Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,745 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:54 AM

Can I Sue My School For This - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Sue My School For This (599 Views)

PHOTO: Young Girl Rejected By Catholic School For Refusing To Shave Her Hair / My School Declared Me Wanted On 10th December. / Photos Of The Scorpion I Killed In My School Hostel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Sue My School For This by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 21, 2016
Pls Nairalanders, I need your advice and suggestion.

I graduated from a Federal university in Nigeria. There was a mistake in my final year result that made me drop from a first class to a 2:1.

The mistake has to do with my project. I was given a 'B' instead of an 'A' and this drooped my CGPA. My project supervisor and lecturers in the dept noticed it and some promised to rectify the issue. I saw my college Dean and my DVC and they all promised it was a rectifiable error which they would work on. But in all, my HOD was acting strangely. And that led to a delay in the whole process.

My Dad angrily wrote a letter to the V.C about the issue, and in about three weeks time I got a letter that senate has disapproved my request for lack of merit. This is something I have documents to prove.

1. I have a copy of the letter my project supervisor wrote that he didn't send his own grading of my project cos he gave me the letter to give to another lecturer and i have the photocopy.

2. there is also a letter stating my corrected score, that the senate ignored.

Pls what are my chances of succeeding if I take up the case legally.

The 2:1 is hindering me of a lot of opportunities i had planed for, in terms of scholarship and blue chips jobs.

Pls I need your advice.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by mccoy47(m): 8:20am On Apr 21, 2016
Where you scored a 'B' but feel u deserve an 'A' or where you scored an 'A' but was recorded a 'B' in your result.

If a latter was your case then I think you have a case, if not. Am afraid OYO is your case

#Goodluck
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by UnibenPilot: 8:30am On Apr 21, 2016
re-write the letter to the vice chancellor.
This time, attach all documents to prove your claim to the letter. wishing you the best.

uniben aspirants and students check my signature.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2016
mccoy47:
Where you scored a 'B' but feel u deserve an 'A' or where you scored an 'A' but was recorded a 'B' in your result.

If a latter was your case then I think you have a case, if not. Am afraid OYO is your case

#Goodluck

Let me explain..

For project, the external supervisor grades 50 marks, while the internal grades 50.

My internal supervisor didn't send his own grading, so the lecturer compiling the scores, just multiplied the external supervisor score by 2. which resulted in a 'B'. But my internal supervisor later sent his own score which upgraded the score to an 'A' but the school authority is ignoring that.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 21, 2016
redlyunited:

Let me explain..

For project, the external supervisor grades 50 marks, while the internal grades 50.

My internal supervisor didn't send his own grading, so the lecturer compiling the scores, just multiplied the external supervisor score by 2. which resulted in a 'B'. But my internal supervisor later sent his own score which upgraded the score to an 'A' but the school authority is ignoring that.
Were u the only one that the internal supervisor did not send ur score? If no then u have to involve other of ur colleagues that way it would make it appear serious. The senate in ur school has a point that ur argument lacks merit cos it would be like after all same grading was used for all. U can only make a case by involving others otherwise I doubt if ur case can be treated in isolation cos it would amount to cheating others.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by Fxwarrior: 9:08am On Apr 21, 2016
Did you sign an undertaking during your first year that you won't take your school to court?
Suing your university may have consequences but if you feel you have nothing to lose, go on.

It seems like an ant fighting a lizard scenario. Let it go, painfully so.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 21, 2016
ethene:

Were u the only one that the internal supervisor did not send ur score? If no then u have to involve other of ur colleagues that way it would make it appear serious. The senate in ur school has a point that ur argument lacks merit cos it would be like after all same grading was used for all. U can only make a case by involving others otherwise I doubt if ur case can be treated in isolation cos it would amount to cheating others.

Unfortunately my score was the only one he didn't send. He sent others. He himself was distraught with the whole stuff, that was why he wrote a letter admitting that he made a mistake.
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 21, 2016
Fxwarrior:
Did you sign an undertaking during your first year that you won't take your school to court?
Suing your university may have consequences but if you feel you have nothing to lose, go on.

It seems like an ant fighting a lizard scenario. Let it go, painfully so.

No we didn't sign any undertaken... I don't think a have anything to lose...
Re: Can I Sue My School For This by babyfaceafrica: 11:04am On Apr 21, 2016
I will advise you to let it slide unless you have sufficient fund and time to waste.Court processes in nigeria take time and you are taking a whole federal university to the court,they have money and they have more experience in you in these type of matter ,of course this is not the first time it would happen.however if you have the money and time...you can go ahead with the case..cos I can bet you it won't be resolved in one year...the choice is yours.there are still enough scholarships they grant 2.1.you are a first class student ,irrespective of what a certficate says!!!

(1) (Reply)

HND/BSC - Nigeria To End Discrimination Against HND / Invitation To Apply For Admission Into Undergraduate And Graduate Degrees / 5 Types Of Students You'll Find In Night Class (late Night Reading Sessions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.