Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) (541 Views)

Court Sentences Student Of Lead City University, Ibadan, To Death By Hanging / Nigerian Girl Becomes President Of The Harvard Law Review / Nneoma Nwankwo Named Virginia Tech’s Undergraduate Student Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) by afrifuturestarz(m): 3:01pm On Apr 20, 2016
Nneoma Nwankwo has become “Virginia Tech Undergraduate Student of the Year” – This prestigious award recognizes undergraduate students who have achieved overall excellence during their career at the university – Nwankwo studied the negative effects of poor menstrual hygiene management on the education and socio-economic empowerment of girls in Africa

Nneoma Nwankwo from Lagos is making all Nigerians proud as she has become “Undergraduate Student of the Year” in Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, popularly known as Virginia Tech. According to the information on the official website of Virginia Tech, the young girl will graduate in May with a degree in political science in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.

Nwankwo is minoring in public and urban affairs and creative writing. She is also engaged in domestic and international service and research on issues facing girls and women in developing nations. “At Virginia Tech, I have been challenged to live in service to others. I have learned how to lead boldly as I pursue my global development interests,” she said.

The girl noted that by serving those around her, she create a meaningful life for herself. “Virginia Tech Undergraduate Student of the Year” award recognizes undergraduate students who have achieved overall excellence during their career at the university. Only students with exceptional and balanced achievement in academics, leadership, and service can win the award.

In autumn 2013, Nwankwo undertook an independent study supervised by Ralph Hall, the assistant professor of Urban Affairs and Planning, School of Public and International Affairs in the College of Architecture and Urban Studies.

Her research topic was negative effects of poor menstrual hygiene management (MHM) on the education and socio-economic empowerment of girls in underserved areas of sub-Saharan Africa. “Nneoma’s ability to lead her own research in Nigeria and develop and deliver workshops on MHM and adolescent sexuality provide some insight into her unique set of skills and capabilities. “I believe Nneoma’s focus on MHM in schools is one of the most important issues facing young women in developing countries.

Her future research and engagement in this area is likely to be transformative for her and for those she is able to touch,” Hall said. Speaking about her research, Nwankwo said: “For me, it was necessary for women’s voices to be heard; thus, in Nigeria, I conducted focus groups and workshops with young women.

In the Republic of Niger, I participated in the Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council and United Nations Women menstrual hygiene trainings, which were aimed at lobbying national policymakers to establish MHM as a top priority in water and sanitation legislation. Through these unique experiences, I found passion in working in the service of others.”

Despite being so young, Nwankwo has already held many leadership positions across campus. She served as the fundraising chair for the African Students Association and raised money for a local charity in Ethiopia.

Read more http://www.africafuturestars.com/2016/04/nigerian-girl-becomes-student-of-year.html?m=1

Re: Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2016
Kudos Girl, keep making us proud.
Re: Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) by IamOpemipo(m): 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2016
C beta environment for learning, how naija blood no go pass?

Congrat asa'nwa grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Becomes 'student Of The Year' In Virginia Tech, USA (photo) by Twizzy30(m): 12:59am On Apr 21, 2016
Ok. Thumbs up omo ibo[b][/b] smiley

(1) (Reply)

Online Obiee Training From India / Fidelity Bank RSE Recruitment 2016 / University Of Ibadan Pg Applicants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.