Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) (1869 Views)

Nigerians, Prepare For More Hot Days & Warm Nights - NIMET Warns, Lists Way Out / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / My Whole Life Has Been Destroyed By Chronic Social Anxiety Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by donmayorgroup(m): 12:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
It's normal just for anyone to feel anxious or tensed prior the execution of an action or in the midst of some people or to feel nervous in some social situations. For example, going on a date or giving a presentation may cause that feeling of butterflies in your stomach.

Anxiety as a normal phenomenon prepares one for any actions ahead. Just like I mentioned above, when you about to give a speech, presentation, or be involved in any public event, its very normal for you to feel nervous initially, but in social anxiety disorder, everyday interactions cause significant anxiety, fear, self-consciousness and embarrassment because you fear being scrutinized or judged by others or even the fear of failing!

This is a chronic mental health condition which affects the victim both mentally and physically and most times threaten the individual’s ability to relate with others in a social setting comfortably. Psychological procedures such as counseling, medication and learning coping skills can help one gain confidence and improve his/her ability to interact with others and socialize comfortably.

It’s most imperative to note that when an individual experiences feelings of shyness or discomfort in certain social situations, it may not necessarily be signs of social anxiety disorder, particularly in children. Comfort levels in social situations vary, depending on the individual's personality traits and life experiences. Some people are naturally reserved and others are more outgoing. But being reserved does not mean you suffer Socio-phobia!

Apart from the everyday nervousness which I said earlier is normal and a good lift for a better performance, social anxiety disorder includes fear, anxiety and avoidance that interferes with your daily routine, work, school or other social activities and relationships.

Symptoms Of Social Anxiety

Some of the indicators include:

Having anxiety in anticipation of a feared activity or event
Concern that you'll offend someone
Worrying about embarrassing or humiliating yourself
Fear of situations in which you may be judged
Intense fear of interacting or talking with strangers
Fear that others will notice that you look anxious
Fear of physical symptoms that may cause you embarrassment, such as blushing, sweating, trembling or having a shaky voice
Avoiding doing things or speaking to people out of fear of embarrassment
Avoiding situations where you might be the center of attention
Spending time after a social situation analyzing your performance and identifying flaws in your interactions
Expecting the worst possible consequences from a negative experience during a social situation

Physical symptoms

When an individual suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder, some physical symptoms are experienced and they include the following:

Fast heartbeat
Upset stomach or nausea
Trouble catching your breath
Dizziness or light-

headedness
Confusion or feeling "out of body"
Diarrhea
Muscle tension

Situation Avoided By People Suffering From Social Anxiety Disorder

Using a public restroom
Interacting with strangers
Eating in front of others
Making eye contact
Initiating conversations
Dating
Attending parties or social gatherings
Going to work or school
Entering a room in which people are already seated
Returning items to a store

Social anxiety disorder symptoms can change over time. They may flare up if you're facing a lot of stress or demands. Although avoiding anxiety-producing situations may make you feel better in the short term, your anxiety is likely to persist over the long term if you don't get treatment.

Coming Up Next….When to see a doctor on www.michaeldoosblog.info

cc:
Lalasticlacla, Mynd44

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by Controversialad: 12:08pm On Apr 21, 2016
I love this! Thumb up Dear!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by donmayorgroup(m): 3:59pm On Apr 23, 2016
Thanks boss. am encouraged by your commendation.

1 Like

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by kfkay: 2:30pm On Aug 07, 2016
Been suffering from SAD for close to 20yrs now. As a child i wasn't as academically sound as my siblings and a lot of fuss was made about it by my parents and my brothers. I was compared to every soul around my vicinity and this greatly affected my self esteem, till date. But i never really took it seriously and felt i would outgrow it but 10years ago it took a turn for the worst. i found myself in a social gathering and i just went overboard. I started sweating and my legs began to fidget i couldn't maintain any form of conversation due to the fact that i could barely think, i began acting very funny and unusual and since then those symptoms haven't left. It's so bad that sometimes during job interviews my voice becomes very shaky with my hands. The most painful part about it is that it does affects my mental and intellectual performance

2 Likes

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by health2016: 6:58pm On Aug 16, 2016
Ge full information concerning social anxiety and other types of anxiety. Read all the complete symptoms, causes and treatment of anxiety disorder from here http://www.healthzion.com/anxiety-disorder-treatment-causes-symptoms-in-adult-children/
Re: Social Anxiety Disorder: There Is Way Out (1) by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 17, 2016
How're you coping?

kfkay:
Been suffering from SAD for close to 20yrs now. As a child i wasn't as academically sound as my siblings and a lot of fuss was made about it by my parents and my brothers. I was compared to every soul around my vicinity and this greatly affected my self esteem, till date. But i never really took it seriously and felt i would outgrow it but 10years ago it took a turn for the worst. i found myself in a social gathering and i just went overboard. I started sweating and my legs began to fidget i couldn't maintain any form of conversation due to the fact that i could barely think, i began acting very funny and unusual and since then those symptoms haven't left. It's so bad that sometimes during job interviews my voice becomes very shaky with my hands. The most painful part about it is that it does affects my mental and intellectual performance

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

World ’ S Fattest Boy That Can Eat A Bag Of Rice Withing 24hours (photo) / Sex Selection: How To Choose The Baby You Want / Primus Nigeria: Improved Quality Dental Implant Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.