Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST (9323 Views)

Little Mistakes That Kill Students' GPA In University / Medical Students Writing Exams In Bauchi University (Photos) / Fulani Cows Disrupt Students Writing Mid-Term Test In Anambra (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Nnabugwu8590: 11:22pm On Apr 21, 2016

The Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) has regretted that the advent of social media and phone text messages known as Short Messages Service (SMS) have negatively affected the writing skills of students nowadays such that many of them cannot spell English words correctly.

The Postmaster-General, Dr. Richard Balami, said this recently during the closing ceremony of the letter writing competition, organised by NIPOST, in collaboration with Bauchi State Ministry of Education for senior secondary school students in the state.

Represented by the Deputy Postmaster, Mr. YahayaWambai, he explained that the exercise was borne out of the desire to checkmate the ugly trend among students, which leads to their persistent failure in English Language examinations thereby stopping them from securing admissions in tertiary institutions.

“The recent intrusion of mobile phones in our lives at the turn of the century especially on the fragile minds of our youths in the developing countries and given the vulnerability of the young ones to exploit something new, coupled with the inability of some parents to pay attention to some of these things, gave credence to some of the challenges we are now faced with.”

The NIPOST boss, who noted that 4,844 students from 36 secondary schools in the state participated in the competition, added that the agency organises such events every two years in states across the country to inculcate the art of speaking and writing good English Language among youths.

Also speaking, the Commissioner for Education,Nuhu Gidado, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of the state ministry of education, Muhammed Yelwa,commended NIPOST for organising the programme, which he said would enhance students’ communication skills.

He said before the inception of the current administration in the state, the education sector was characterised by ”decayed condition of schools, lack of learning materials and demoralised teachers”.
This he said informed the decision of the government to allocate 20 per cent of its budget to the sector, promising that it will also embark on massive renovation of schools; provision of learning materials; motivation of teachers; as well as high enrollment of children into schools in the shortest possible time.

At the end of the competition, SilverlineTetua from Government Secondary School,Dassemerged overall winner, while Amina Gambo and Musa Habu of the Government Day Secondary School, Kofar, Wambai,Bauchiemerged first and second runners-up respectively.

www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/21/social-media-sms-kill-students-writing-skills-says-nipost/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by chriskosherbal(m): 11:28pm On Apr 21, 2016
I for one, think we are just catching up with development, social media is also a good indices to know a developed/developing country , but it must not be abused.
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by nnachukz(m): 11:34pm On Apr 21, 2016
Their main concern is that SMS has chased them out of market. Forget the pretence, we know where it is hurting you people.

25 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Godstraight(m): 11:43pm On Apr 21, 2016
hahaha,bloody lie,because say their business nor dey flow,don't developed countries use social media?

3 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Nnabugwu8590: 11:43pm On Apr 21, 2016
nnachukz:
Their main concern is that SMS has chased them out of market. Forget the pretence, we know where it is hurting you people.
My dear, I hope you know that NIPOST is a federal government establishment?

5 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Babalegba(m): 11:48pm On Apr 21, 2016
I noticed the trend on nairaland lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Nobody: 3:57am On Apr 22, 2016
I hope these _idiots know plagiarism is a crime? They took a foreign study and copied it word for word claiming it as original because they changed the names to Nigerian ones.

One thing I know is my spelling was always good but my grammar construction and conciseness increased by 25% since coming on nairaland.
The whites say composing twitter updates is a grueling activity to academic scholars and personify versatility in sentence composition. Let these oafs remain ever-backward quoting outdated studies while the world moves forward.
Also, in an era of email and instant messaging, no one uses NIPOST anymore. The mere mention of the name conjures frustration and incompetence - waiting a whole decade to receive a letter is not an experience one easily forgets.

7 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by DaBullIT(m): 4:37am On Apr 22, 2016
While i would say NIPOST is just being melancholic

they did raise a valid point

sms and tweets has destroyed many people's sense of grammar and spelling

But as for me , Internet and technology has helped me improved somehow

because i pay attention to spellings and correct them with chrome , i make sure i master the correct spellings so as not to make the same mistakes over again

That's just me being realistic

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by nnachidav: 4:53am On Apr 22, 2016
Can't see my reply/post/comment on the topic about social media.
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by mikolo80: 5:20am On Apr 22, 2016
nnachukz:
what market?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Pavore9: 5:41am On Apr 22, 2016
My writing skill has not been affected by social media and sms as l easily tilt my mind to write pages as l do to a text message. Foundation do matter a lot as l did acquire a good handwriting skill in primary school from intense lessons in handwriting and in wanting to see how nice my handwriting looks. l developed the love for writing. I always have a pen around me as l write a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Histrings08(m): 5:49am On Apr 22, 2016
This is so pathetic, Buh u can't eradicate social media anymore... At least not in d us century
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by StCapital: 6:44am On Apr 22, 2016
I don't know why some people will just write whatever they like without understanding what the Nipost Boss is driving at. This SMS issue is going out of hand because I have noticed in many application letter's nowadays some Graduates cannot spell some words correctly or fully because they use short codes thinking that they are writing to their girl/boy friends. I think we should blame the people piloting the affairs of our education system, during our days in primary school there is what we call Dictation and letter writing,I don't think Dictation still exist now in schools because if you don't know how to spell words in primary school there is no guarantee that you will know it all in secondary school. My advise here is, parents should help their children by going through their note books and correct them if there are words they did not spell correctly. Thanks.

12 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by otukpo(f): 6:46am On Apr 22, 2016
Yea, correct.
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 22, 2016
For me, my hand writing became improved. I had a very bad handwriting but after my long stay at home with my phone, I could write more clearly
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Sunnycliff(m): 7:58am On Apr 22, 2016
Whats NIPOST please?
who e Don epp now??
When DhL and speed post is alive!
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by mbahfrankuc(m): 7:58am On Apr 22, 2016
Nah Bad market to them shaaaa
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by mrlibertyjur: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2016
hmmm so we should go back to the days of nipost abi....never
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by lonelydora: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2016
But seriously, do we still have NIPOST? Last I heard about them was when I was still searching for job some years back. When they ask us to send CV to a P.O. box or PMB.

Now it's DHL I normally use. Chai, its paining them social media is giving them bad market.

Why would I in this 21st century wait for weeks for my uncle to receive my letter of intent to come for holidays and also wait for weeks again to receive his approval or refusal? Just dial his number and in minutes get his response. NIPOST make una sorry ooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Aviero: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2016
True
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by chikel2000(m): 7:59am On Apr 22, 2016
Pure truth, imagine writing exam n I can't remember how to spell because. 2go caused these nonsense

1 Like

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by tammie24: 7:59am On Apr 22, 2016
Hehehe
Sms Don do this people bad thing
Who uses NIPOST these days
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by winkmart: 8:00am On Apr 22, 2016
It has not killed mine, it has simply improved it
Check www.wenogetjob.com to see my crazee and hilarious write-ups
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by labamo07(m): 8:00am On Apr 22, 2016
It's prevalent worldwide and used extensively in writing informal messages....................
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by rheether(f): 8:00am On Apr 22, 2016
Says who? It's a lie. Stop misleading the best public.
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by folks4luv(f): 8:01am On Apr 22, 2016
I don't think whining about the situation will make anything better, right now, it is impossible to go back to the days when you have to wait for days even weeks for nipost to send your letter before you can communicate. social media has it advantages and also disadvantages, what is left is for us to manage the situation with conscious and sustainable efforts
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Donpressman(m): 8:01am On Apr 22, 2016
sad but very true.
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Tobium1(m): 8:01am On Apr 22, 2016
De man is indirectly exposing himself, does it mean dey read people's letters dat is meant to be personal before despatching it??
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Spanner4(m): 8:02am On Apr 22, 2016
What is NIPOST? Is it a name of a person, animal,place or thing?

1 Like

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by ojosyodion: 8:02am On Apr 22, 2016
no, NIPOST MURDERED my passion for writing because of their unnecessary delays in getting letters to designed destinations angry

1 Like

Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by Carrottop(m): 8:02am On Apr 22, 2016
T
Re: Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST by seyiseni: 8:03am On Apr 22, 2016
NIPOST is finally correct grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University Student Stage Protest Today Against The Vc-elect / 5 Proven Ways To Become Intelligent, Brilliant And A Genius. / Peepping An Unclad Lady Bathing; What Should Be His Punishment???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.