Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,216 members, 7,815,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

"18 Months? That's Too Long To Make Money From A Business."... - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / "18 Months? That's Too Long To Make Money From A Business."... (511 Views)

Alhaji Razak Gawat, Five Years Too Long / What Is Wrong With GHW, GH Is Taking Too Long / Drop A Business Plan That You Can Start With N30k & You May Get The Money. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"18 Months? That's Too Long To Make Money From A Business."... by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
"18 months? That's too long to make money from a business."

That's what someone said to me in an email about my latest upcoming website. If you aren't familiar with it, it's called Start Build Profit The Developer Blog, and it's where I intend to publish updates and blog posts on how I was able to grow a profitable online business from scratch. You can follow on Nairaland through this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/3263229/teaching-bloggers-marketers-how-grow

The commenter's remarks were in response to a post where I briefly mention and outline my website's strategy.

When I asked him (or her) why 18 months was too long of a time frame, they basically said that they needed money now, and couldn't afford to wait 18 months to earn a return from a business. I didn't respond any further, because I knew where the conversation was ultimately going to lead. I don't mind helping someone get the information they need to move ahead, however I'm not interested in helping someone who's only interested in a quick fix to a problem they've probably already been struggling with a lot longer than 18 months.

I get that online business is hard. I also understand how a lot of the information and "experts" online cannot be trusted. However, that is no excuse for not trying. If you want to change your circumstances, specifically through online business, you have to change what you're doing. That includes everything from who you spend time with, what you're consuming and exposing your mind and thoughts to, how you utilize the time you have, your list of goals and objectives, and basically any and everything about the way you currently manage your life. I'm not suggesting you do an entire overhaul of your life, but I am saying that you need to re-evaluate what, how and when you're doing something, then ask yourself if what you're doing is leading to what you want. And if not, change direction or stop following that path entirely.

Change is hard. In fact it's extremely difficult. I know, because I've been there.

I lost my business and nearly all of my savings, investments and net worth in the last US Recession. I was depressed and did nothing but hate myself and my circumstances for two years. But then I changed. My desire for a better life was greater than my self-hatred, and I began the long, hard process of recreating my circumstances and rebuilding my life. I didn't wait for someone to show me the way or draw me a map. I dug in, got my hands dirty, and did the work I knew would lead me to better circumstances and more opportunity. I didn't know when things would manifest for me, I just knew they would, eventually, as long as I was consistent in my efforts.

Does this mean everyone should get out there and figure everything out on their own? No it doesn't.

After all, it’s human nature to search for simple patterns or formulas that we can follow to find success and achievement. When you think about it, many of the success stories we hear (mine included) seem so simple at first glance. But here’s the thing: the simplicity successful people seem to find is the result of deep, intentional, independent thinking and inquiry.

Success doesn’t come from connecting the dots or following the latest guru’s formula. Learning about how other people succeed is part of the process, but blindly following someone else's overly simplified formula is a recipe for disaster. It's like copying someone's answers on a test, and hoping to retain the knowledge afterward. Following someone's footsteps may help you get started, and yes, you may get high marks and a passing grade on the exam, but you won't retain the knowledge, and when it comes time to apply that knowledge, you won't be able to perform.

In short: easy success is a myth.

This is why I don't like to offer instruction to people about how to make money online. Instead I prefer to show them what I've done, and how I've benefited from it through independent thinking. My strategy is to not only show people what I've done, but also explain why I did it, and how well the strategy worked for me.

I honestly believe, that the reason so many people fail in online business is because they are trying to copy everyone else's strategy and apply everyone else's advice, without ever considering the circumstances that surround why those tips, tactic and ideas worked in the first place.

I have a question for you: how much critical, independent thinking are you doing about your own path? Now compare that to how often you're looking for answers in books, articles, or even from mentors? If you’re spending most of your time looking externally for answers, you’re still avoiding the work that really needs to be done. Instead of asking "What did they do", focus more on asking, "What Can I do?"

I'll give you an excellent example. We're all familiar with Mark Zuckerberg and the story of how he created Facebook. When know what he did and how he did it, and yet, there hasn't been another Facebook or serious Facebook competitor. Why? Because though we know his process, the ONE THING we don't know are the lessons and knowledge he attained from his independent thoughts as he built the business. Because it is that knowledge, supplemented by the advice from advisors and colleagues, that allowed him to advance Facebook to where it is today, and where it's going tomorrow. And that's what makes all the difference.

Critical, intentional, independent thought and inquiry.

Real success and satisfaction in life will come when you start thinking for yourself. No one who ever accomplished anything great got there solely by mimicking another's body of work.

Learn from others, yes, but when you’re ready for a breakthrough you have to stop following, start leading and focus more on what you can do NOW, rather than looking to see what someone did PREVIOUSLY.

I hope this helps!

Be blessed! smiley

Ra
____

( If you enjoyed this post, follow me on nairaland , or visit me on my blog . smiley )

1 Like

Re: "18 Months? That's Too Long To Make Money From A Business."... by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
People sometimes say you gotta have a backup if you want success in your business.
Re: "18 Months? That's Too Long To Make Money From A Business."... by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 17, 2016
AdmiralDru:
People sometimes say you gotta have a backup if you want success in your business.

I would agree, however, I think one should be clear on what exactly a backup plan is to them.

For some people, "backup plan" means finding something entirely new or an alternative to the business you are currently running. And while I understand where they're coming from, to me, this is setting up your mindset for failure, because I don't think people apply themselves as much when they know there is a more comfortable, safer alternative waiting in the background. You wouldn't buy a house with expectation of moving back home if you couldn't pay the mortgage. Instead you would probably do what you have to, to get the mortgage paid, and when all resources were exhausted, then you may consider moving back in with family. Figure out the problem, and if it can be resolved, do so. Only resort to an alternative if you absolutely have to.

A true backup plan is merely a risk assessment of your business. It's to take into account any vulnerabilities or uncertainties in your business and then outline a course of action in the event they occur. It's essentially to be prepared when things go wrong (and they will!) in your business. Maybe your potential customer or market isn't responding the way you'd hoped, or maybe your sales aren't what you estimated them to be. Maybe your product offering is wrong, and needs improvement. Or, perhaps your data and IT systems are insufficient to handle a surge in web traffic.

In short, it's all about planning, really. Backup plans are to be put in place to ensure your business continues to run in the event of difficulty.

Successful businesses aren't built on taking risks, but by eliminating them. The more you reduce your amount of risk, the more profitable and sustainable your business becomes. So when planning your online business, don't just look for the easiest method so you make the most money. Take a firm look at what it is you want to do, and then establish a plan/course of action for eliminating, or at least reducing, your business risk so that you reduce your chances of failing.

But even if the business does fail, and most do, you will only have two choices. The same two choices every entrepreneur has when a business fails: Start another business/venture with revenue generating potential or find a job.

Hope this helps.

Be blessed!

(1) (Reply)

Sugary Drinks Can Cause Certain Cancers – Study / Omg? See How A Thief Got Electrocuted On An Electric Pole While Stealing Cables / Why Do Cockroaches Flip Over When They Die?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.