Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,274 members, 7,836,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: (5797 Views)

Amaechi Loses His Temper On A LoveFM Presenter Who Exposed His Hipocrisy / Nigerian Police With Big Stomach- Can He Still Do His Job? See Photo / Martin Luther Agwai's Speech At Obasanjo's Birthday That Made Him Lose His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by mikeoscar: 9:53pm On Aug 06, 2009
@safariman,
yep I agree with you, might even change the entire story if He has a good Attorney. I agree with most people that He should probably have been given a milder punishment e.g. warning, pay-cut, suspension WOP etc. Management may also have a policy of personnel not talking to press with incidents like this and He blew it. Trust Americans with their crave for "five minutes of fame".
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by bestvera: 9:59pm On Aug 06, 2009
He should be sacked because he put the lives of everyone there in great danger, some robbers are so crazy that they will get pissed and start shooting at everyone.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by mikeoscar: 10:03pm On Aug 06, 2009
@bestvera,
He already ascertained the guy didn't have a weapon, He lunged or jumped at him, chased him out, pinned him down till the cops came. Yes He went too far. Just calling 911 or some security in His bank from His desk would have sent the robber flying on his own.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by krispoly(m): 10:12pm On Aug 06, 2009
It still amazes me how the robber could have even walked into a banking hall to rob without arming himself. Na wa for oyinbo robber oo!!!
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
even if the thief steals the money, the Insurance company will pay back so y the wahala? the staff might even be sued for risking his or her life
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by tayoast(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2009
In as much as d bank's policy is to protect human lives, the banks was trying to cover its ass too.

Imagine if d robber had killed d staff, d bank 'll be obliged to cough out some compensation to d staff's family.

Good thinking!
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by canuck(m): 11:01pm On Aug 06, 2009
It's a tough call though, poor guy. Policies are bright lines, not suggestions.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Outstrip(f): 12:43am On Aug 07, 2009
There was a manager at Walgreens that ran after a shoplifter and he slipped outside and his head hit a pole that was protruding out of the floor. It perforated his skull and killed him. It is never worth it.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by rubi(f): 2:25am On Aug 07, 2009
Heros die before their time
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by FARAMADE(m): 2:56am On Aug 07, 2009
Life is not replaceable, it is also not insurable, insurance is supposed to indemnify your loss meaning to leave you exactly as you were before the incident or accident, obviously if you lose your life you can never get it back
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by PurestBoy(m): 3:44am On Aug 07, 2009
Na which kain robber go go bank without gun? Na wa for this oyinbo people sef
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by bizbone(f): 8:15am On Aug 07, 2009
the guy is a dummy putting others life in danger.
who does he think he is? superman.
if it were to be in NIGERIA it would have been something else.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by charlione(m): 8:53am On Aug 07, 2009
chyk91:

if na naija the guy 4 don get double promotion

sorry to disappoint u but u're wrong. The same policy applies to Nigerian banks
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by jamace(m): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2009
Law is a dumb ass.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Nezan(m): 9:41am On Aug 07, 2009
dem wacked up fellas.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by back2back(f): 9:52am On Aug 07, 2009
The decision is CORRECT.

Rule of Law. He was not employed to chase robbers.

He was employed to pay and that is what he should have DONE.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by sesman(m): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2009
i agree, it was the correct decision, let's say the guy had a weapon, he has put his life and the life of others in great risk,
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by smooooooth: 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2009
thats what u get when u dnt stick to your job. he is meant to be a teller not 007. i think the bank did the right thing. cos employee safety should come b4 the money. life is irreplaceable. if he gets a commendation, then other guys will be hoping another opportunity comes up, so they can display their bruce lee, and jet li skills. and the robbers may have a shut gun this time.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Borat1: 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2009
smooooooth:

[b]he is meant to be a teller not 00[/b]7

My Broda,
are you sure he's not a double agent? grin
very foolish of him i must say, but he should have been reprimanded and allowed to go on with his work
how can you sack someone in this recession because of that? chai
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by switch47(m): 6:25pm On Aug 07, 2009
first of all----the topic dey wrong!! BANK TELLER LOSES HIS JOB FOR STOPING A ROBBER ! !

company policies must be treated not by just a blanket application but on a case by case basis ------------ the guy was cock sure the robber wasnt armed and he acted on his intution (instinct) does that now mean that banks should now be robbed by any unarmed guy------and bank worker comply even when it is obvious that the guy only has one or two bubble gum rapps in his shallow pocket? all of dem dey crase!
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Outstrip(f): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2009
switch47:

first of all----the topic dey wrong!! BANK TELLER LOSES HIS JOB FOR STOPING A ROBBER ! !

company policies must be treated not by just a blanket application but on a case by case basis ------------ the guy was cock sure the robber wasnt armed and he acted on his intution (instinct) does that now mean that banks should now be robbed by any unarmed guy------and bank worker comply even when it is obvious that the guy only has one or two bubble gum rapps in his shallow pocket? all of dem dey crase!

How was he sure. Did he pat him down. He was not sure. If police can figure out that a guy in unarmed just from his behavior then they will not need to pat down. What if this guy had a gun and when Mr Hero chased him down he shot and hurt or killed a customer in the bank. You can never bring someone back and the bank will definitely be sued.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by manny4life(m): 7:18pm On Aug 07, 2009
pappilo:

Most of the responses here are dumb! You make it look as easy as if it was a case of the Bank instructing its tellers not to swear at a customer regardless of provocation. This brave man was caught up in an armed robbery. It is not you everyday case of dealing with a loud and irate customer. When someone walks up to your window and tells you he has a gun, no amount of training can prepare you for such a situation. At that point in time it is a case of fight or flight, it is human nature. The man acted on Impulse. How can you fire a person for being a human being.

I rememeber a case in the UK where a child drowned in a lake because 2 police community officers who could swim refused to jump in to rescue the child because they werent trained to rescue drowning people. Basically saying it is not in my job description

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7006412.stm

It is not for you to criticize other people opinions as DUMB.

In our everyday lives, no one wishes for some evil or negative befall them, however, if your training cannot prepare one for such situations, what can? Oh let me guess, impulse? Yeah right, impulse on what grounds, and that is not just enough, period.

Years back when I worked for two major retailers while in school, I have seen managers get fired as a result of something like this. Here is one scenario; In 2008, I once worked for a CVS Pharmacy store between 14th and 19th K street in DC, A SHOP LIFTER walks in to the store as usual to steal. The store manager was on duty that afternoon when the "thief" came in and he started to watch him from the camera, and found him stealing a whole lot of stuff. This was in the Winter period and they wore a good number of jackets to stuff all this items in them. This store manager is about 5 feet 3, and the said SHOP LIFTER is about 6 feet 2, you can see the height difference and the manager goes to stop the SHOP LIFTER, and when he held his jacket, the SHOP LIFTER gives the manager just one blow to the face, guess what, the Manager falls to the floor and passed out. Obviously they called the police and the whole nine yards. But after this happened, the manager spent almost two weeks in the hospital with unpaid salary for that period and he took care of his own emergency and hospital fees. If I was correct, insurance refused to cover his hospital bills because he violated Loss prevention guideline by attempting to apprehend a SHOP LIFTER, not only that after his hospital leave, CVS placed him on administrative leave which is obviously unpaid, well he was lucky that the Regional Manager loved him so much that he gave him a final chance and he had his job back after almost 90 days later. They told him although he had stolen almost $500 worth of items, it still wasn't enough for him to act stupidly. CVS clearly said hurting yourself, well you asked for it, hurting some else as a result of that is selfish and could have landed CVS in a civil or criminal lawsuit on their part of negligence.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by manny4life(m): 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2009
manny4life:

Very [b]DUMB [/b]of him to have pursued the robber. While money is insured through FDIC, tellers lives are not insured in which case she was correct.  The teller's life cannot be replaced, and firing him was the best thing because he endangered the lives of other employees and customers within the bank premises and more so the risk is even more higher. This time when this robber is coming back, definitely he will reinforce himself and who knows what happens next. Does he know how much fines he has imposed on this bank for outrightly flouting both bank policies and state banking regulations for such stupid act. He was lucky that the robber had not retaliated and had causalities, otherwise he would be standing on the defense stand. He should be lucky that the robber is not suing him for harassment, and violiating his rights because he was not caught in the act. Anyway we have not heard the last of this story.

In our everyday lives, no one wishes for some evil or negative befall them, however, if your training cannot prepare one for such situations, what can? Oh let me guess, impulse? Yeah right, impulse on what grounds, and that is not just enough, period.

Years back when I worked for two major retailers while in school, I have seen managers get fired as a result of something like this. Here is one scenario; In 2008, I once worked for a CVS Pharmacy store between 14th and 19th K street in DC, A SHOP LIFTER walks in to the store as usual to steal. The store manager was on duty that afternoon when the "thief" came in and he started to watch him from the camera, and found him stealing a whole lot of stuff. This was in the Winter period and they wore a good number of jackets to stuff all this items in them. This store manager is about 5 feet 3, and the said SHOP LIFTER is about 6 feet 2, you can see the height difference and the manager goes to stop the SHOP LIFTER, and when he held his jacket, the SHOP LIFTER gives the manager just one blow to the face, guess what, the Manager falls to the floor and passed out. Obviously they called the police and the whole nine yards. But after this happened, the manager spent almost two weeks in the hospital with unpaid salary for that period and he took care of his own emergency and hospital fees. If I was correct, insurance refused to cover his hospital bills because he violated Loss prevention guideline by attempting to apprehend a SHOP LIFTER, not only that after his hospital leave, CVS placed him on administrative leave which is obviously unpaid, well he was lucky that the Regional Manager loved him so much that he gave him a final chance and he had his job back after almost 90 days later. They told him although he had stolen almost $500 worth of items, it still wasn't enough for him to act stupidly. CVS clearly said hurting yourself, well you asked for it, someone else hurt as a result of that is selfish and could have landed CVS in a civil or criminal lawsuit on their part of negligence.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by switch47(m): 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2009
Outstrip:

How was he sure. Did he pat him down. He was not sure. If police can figure out that a guy in unarmed just from his behavior then they will not need to pat down. What if this guy had a gun and when Mr Hero chased him down he shot and hurt or killed a customer in the bank. You can never bring someone back and the bank will definitely be sued.
  whether you like it or not the guy na hero------and i can give him a job in my own company for that--------when a person walks into a bank with just sunglases and when asked to display his weapon takes to his heels his facial expression mannarism and disposition is enough to show you he is not armed.   well the law provides for CITIZENS POWER TO ARREST!! in  USA  and  even   in  NIGERIA-----  the guy was right when he said the yeye bank just want to set an example so that a mumu teller wont do that in a differentrent situation when it appeared a criminal is not armed.   i know most people here agree with the banks decision because no be for nigeria. USA peeps aint always right!! i DISAGREE!!   the Tiff pick race run far---the guy no near anywhere close to the bank when he catch am.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by krispoly(m): 10:53pm On Aug 07, 2009
manny4life:

Years back when I worked for two major retailers while in school, I have seen managers get fired as a result of something like this. Here is one scenario; In 2008, I once worked for a CVS Pharmacy store between 14th and 19th K street in DC, A SHOP LIFTER walks in to the store as usual to steal. The store manager was on duty that afternoon when the "thief" came in and he started to watch him from the camera, and found him stealing a whole lot of stuff. This was in the Winter period and they wore a good number of jackets to stuff all this items in them. This store manager is about 5 feet 3, and the said SHOP LIFTER is about 6 feet 2, you can see the height difference and the manager goes to stop the SHOP LIFTER, and when he held his jacket, the SHOP LIFTER gives the manager just one blow to the face, guess what, the Manager falls to the floor and passed out. Obviously they called the police and the whole nine yards. But after this happened, the manager spent almost two weeks in the hospital with unpaid salary for that period and he took care of his own emergency and hospital fees. If I was correct, insurance refused to cover his hospital bills because he violated Loss prevention guideline by attempting to apprehend a SHOP LIFTER, not only that after his hospital leave, CVS placed him on administrative leave which is obviously unpaid, well he was lucky that the Regional Manager loved him so much that he gave him a final chance and he had his job back after almost 90 days later. They told him although he had stolen almost $500 worth of items, it still wasn't enough for him to act stupidly. CVS clearly said hurting yourself, well you asked for it, someone else hurt as a result of that is selfish and could have landed CVS in a civil or criminal lawsuit on their part of negligence.

I love this man, real live scenario.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by nex(m): 2:17am On Aug 08, 2009
I'm ashamed of those of you who want this kind of action to be taken against hardworking, brave and dedicated Nigerian workers. In the USA, they have many crazed hero wannabes so I can understand what their problem is. In Nigeria, this should be encouraged.

The teller did the WRONG thing according to company policy, but did he do a BAD thing?

If the unarmed robber was successful with this robbery, how many more do you think he'd carry out?

I'm personally suspicious of the manager of that branch of the bank. I don't doubt that the manager had plotted how an unarmed man will rob them of some change with the intent of falsely claiming millions from the insurance company. That's why they're so mad.

If robbers are meant to be allowed free access to cart away money, I wonder if they'll be any use for security at banks. If the teller is not even trained for security, then they should first sack their security because they didn't do their job. And if they don't have security, then the teller can sue them.

I'm really upset by this news. Even more enraged by those that are suggesting that in Nigeria, the teller should be treated the same. You people are not considering that if a teller in Nigeria gives out money to an unarmed robber, the teller will not be sacked immediately but sent to the police station to confess (you know how) then allowed to resume work and pay back that money in salaries before being sacked. My brother is head of transactions GTB nationwide and I've read memos on cases like this.

"People wey their country good, dem want make e bad. Us wey our country don pafuka pass hell fire, una still wan condone bad thing?

That means most of you are in support of what is happening to Ribadu right now. His case is one of overdo too.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Outstrip(f): 2:30am On Aug 08, 2009
Blah blah blah. It makes no sense even in Nigeria. So the teller in Nigeria should risk their life so that just in case they survive trying to beat down a possibly armed man they will not be tortured into confessing a crime they did not commit? I don't even get the point you are making. As for being suspicious of the manager I don't even know where to start with that. The manager does not make the rules. No company(absolutely none) in the United states will ask an untrained employee to confront a criminal.

My first job out of college was as a manager at a department store. It is just not done. Now I am not saying that my blood did not boil when I saw some of these low lives walk in my store and think they could steal and get aware with it. If you have your shit together you will have their plate number, direction they are going and feeding it to the 911 operator as they speed off. Unless it is an absolutely busy areas where there are a lot of alley ways the police usually have them within minutes.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by nex(m): 2:44am On Aug 08, 2009
I'm sure you have not been interrogated by the NPF on a case involving robbery. You would wish you were shot dead by a robber. There was a guy on TV a couple of days ago, his eyelids alone were bigger than my lips after interrogation.

Are you trying to tell me any regular customer unarmed or any citizen can just walk into a bank and hand the teller a bag to be filled with money and they should obey? The robber did not have a gun. He didn't point a gun, and after the teller politely asked him to show evidence of the availability of an arm, he could not. So as a matter of fact, the man wouldn't be robbing the bank, but collecting transfer payment from the teller.

I don't think I have any further contribution to this thread. I'm sure you didn't see the pictures of female cashiers of First Bank Nigeria that were stripped naked. When I say naked, I mean there was not a stitch on them. The police paraded them stark naked as SUSPECTED collaborators of some petty fraudsters.

You don't know where you're ulioi about.
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by porka: 12:46pm On Aug 08, 2009
nex:

I'm ashamed of those of you who want this kind of action to be taken against hardworking, brave and dedicated Nigerian workers. In the USA, they have many crazed hero wannabes so I can understand what their problem is. In Nigeria, this should be encouraged.

The teller did the WRONG thing according to company policy, but did he do a BAD thing?

If the unarmed robber was successful with this robbery, how many more do you think he'd carry out?

I'm personally suspicious of the manager of that branch of the bank. I don't doubt that the manager had plotted how an unarmed man will rob them of some change with the intent of falsely claiming millions from the insurance company. That's why they're so mad.

If robbers are meant to be allowed free access to cart away money, I wonder if they'll be any use for security at banks. If the teller is not even trained for security, then they should first sack their security because they didn't do their job. And if they don't have security, then the teller can sue them.

I'm really upset by this news. Even more enraged by those that are suggesting that in Nigeria, the teller should be treated the same. You people are not considering that if a teller in Nigeria gives out money to an unarmed robber, the teller will not be sacked immediately but sent to the police station to confess (you know how) then allowed to resume work and pay back that money in salaries before being sacked. My brother is head of transactions GTB nationwide and I've read memos on cases like this.

"People wey their country good, dem want make e bad. Us wey our country don pafuka pass hell fire, una still wan condone bad thing?

That means most of you are in support of what is happening to Ribadu right now. His case is one of overdo too.

Ribadu is not a bank teller. He is a policeman.

Please stop reading your brother's official memos. You are too loose to be entrusted with bank's official documents. GTB is such a professional bank.

Chasing a robber down the street is not a teller's job. Hero or no hero. What happens to the money he was trying to protect? What if the robber's intention was to lure out of his cubicle for some other members to come and finish up while he was chasing him down the street or even a co-worker trying to help himself in this recession?

Nigerian bank robbers are never unarmed. They are armed to the teeth and take their time to take anything to desire, so please let's stop the comparison. You take them on at the cost of your life.

Finally, Nigerian bank officials' bribe newsmen to prevent them from mentioning their establishments. That's why we read "names withheld" or "a new generation bank" or an old generation bank" everytime robbery happens .
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by Kobojunkie: 1:05pm On Aug 08, 2009
switch47:

whether you like it or not the guy na hero------and i can give him a job in my own company for that--------when a person walks into a bank with just sunglases and when asked to display his weapon takes to his heels his facial expression mannarism and disposition is enough to show you he is not armed. well the law provides for CITIZENS POWER TO ARREST!! in USA and even in NIGERIA----- the guy was right when he said the yeye bank just want to set an example so that a mumu teller wont do that in a differentrent situation when it appeared a criminal is not armed. i know most people here agree with the banks decision because no be for nigeria. USA peeps aint always right!! i DISAGREE!! the Tiff pick race run far---the guy no near anywhere close to the bank when he catch am.

you own a company? Wait till your hero sues your business for hospital fees etc. for his acts of bravery. Maybe then your eye go open. grin
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by krispoly(m): 1:45pm On Aug 08, 2009
porka:

Finally, Nigerian bank officials' bribe newsmen to prevent them from mentioning their establishments. That's why we read "names withheld" or "a new generation bank" or an old generation bank" everytime robbery happens .

Honestly. And it's so annoying. I don't know why at this age of IT, Nigerian journalists are still behaving as if they are living in the Stone Age. God will help us,
Re: Bank Teller Loses His Job For Trying To Stop A Robber: by oge4real(f): 10:28pm On Aug 08, 2009
This is a cleare example of "Obedience is better than sacrifice".

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Industrialisation Will Unlock Nigeria’s Wealth - Aganga / These Photos Will Make Your Weekend / Tragedy: Mr Gordon Obua, Former GEJ Chief Security Officer Dies In DSS Custody!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.