Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" (747 Views)

5 Times Wole Soyinka Criticised Pres. Buhari This Year / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by truthalways(m): 9:46pm On Apr 17, 2016
I just finished reading this thread on nairaland /www.nairaland.com/3053602/wole-soyinkas-woeful-silence and i must say I am disappointed in most youths of Nigeria. We are waiting for an 82year old man to speak up for us. "A man who spoke up against tyrants like Yakubu Gowon and Abacha, a man who stood up against the evil perpetuated against the Biafran side and was imprisoned for this cause, a man who held up a radio station at gunpoint and forced them to reject tyranny, a man who fought for Goodluck Jonathan to be set free from under the claws of Turaia and a man who barely a month ago adviced the government of the day to hold an economic summit.

We are here waiting for an 82year old man to speak up.

Do you have any idea of how it is quite challenging for an old man to do the same things he did in his youth
?

He has lived his life, whether he speaks or he doesn't speak he has nothing to lose.

What stops you and I from becoming the next Wole Soyinka if the real Wole Soyinka has refused to speak up.

Those of you who are asking where is Wole Soyinka

Ask yourselves these questions

Where are my parents?

Where are the elders in my community?

Where am I?

"Malala was 15, Enahoro was 22, Soyinka was 28, you too get out into the public and get your voice out".

Cc: lalasticlala, seun, mynd44, OAM4J

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:51pm On Apr 17, 2016
... In as much as I agree with this op... I must add that there is nothing wrong with anyone that wishes to hear Wole's voice. I don't think Wole is asked to fight any war... All the other op expects is to hear him speak.
Relax!!!

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by madridguy(m): 9:55pm On Apr 17, 2016
@ OP GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL AND INSIGHTFUL WRITE-UP. WAILERS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO RUBBISH EVERY HONEST NIGERIAN THAT SPEAK AGAINST THEIR HERO WHO ALMOST MORTGAGED NIGERIA.

DURING THE WARMUP TO THE LAST GENERAL ELECTION, BABA SOYINKA SAID, AT THIS POINT WE HAVE TWO DEVILS BUT AMONG THE TWO DEVILS WE HAVE AN ANGEL WHICH IS BUHARI. ONLY THE FLAT HEAD LAMINATED BRAINS WILL CALL FOR THE PROFESSOR HEAD FOR SAYING THE TRUTH. SAME WAY THEY WERE CALLING MADAM OBY FOR STOPPING THE BRINGBACKOURGIRLS CRUSADE WHEN THEIR USELESS HERO HAVE TO WAIT FOR A 15 YEARS OLD PAKISTANI GIRL TO TELL HIM TO HOLD MEETING WITH THE CHIBOK GIRLS PARENT ATLEAST TO EASE THEIR PAINS.

LET THEM KEEP RANTING ABOUT THEIR HERO WHO CLOSED DOWN NIGERIA UNIVERSITY FOR A YEAR, HOSPITALS TO MENTION FEW.

THANK GOD THEY HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN THEMSELVES ANOTHER ROLE MODEL THAT TRAVELED TO CHINA TRAIN STATION JUST TO DISGRACE HIMSELF WITH EMPTY PODIUM.

2 Likes

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by Emereolevanwill(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
mtchewww. #trash
Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
You didn't really debunk or attack the op's argument but made an entirely new argument for defense.

I think people like you, not the op of the other thread, is the reason why the youths are at this level.

No, I take it back. The youths of this country have their individual selves to blame and not anyone or any other youth. But at least you get my point.

Understand. On the former thread the Op was simply arguing on the Silence of Soyinka and not the Silence of any youth.

Your argument would have had an atom of commonsense if it really attacked the argument from this angle. What did you do?

You ignorantly attacked the other argument without any direct facts and attacked a nonexistent argument with direct facts.

As a youth, I detest to see a youth or an old man, no matter how old, bring up a dumb point and claim it's the reason for the dearth of the Youth's commonsense.

If you want to uplift the spirit of this weak argument you should cut out the chaffs and attack the proper argument.

The OP in the other thread didn't justify the action of the youth's or anyone but simply questions the inactions of a man.

In a class of philosophers or intellectuals you argument will be thrown in a bottomless pit.
Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by Standing5(m): 11:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
Wailing unlimited is what those seeking to hear Soyinka's voice are doing.

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by maverickdude(m): 11:27pm On Apr 17, 2016
God bless op

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by Nobody: 3:56am On Apr 18, 2016
'There was a country' ... Our president is old, our political leaders are old, and our 'voice', Wole Soyinka. For a long time, the youths have never been considered important in the decision making and running of the nation. All we've done is queue under the sun and rain to vote these centurions into office...
Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by okuneddie(m): 4:47am On Apr 18, 2016
God bless u OP.....but I also think the guy that wrote the former thread was just sharing his thoughts.....u don't expect us to thinks the same way and I must confess he also have a nice write up but urs is better and this is what we call real counter thread

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by tolexy123: 4:51am On Apr 18, 2016
Observing
Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by hucienda: 5:20am On Apr 18, 2016
Both threads are indictments on today's youth ie you and I.

The same folks since 1960 are still in charge today. Soyinka, Achebe, Nzeogwu, Gowon, Ojukwu, Obasanjo, Danjuma, Achuzia, Adekunle et al were in their late twenties and early thirties yet their place in Nigerian history is assured.

That the youths had to bring back the past to take us to the future says a lot about our psyche. That sums up the quagmire- fuel availability, economic bliss and el dorado- we now find ourselves.

I salute we the youths. Keep ranting on facebook, twitter, instagram, nairaland et al whilst the Napoleons of yesteryears in their youth led revolutions in their countries. A look at what's currently playing out in Rousseff's Brazil is a pointer to what the youths can achieve- regardless whether one is pro- or anti-government.

I guess we're all doing a fine job of making Nigeria great again (apologies Mr Trump).

Keep it up.
Re: Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 18, 2016
okuneddie:
God bless u OP.....but I also think the guy that wrote the former thread was just sharing his thoughts.....u don't expect us to thinks the same way and I must confess he also have a nice write up but urs is better and this is what we call real counter thread
Please, how is this a real counter thread when it doesn't even address the subject? Somebody questions another's silence and you questions the silence of other persons and you day he's attacked the subject. How exactly?

(1) (Reply)

N1.4bn Fraud: Court Sentences Ex-kogi Lawmaker To 154-year Jail / Fear Grips Ogd, Okupe And Others Ahead Of Pdp Congress / Tips On How To Buy Fuel Without Queuing In This Dry Seson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.