you the Presidency is always right and every other person is wrong. This is dangerous. The Legislature is there to checkmate the Executive and when you are not certain of the real value of an item due to paucity of information you price it. If my architect says the Niger bridge costed that I would cut down my offer and ask him to start with what I have. When he runs out he comes back to me with proof of need. Buhari should sign the damn thing, get to work and supplement later. Enough of excuses. Development delayed is development denied. The budget is from January to December and by the end of the year unused disbursements must be returned to treasury. With a third of the year gone will he be giving them only 66% of the budget and 33% for Christmas bonus. Abeg make I hear. We know how these things work.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Willybos(m): 6:34am On Apr 18, 2016
Bobskylo:

do u at all read d news in-between lines?

or jumping to conclusion witout proper understanding?

pls read agen n recomment!!!!!!
Du u actually read the news before quoting him?
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by BeardedMeat(m): 6:47am On Apr 18, 2016
GudluckIBB:

Nass has slashed the vote of 2nd Niger bridge by 3.9 billion. What your clueless phd holder couldn't achieve, the "dullard" wants to help you people.

Buhari, teaching jonathan how to be firm as a president right from independence.
God bless buhari.
Interesting days ahead reaLly. It seems the NASS are doing the right thing for the first time in this country. By the time forensic experts finish their own work on the budget, we would know if the budget as submitted was highly over-inflated or not.

And what with the second Niger bridge? If jonathan didn't initiate and started it, Buhary out of sheer hatred for igbos because they didn't vote for him, will never ever touch it. I also want you to show me any new project this government initiated solely for the benefit of SE?
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by BeardedMeat(m): 6:48am On Apr 18, 2016
Reference:

And how do you know that it is not the paddings, the trimming of the fat at work here, because to you the Presidency is always right and every other person is wrong. This is dangerous. The Legislature is there to checkmate the Executive and when you are not certain of the real value of an item due to paucity of information you price it. If my architect says the Niger bridge costed that I would cut down my offer and ask him to start with what I have. When he runs out he comes back to me with proof of need. Buhari should sign the damn thing, get to work and supplement later. Enough of excuses. Development delayed is development denied. The budget is from January to December and by the end of the year unused disbursements must be returned to treasury. With a third of the year gone will he be giving them only 66% of the budget and 33% for Christmas bonus. Abeg make I hear. We know how these things work.
Thank you. Interesting days ahead indeed!
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by BeardedMeat(m): 6:55am On Apr 18, 2016
Baawaa:
It is high time Nigerians fight for their right by saying no to these rogues and thieves we called law makers, from all indications they are the problem of this country.
They are not! You are becuase of your herd mentality. What you read up there is the trimming of excess fat on the budget of yams! Boys are waiting to recoup on their investments. Tinubu and Amaechi and co must recoup on their investment, your president is a dullarrd who knows nothing about economics and the vultures around him are just tossing him upandan!
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by BeardedMeat(m): 7:02am On Apr 18, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Nice
What is nice about what you just read? That the presidency is crying foul where there is non? So the Senate shold have rubber stamped the budget without trimming out the excess fat? How were the investors of the buhary project gonna recoup their investetment if not through this budget of yams?? Interseting days ahead. We might need forensic experts to vet the budget line by line to tell us who got it right.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by defash8: 7:04am On Apr 18, 2016
This is what you get when you have inexperienced party in power. Do Presidency informed NASS their sensitive part of the budget. They should sit down together & address this issue as we are tired of accusations & counter-accusations.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by HzRF(m): 7:08am On Apr 18, 2016
GudluckIBB:

God bless buhari.

Why are you people this daft

Even if d budget was passed lyk the way the tyrant wants what's the assurance it will be implemented

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Nobody: 7:21am On Apr 18, 2016
Why madness is this? Why is the NASS frustrating good intentions.
Ewo loshi na?
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Deen77: 7:27am On Apr 18, 2016
fiizznation:
I hope saraki's head will be included.I still can't fathom why that saraki of a man won't just honourably step down as the senate president.

He is fighting back d PDP way of budgets, I can see his handwriting.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by KBrown: 7:30am On Apr 18, 2016
For those who still don't understand what is going on. let me try to make it simpler.
As regards budgeting, based on the principle of separation of power, the executive is expected to propose the projects for which funds are required while the NASS scrutinise and approve or disapprove (not slash). The executive will then sign and implement while the NASS monitor in their oversight function. The executive is free to re-present the disapproved funds with better explanations and other urgent need in supplementary budget.
However, by proposing new constituency projects and approving for themselves, the NASS has thrown out the doctrine of separation of powers. This has been the past practice during the Jonathan era without challenge . This is the reason why budget implementation has always been low because most of the time, the projects introduced by the NASS are either not yet designed or the contractors, usually nominated by them cannot access the funds.
The present administration wants CHANGE and that means that we cannot continue to do things the wrong and expect a good result. If the NASS want their constituency projects, the proper way is to route it through the executive to propose so that they (NASS) approve.
I am of the firm believe that if the lessons of this year is imbibed by both parties, next year's budget, God willing, will pass smoothly.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Upson42(m): 7:36am On Apr 18, 2016
when it takes month for Mr.President to agree with NASS, when wiill the implementation takes effect
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Deen77: 7:56am On Apr 18, 2016
fiizznation:
I hope saraki's head will be included.I still can't fathom why that saraki of a man won't just honourably step down as the senate president.

He is fighting back, Saraki is PDP, I can see his handwriting on d budget.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Nusaf: 8:19am On Apr 18, 2016
toni68:
. ignorance is a disease. go read your constitution and know the functions of the legislature......and separation of powers .....ok
Certainly, ignorance is a very big disease. The law itself is just about common sense. I may not have exhausted the study of the constitution but common sense tells me that the law of the land doesn't give room for impunity. The role of the executive and that of the legislature are clearly defined in the constitution and punitive measures against any erring arm must have also been captured by the same constitution, otherwise it is incomplete. Yes, there is separation of power but at the same time there are checks and balances. Right? Anyway, there is the saying that common sense is no longer common.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by demio007: 8:32am On Apr 18, 2016
head will roll. hahahaha Telemundo government. Executive want to roll heads of legislators? where is separation of power? MUMU. if project budget is reduced, whats the cost of the projects in the first place and yearly financial plan? tell us and we will know if the legislator has done wrong.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by CecyAdrian(f): 9:01am On Apr 18, 2016
Mexyz:
Then maybe PMB is really a dullard for submitting a budget full of errors, at least you admitted that the budget is full of errors.

All I can tell you is this, am glad that while addressing him as a dullard, you put the words PMB, the "P" meaning President, so if your President is a Dullard, what are you?? A DUNCE or a greater element of that regard??

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Baawaa(m): 9:21am On Apr 18, 2016
BeardedMeat:
They are not! You are becuase of your herd mentality. What you read up there is the trimming of excess fat on the budget of yams! Boys are waiting to recoup on their investments. Tinubu and Amaechi and co must recoup on their investment, your president is a dullarrd who knows nothing about economics and the vultures around him are just tossing him upandan!
Oh,you means Tinubu and Amaechi were behind budget PADDING,
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by SamiraF: 9:23am On Apr 18, 2016
This APC Presidency, and by presidency I mean General Muhammadu Buhari and Pastor Yemi Osinbajo are fraudulent hypocrites. This dictatorial duo are shouting anti-corruption while duping and looting the nation. Aside from the insensitivity of launching Aisha Buhari's beauty book on Chibok Girls anniversary, have Nigerians asked them why state governor's were forced to buy a beauty book at n10,000 each per cover price while donated prices were far higher when "beauty therapy" is not in our national budget of development goals? Thieves in high office.
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Goke7: 9:30am On Apr 18, 2016
hush15:

budget is not a sacred document, it is all about planning and before it is approved, it can be adjusted over 100 times, we all do budgets is our offices, let's stop misinforming people please, there is no back door thing, its all part of the budget process. Amaechi does not need to go and prostrate before all the senators to get anything adjusted, that is why there is budget defence and a committee to look at things and make corrections where necessary.

Did the lawmakers have to prostrate before PMB to insert their own projects, was it in the original document? Please let's stop the misinformation, budget can be readjusted 100 times before approval, its all about planning, nothing sacred please
Re: 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions by Goke7: 9:33am On Apr 18, 2016
KBrown:
For those who still don't understand what is going on. let me try to make it simpler.
As regards budgeting, based on the principle of separation of power, the executive is expected to propose the projects for which funds are required while the NASS scrutinise and approve or disapprove (not slash). The executive will then sign and implement while the NASS monitor in their oversight function. The executive is free to re-present the disapproved funds with better explanations and other urgent need in supplementary budget.
However, by proposing new constituency projects and approving for themselves, the NASS has thrown out the doctrine of separation of powers. This has been the past practice during the Jonathan era without challenge . This is the reason why budget implementation has always been low because most of the time, the projects introduced by the NASS are either not yet designed or the contractors, usually nominated by them cannot access the funds.
The present administration wants CHANGE and that means that we cannot continue to do things the wrong and expect a good result. If the NASS want their constituency projects, the proper way is to route it through the executive to propose so that they (NASS) approve.
I am of the firm believe that if the lessons of this year is imbibed by both parties, next year's budget, God willing, will pass smoothly.

well said, thanks a lot. we's ve got lots of misguided and ignorant folks on nairaland these days

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari May Stand Alone In 2019 ----buba Galadima / Don't Make Us Harm Itsekiri!! - Ijaw Warns Buharis Aide Garba Shehu / Emefiele Has Weaponised The CBN - Femi Fani-Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.