Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria (61847 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / Abducted Bayelsa Ese: I'm 17 Yrs, I'm Here To Be A Muslim, Don't Want To Go Back / What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
AirSultan:
It means "Open your bum bum up" grin kiss
cheesy
Na u talk am oo grin
Se u understand yoruba 2 dat extent
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by gbaskiboy: 8:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
Fmartin:
1. Saraki your child will become a criminal.
2. Foyose your child will talk to much like he has a mental problem.
3. Lai your pikin go sabi lie well well.
grin
hahahahaha so funny grin
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by tickles2luv2016(m): 8:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
Lamidi,iskilu,suweba,thomas etc

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Rexhenrex(m): 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
mystiqueDZ:
AmUobi Obumneke grin grin grin
lmao...explain why u are against the first name?

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Bonnywest: 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2016
Akpan

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by misshoree(f): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2016
Nfn is wrong with Alice

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Fabrolistic: 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2016
Okosuma,
obominirun.
Amobi.
Amuneke
nkiruka
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by jozee08(m): 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2016
DONOTEGA:
Abacha Buhari Ibori Anini Ibu grin >: grin grin grin grin
what of Obachonjo?
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by tickles2luv2016(m): 8:15pm On Apr 18, 2016
Oliviaxx:
Hyginus
Longinus
Romanus
Callistus
Evaristus
Lastly,leviticus,ignoramus

2 Likes

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by otemanuduno: 8:16pm On Apr 18, 2016
ItzTun3chi:

see your useless life.you no even fit spell fayose.. Na u gan gan be sule aka demo. ediot undecided
. Na wah for u o. How u sabi say Na Fayose him wan spell? So u really admit that Fayose is a chatterbox?

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by bofoy(m): 8:17pm On Apr 18, 2016
Okafor
EZE

POLICAP

OJUKWU

CRIMINALITY /TRAFFICKING
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by mike404(m): 8:18pm On Apr 18, 2016
mystiqueDZ:
AmUobi
Obumneke
grin grin grin
CHIKERE
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by bofoy(m): 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ada = Runs girl / hottest
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by michaeak: 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2016
Chukura
Cilifat
Kabiru
Kamilu
Chidioke
Kabiru
Tompolo
Asari dokubor

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
HateU2:
cheesy
Na u talk am oo grin
Se u understand yoruba 2 dat extent
Yes o cheesy Told you I am learning now.
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by otemanuduno: 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
anivic91:
abeg, I just joined nairaland, how do I comment on a post..
. Simple. just type your enquiry on Google.
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by youngest85(m): 8:22pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ahasuerus2:
What of Chukwuruobi First time I heard that name I had brain seizures.
what is the meaning?
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by SuzieeDee(f): 8:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
donbenedict:
Susanna grin
See your big head angry

4 Likes

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 18, 2016
AirSultan:
Yes o cheesy Told you I am learning now.
dats gud cheesy
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by meccuno: 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2016
McBrooklyn:
Firstly, this is Nigeria and there is the need to carefully review the kind of names we give our children. We are a nation with a deep rooted belief for culture and value. While many people prefer to give their children foreign names, many people do not want to lose touch with the culture we have tried to preserve for years.
That being said, there are some indigenous names you dare not name your child in this present age and day. Not only are these names bastardized, they have become a subject of ridicule amongst people. Some names in Nigeria depict stupidity and go on to portray the bearers of such names as people who are not smart and are naturally stupid.
It should be known that the names you give a child go a long way in that child’s future. A child named after wealth could become immensely rich people would start to marvel at his or her success. Give a child a name that means bitterness and you would be surprised to see that child goes through trials and tribulations all through his life.
Without wasting much time, check out some of the names you may not want to name a child in Nigeria:

1. Akpos
Please if your wife is expecting a child, do not include Akpos when you are compiling names to give that child. Akpos have become the joke of the century in Nigeria and is being used wildly in the entertainment world.
People who bear this name are so dumb they could hardly make sentences that are filled with good points. This character may stick to your unborn child as he may never be taken serious.

2. Sule
This name has Islamic background. Many Nigerians now use it when they want to mock people. A person being called Sule may not necessarily have that as his original name but then it means the person is not smart or intelligent.
Calling a person that is aimed at making him or her know he is acting stupid or actually stupid. If you go on naming your child that, don’t say we did not warn you.

3. Alice
This is the name most maids bear in Nigeria. We are sorry if that is your name but then, we are sure you would not want to name your child that too. Moreover, the name is becoming archaic so why bother naming your daughter that? Or do you want your child to become somebody’s maid in the nearest future?

4. Ekaette
This is a Calabar name and if you are familiar with people from this part of Nigeria, you would know they are wonderful cooks. There is really no problem giving your daughter this name if you have dreams of her becoming a cook.
Most of the girls portrayed as Ekaette are not just good in the kitchen; they have an added advantage when it comes to bedroom skills if you know what we mean.

5. Muri
This is a bit sad as we have a hero with the name Muritala. Yes we know people are trying to make the name sound more ‘Behind’ by coming up with ‘funkified’ versions of it. But forget that, Muri would always be Muri in Nigeria. And you definitely do not want to be called that or make an innocent child go through the agony of being mocked.

6. Dejo
This is a popular character in the Yoruba film industry but you do not want to have a child named that. Like all the other names mentioned here, this name has a meaning and it is rather unfortunate that the beauty of this name is being replaced with chronic stupidity.
Call your son Dejo and watch people add ‘Tufulu’ as the suffix. grin

7. Okoro
This is an Igbo name but people generally believe that a person called this has to be bald or someone with receding hairline. Why do you want your child a name like that? But then, you could ignore this and wake up to see your hairy child bald. Please do not go challenge your mother in-law abeg oh! grin

I drop my pen here, you can also add your's

https://www.naij.com/800526-7-names-dont-want-give-children-nigeria.html
anini. Bala. Mumuni. Chukwudi.
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Symdy(m): 8:29pm On Apr 18, 2016
Buhari means Suffering, Focusless
Lai means lie
Orubebe means Scatter
Jona means kindergaten
APC means Confussion, Propaganda
Oshibanjo means Lack of Job
Minister means Noise

1 Like

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Etizz: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2016
And what makes u think akpos is a name....

It's just a short form of akpevwe, akpowoghene, akpotu etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
HateU2:
dats gud cheesy
Of cos it is. cheesy goodeevening
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by SOPIGO: 8:48pm On Apr 18, 2016
Op u are a liar.... Till tomorrow Akpos still remains a name in Urhobo land
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Eeroh95(m): 8:49pm On Apr 18, 2016
What of anini the notorious?
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ksmart22:
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Nnasari Jonathan or Dame Patience
lol nairalanders sabi find trouble o. Na wetin i been was post sha but you were fast enough.
Also included are
mohammed
musa
etc
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2016
AirSultan:
Of cos it is. cheesy goodeevening
Gud eveni bro.
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by oluwatobyloba(f): 8:54pm On Apr 18, 2016
Fmartin:
1. Saraki
your child will become a criminal.

2. Foyose
your child will talk to much like he has a mental problem.

3. Lai
your pikin go sabi lie well well.

grin
let me add jooor

Stella

a. Your pikin go sabi snatch person husband wella (Stella Damascus)

b. She go sabi do aproko wella( Stella Dimok)

c. She go sabi steal public fund buy unnecessary cars ( Stella Oduah)
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by tico1212(m): 8:54pm On Apr 18, 2016
Shina
Your child will end up being a gate man

Muyiwa
As it sounds.... the child career will me a messenger
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Veektoria(f): 8:56pm On Apr 18, 2016
babasolo:

Secondus and livinus
grin grin
Solo.. tongue
Perpetual.. grin
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 18, 2016
HateU2:
Gud eveni bro.
hope you had a great day, I did.
Re: 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria by MissOmaa: 9:00pm On Apr 18, 2016
I think its Chijioke in Igbo not chidioke not sure tho

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Priscilla Emasoga Buys 2 Cars For Her Parents (Pictures) / Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Meet Monica Okoye With 12 Children, 36 Grandchildren, 43 Great Grandchildren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.