Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook (47852 Views)

10 People Who Filmed Their Own Death On Facebook LIVE ! (photos) / What Are The Details You Pay Attention To Before Buying A Smartphone? / "Burial Was Fun" See What A Girl Posted On Facebook {pic} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by nze4al(m): 4:04pm On Apr 20, 2016
Facebook is all about connecting and sharing your life with friends, family and other people you know. You can also meet new friends, promotes your business, and do a lot of other fun things with it.

Unfortunately, there are just some things you shouldn’t share or make online to the public. These bits of information can put you in danger of identity theft, losing your account to hackers, losing your job or causing other major life trouble. Here are the top six of your important details I think you shouldn’t share or make them online to the public.

Before we continue, however, this is a good time to remind you that Facebook has a range of privacy controls to limit what certain people can see about you. Follow our simple step-by-step guides to keep strangers and snoops out of your Facebook profile.

1. YOUR PHONE NUMBER
It’s very important to avoid having your phone numbers on your Facebook page. As prank callers, stalkers and even identity thieves can use this information against you to ruin your day.

Not only that, but people who have your phone number, which isn’t hard to find online, can use it to search for you on Facebook.

Although there are times it is good to give your phone number to Facebook, such as turning on two-factor authentication (for extra protection of you account). But if you do give your phone number to Facebook, just make sure to hide it in your profile.

To hide your phone number from the public, just go to Facebook and click on your name at the top of the page. When your profile page loads, click the “About” tab just below your cover image. Go to “Contact and Basic Info” in the left column and next to your phone number click the “Edit” link.

Click the audience selector icon, which will either be a globe or a silhouette of two people and change it to “Only me.” Now no one but you can see your phone number, and it won’t show up in searches.

2. YOUR HOME ADDRESS
It’s only people trying to steal your identity, or rob your house, could take advantage of knowing your home address. So be sure that none of that information is visible anywhere on your Facebook profile.

Just follow the directions in the last section to get into the “Contact and Basic Info” section of your profile information. Look for “Neighborhood,” and if there’s an address there, click the “Edit” link next to it and wipe out the information. Then click “Save Changes.”

3. ANYTHING WORK-RELATED
This is also very important, try not to leave any information on your Facebook that reveals where you work. You don’t just have to worry about identity thieves when it comes to your employment.

If someone from your workplace tries to search for employees on Facebook, then they might find something that they don’t like. Similarly, if a hacker wanted to figure out whom to target if they wanted to break into your workplace’s computers, social media would be their first stop. So be wise and hide all your work related information or if possible delete them.

4. YOUR RELATIONSHIP STATUS
Including your relationship status on your Facebook page just invites awkwardness. Certain relationship statuses are also a draw for cyberstalkers. And don’t forget that scammers out there who specialize in sweetheart scams. They use social media, email and dating sites to create a romantic connection with you and then swindle you out of money. You don’t want them to see that you’re single on Facebook and get ideas.

It’s easier to just remove your relationship status entirely. Let people find out about changes in your relationship naturally and not passively acknowledge your relationship status by “likes” and comments.

5. YOUR BIRTHDATE
Yes, your birthdate it’s also an important details you should hide from the public. When you signed up for Facebook, it asked for your birthdate. This is both to confirm that you’re older than 13, and so Facebook can remind your friends to wish you a happy birthday.

Unfortunately, your birthdate is a piece of information that identity thieves will need if they want to pretend to be you. You don’t want this information publicly available.

In your Facebook profile, click your name at the top. Then beneath your cover photo click “About.” Under “About” in the left column, choose “Contact and Basic Info.” Next to “Birth Date” click the “Edit” icon. Then click the audience selector icons for both day and year and choose “Only Me.” Then click the “Save Changes” button.

6. YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION
This is the last and most important one. Facebook is free to use, but it still wants your credit card number. Adding your financial information lets you buy gift cards, facebook ads, and other products straight through the website. I normally use this feature to buy the facebook ads. How convenient and helpful!

Of course, one of the best ways to accidentally get your credit card charged for something could be to leave your Facebook profile open on your computer or phone. A small family member or “joking” friend at your home could use it to spend money on something straight through Facebook. You don’t want that to happen, do you?

So prevention is better than cure. To remove it, open your Facebook, click the upside-down triangle in the top right corner and choose “Settings.” In the left column select “Payments,” and then on the right go the “Account Settings” tab. You can see if you have any saved payment information and remove it.

If this post was helpful to you, please show some love by sharing this post with your friends.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/04/16/6-important-details-you-shouldnt-make-public-to-online-on-facebook/

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Welber(f): 4:10pm On Apr 20, 2016
Simply put

Don't make your LIFE public on facebook

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by superfelix: 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2016
Nice one Op... But, that person should kuku quit Facebook nigbayen!

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by stzy(m): 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Joeyjones(m): 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2016
But some peoples relationship status are official through facebook

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by XtraSmooth404: 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
Some of my friends have turned Facebook to their personal diaries. Most times I simply just log in to distribute 'Likes' for my friends pictures and stuff.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Kezifils(m): 5:14pm On Apr 20, 2016
In summary to all that the op has said, Do not own a social media account

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by sevantex(m): 5:41pm On Apr 20, 2016
Kezifils:
In summary to all that the op has said, Do not own a social media account
Naa, he dint say not to own a social media account. All he is sayin is, be cautious of personal information u put out there, alot of strange and wierd tins happen and it gets easier if scrupulous elements have access to ur info. God help us all

15 Likes

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by prettyjo(f): 6:45pm On Apr 20, 2016
nothing wrong with the birth date...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Mustiboy(m): 6:53pm On Apr 20, 2016
holy crappy piece of sh*t. I'm outta here

12 Likes

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Happywoman(f): 7:12pm On Apr 20, 2016
Any detail of urs u won't like to see on CNN or a-jezeera, just don't post it on any social media platform. Kapish

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Zico5(m): 7:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
Good
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by goodlifehyd1: 7:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
Some people are so addicted that they even update their present location on FB, the funniest ones are those who write thank you for accepting lol and the most annoying are those e-goats who just add you to one useless group

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Nelkoko: 7:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
Wat if i post abt baba trying to solve 9ja wahala like dis. Na bad Tin?

5 Likes

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 20, 2016
I prefer nairaland to facebook. I gain alot from here than facebook . that's why I seldom visit facebook.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by blackboy(m): 7:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
Relationship status is okay to display and birthday and month but the year can be left out

6 Likes

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by englishmart(m): 7:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
its Facebook and not biography.
Na only my face you go see.

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by cocoduck: 7:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
RockStar called it life invader in GTA5
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by wizkidblogger(f): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
Story for the gods
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by goodlifehyd1: 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
facebook is kinda getting outdated, if i aint on NL then i would be on IG
2kaybiel:
I prefer nairaland to facebook. I gain alot from here than facebook . that's why I seldom visit facebook.
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by MRNipples(m): 7:40pm On Apr 20, 2016
Nice one d birth date is not healthy for entertainers and sportsmen including those that use false age for their appointment, people can use ur real birthday on facebuk to destroy ur career.
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by tintingz(m): 7:40pm On Apr 20, 2016
In addition.

-- Posting Pictures of boyfriend and girlfriend : You guys are not yet engaged, why posting pictures of you and your partner? Which kyn love be that? undecided

-- Núdity : This is common among teenage girls you will see them posting half-nàked pics just to get likes, are you maheeda, Kim kardeshian abi amber rose? undecided

-- Using silly names : This is also common among teenagers using silly names, is it that you don't want people to search you on Facebook, if so then delete your account.

-- Posting what you doing: People don't care what you're doing, you will see status like eating things, walking things, dancing things, sleeping things, shiiting things haba why not start your own reality show.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by vybrant(m): 7:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
Looking at the OP like...

1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
The aim of Facebook is to reconnect old friends or classmates that lost contact of each other back again and to to achieve this what they need to search and hook up with you is nothing but your name and your profile picture which is meant to be only your face..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by ubaobi: 7:45pm On Apr 20, 2016
True.. Most of the info that is used by scammers are obtained from social media.. Certain info should really be kept private. That's D reality of D world we currently live in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by pinkiberry(m): 7:47pm On Apr 20, 2016
my problem with Facebook is that my dad is on facebook . he sent me a friend request. I used 3 days to contemplate if i should accept or not. then I accept now he comment on all my posts. and tell me the one he likes and dislike. I think I will quit Facebook angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Pavore9: 7:47pm On Apr 20, 2016
Informative.
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by Dannyset(m): 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2016
Don't Facebook your life!
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by donnumber1(m): 7:50pm On Apr 20, 2016
What do u expect me to put then, since I now do most of my deals online .
Re: 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook by pupsyd: 7:50pm On Apr 20, 2016
? Unless your ways are not pure

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn Unlimited 2go Subscription Codes... Free 2go For One Month / Best airtel bis plan for android / Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.