Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

What Separates Us. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Separates Us. (684 Views)

Gabon Deports 500 W’africans, Separates Nigerian From Wife, Son / What Separates Sharp Guys From Dulling Guys?? / Will Jonathan Become The President Of Niger Delta Republic When Nigeria Separates? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Separates Us. by initiate: 8:20pm On Aug 04, 2009
the issue of tribalism has been a strong factor in Nigeria political environment right from the period of independence. over time it has been said that when those old men all pass away the new and well educated youth would be more accommodating of other cultures and would mingle easily. unfortunately that is not to be as each man first sees himself as Yoruba Ibo or Hausa or any of the minority group before seeing himself as a Nigerian. the issue is all the more passionate amongst the youth, and this is clearly demonstrated on this site where threads that involve tribal cultures and religion are the most animated and passionate. an American on the other hand would just identify a fellow American and that is it.

we need to realise there is strength in numbers and we can achieve great heights if we exploits our potentials rather than spending all energy oj squabbles and baseless sentiments. as a way to start may i suggest that governmnt, schools etc expunge the following two variables from all applications forms ie 1, state of origin and 2, religion. these things emphasize our differences more than our unity.

someone kindly suggest to the legislators. thanks
Re: What Separates Us. by asha80(m): 8:24pm On Aug 04, 2009
You are comparing nigeria to america?
Re: What Separates Us. by initiate: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2009
no im not

i just used that as an example.

the point is we should de emphasize the things that separates us in order to make progress. period
Re: What Separates Us. by asha80(m): 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2009
Go and ask the europians how they dealt with their ethnic issues.It is not something you wish away like africans are fond of doing.
Re: What Separates Us. by invisible2(m): 9:24pm On Aug 04, 2009
It will die with time, its only 40 years ago we have been living together, by the time inter marriages, business, pleasure, adventure will mingle us together for 200 years, ethnic boundaries will become blurred to the point of Yorubas coming to live in Igboland and the Ibos must have become so entrenched in nothern religion that they will be rearing cattle and replace the fulanis in the bush grin grin
Re: What Separates Us. by sjeezy8: 10:29pm On Aug 04, 2009
Theres no need to do that because they ask the same questions in the UK and America. Invisible is right.

But the UK used their unitary system to solve problems of ethnic issues not to long ago the british didn't like the scottish and the scottish didn't like the irish.

All this tribal nonsense is hypocritical bullshit that the western world feeds to Africa.
Re: What Separates Us. by Beaf: 12:22am On Aug 05, 2009
We keep beating tribalism, but are we really right?
To my mind, tribalism is the symptom of several boxes "Nigeria" does not tick. Some of these are captured in the questions:

[list]
[li]What deeper thing than mere words makes a person Nigerian?[/li]
[li]What is the identity of the individual who feels that his ethnic culture offers them more protection than the Nigerian nation?[/li]
[li]What is the identity of the individual who feels that his ethnic culture offers them more love and understanding than the Nigerian nation?[/li]
[/list]

In other words, we need to define the contract between citizen and state (as in America); we need as a basis, to hold a national conference that will define how the component parts of the country as well as each individual co-exists. We have never done that, we've been papering over problems that just keep getting worse by the year.
Re: What Separates Us. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:29am On Aug 05, 2009
What separates us is the wealth of things that makes you different from me. Simple. No long story needed.
Re: What Separates Us. by initiate: 9:09am On Aug 10, 2009
Food for thought.

what if the British and the french and the Germans find themselves lumped together in the same country. would they handle it well?
Re: What Separates Us. by ikeyman00(m): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2009
until some trait are buried for good!!!

quote me

take a look at this one, below

tpia
they? all wana see lagos fall naw

what former capital of nigeria(oil money), IBB onced lived there, a lot of ebos,igbos egbas etc got family homes, buizness there

and some people de yan like that

eko ej opps whats the words now
Re: What Separates Us. by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 10, 2009
Beaf:

We keep beating tribalism, but are we really right?
To my mind, tribalism is the symptom of several boxes "Nigeria" does not tick. Some of these are captured in the questions:

[list]
[li]What deeper thing than mere words makes a person Nigerian?[/li]
[li]What is the identity of the individual who feels that his ethnic culture offers them more protection than the Nigerian nation?[/li]
[li]What is the identity of the individual who feels that his ethnic culture offers them more love and understanding than the Nigerian nation?[/li]
[/list]

In other words, we need to define the contract between citizen and state (as in America); we need as a basis, to hold a national conference that will define how the component parts of the country as well as each individual co-exists. We have never done that, we've been papering over problems that just keep getting worse by the year.

What more can I say!

initiate:

Food for thought.

what if the British and the french and the Germans find themselves lumped together in the same country. would they handle it well?

Trust me, they will co-exist perfectly. They will do that by summoning a national conference to know whats good and bad for each of them.
On the other hand, EU is more like a country.
Re: What Separates Us. by ikeyman00(m): 9:28am On Aug 10, 2009
nuzu

good to see u after watchin typhoon in Wenzhon

hmm abi rain don carry ur bag self
Re: What Separates Us. by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 10, 2009
ikeyman00:

nuzu

good to see u after watchin typhoon in Wenzhon

hmm abi rain don carry ur bag self

Why u dey ask after my welfare as if you care?

Retard. angry
Re: What Separates Us. by ikeyman00(m): 9:32am On Aug 10, 2009
no amount of excuses will redefine tribalism

weather u like am or not

u are a nigeria, but as we know things arent the way it should be

cuz when u gone, u could be buried along side abacha family and oduduwa with some trait

so let nigeria be real and start to brigde the gap

in 2009, the only thing that brigdes the gap na super-eagles

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i think we know the reason
Re: What Separates Us. by ikeyman00(m): 9:34am On Aug 10, 2009
nuzu

make u cool down naw hahha grin

ikeyman aka superman the most patriotic nigeria, first on Nl

u are questioning

i care ooo
Re: What Separates Us. by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2009
ikeyman00:

nuzu

make u cool down naw hahha grin

ikeyman aka superman the most patriotic nigeria, first on Nl

u are questioning

i care ooo

@spiderman, batman, wonderwoman, catman etc

IBB and OBJ are also patriotic nigerians. tongue
Re: What Separates Us. by ikeyman00(m): 11:04pm On Aug 10, 2009
^^^^

no spiderman more like gay

so nuzu u are lookin out for kolo lipsrsealed

grin

(1) (Reply)

Us Army Prepares For Nigeria’s Possible Break-up / Saudi King Writes Yar’adua’s Nigeria At 49 / Speaker Hon.bankole, Deputy Buy 18 Bullet-proof Vehicles - Each Costs N85m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.