Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,475 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries (815 Views)

How Saraki Bribed CCT Chairman To Dismiss CCT Charges - Sahara Reporters / How Saraki Arranged Recent Meeting With Buhari Over Health Status’ / How Saraki And Friends Will Plunge Nigeria Into Its Next Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by ridwanomooba: 1:51pm On Apr 23, 2016
http://leadership.ng/features/520864/sarakis-education-fund-changed-lives-beneficiaries

In this piece, Abdullahi Olesin presents the testimonies of some persons who benefitted from the education fund set up by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki in his home state, Kwara.

When Oguntominiyi Esther (21) and Oguntominiyi Yemi (23) lost their father in 2004 and mother in 2008, their hope of having university education seemed dashed. Being from a poor home, they knew it was next to impossible for them to afford university education, and in this age when higher education appears to be everything, their future looked bleak.

But when all hope seemed lost, when the siblings had almost given up all dreams of entering the four walls of a university, succor came for them in 2013. Prior to that time, the Senate President; Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki had pledged to use his pension as a former governor of Kwara State as educational endowment for the benefit of indigent students of Kwara origin.

Esther and Yemi from Share in Ifelodun local government area of the state were among the first set of indigent students to benefit from the Abubakar Bukola Saraki Student’s Foundation (ABSSF) scheme.

Today, Esther is a 300 level English/ Education student at the University of Ilorin while her brother, Yemi is a 400 level Civil Engineering student in the same university.

Since the commencement of the ABSSF scheme in 2013, over 400 indigent students had been awarded bursary and scholarship. The scheme had also obtained JAMB forms for about 5000 students.

At the official launching of the programme in 2014, Saraki had announced that 100 students would benefit from it annually.

A very elated Esther told her story: “It was in the year 2013 I was given a JAMB form free of charge by the Saraki Foundation. It paved the way for me to gain admission into the University of Ilorin. That year, there were four of us from my family seeking admission into the university. It was a great relief when JAMB forms were given to two of us in my family by the Saraki Foundation. Before this gesture, we could not get assistance from anyone.

“They did not only give us the forms they also organized tutorials for us for six weeks and fed us throughout the period. I sat for the examination, scored 206 points and gained admission into the University of Ilorin that same year. Upon a special request, Saraki also paid our tuition fees in 2013.”

She explained that there was no way she would have attended a university without the support of the ABSSF. Although Esther is fulfilling her dream, she is aware that there are many indigent students who also require support. “I want to plead with the senate president to continue with the scholarship programme and if possible expand it so that other indigent students like us can have access to quality education,” she said.

Although two members of her family have benefited from the Saraki Foundation, one of her siblings could not go further because of lack of funds. “We are a family of three children-two male and one female. Our sibling just completed his National Diploma programme. He could not go to the university because of financial constraint. That’s why I plead with Senate President to graciously consider expanding the scope of the foundation,” said.

Like his sister, Yemi is full of praise for the Saraki Foundation. His story: “I completed my secondary education in 2009 while my sister completed hers’ in 2011.Between 2011 and 2013 my sister had to go and learn a trade -fashion design-because there was no money to sponsor her higher education. Until the Foundation intervened and changed our story. So, we thank Saraki for his assistance which has made our dream of having university education a reality”.

Umar Aliyu Ayinla (43) is another beneficiary of the Abubakar Bukola Saraki students Foundation. A 400 level student of Political Science from the University of Ilorin, Ayinla’s JAMB form was paid for by the foundation.

“It was a dream come true,” he recalled. “I had earlier obtained HND (Accounting) in 1998 at the Kwara state Polytechnic, Ilorin but because of the dichotomy in HND and Degree certificates I decided to further my education. I saw it as a challenge to have a degree, so when the issue of ABSSF free JAMB programme was launched in 2013 I had the opportunity of not only having the free form but also benefited from the coaching classes which aided my performance during the examination.

“Though I am a teacher at junior secondary school level, I could not afford the form because of the prevailing economic situation and family commitments. I am from Ori-oko in Ilorin west LGA and married with four children. I want to thank Saraki for his kind gesture but like Oliver Twist I want to plead with him to pay the tuition fees of those that got admission into the university through the scheme as he has done for some Law School students”.
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by rusher14: 1:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
Anini was said to be quite generous.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
Saraki seems to just be waking up. Now he's matching EFCC propaganda for propaganda.
This is my grouse with efcc you don't get conviction on the pages of newspapers. Now am sure PMB will regret this Saraki issue.

3 Likes

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by teadrake(m): 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
rusher14:
And yet he ate our yam too

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by TANTUMERGO007(m): 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
cheesy may the almighty GOD reward you for all these good things you doing for the youths in Kwara state and nigeria as a whole. At the end, your good deeds would vindicate you smiley
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by rusher14: 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
What does helping indigent students have to do with swearing deceitful affidavits over and over again?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
Modath I saw you here but you ran away since its not a Saraki bashing thread
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
I still dont understand the meaning of this post after reading it again and again

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by TANTUMERGO007(m): 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2016
angels09:
Modath I saw you here but you ran away since its not a Saraki bashing thread
Even modaft is tired of these saraki issues
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by amtaken(f): 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
Dear Saraki, if you want to conquer Tinubu you go beg GEJ to forgive you.

All GEJ's betrayers are suffering. Look at Dasuki.
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by modath(f): 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2016
angels09:
Mo I saw you here but you ran away since its not a Saraki bashing thread

You play too much , ran away from an obvious white washing PR Job? Saraki is a greedy & self serving, doesn't mean he isn't some people's benefactor.. smiley

However, even the Ray Charles can see clearly from his grave can see through the article....... Same as the DOA sentiments of the opposition to a muslim -muslim ticket & the allusion to the anti corruption stance blowing the lid off Hero IB's supervision of the subsidy scam grants him....

To each his own, but not every one is overly emotional & foolish!!! , support for Saraki as a tool to get back at the nation/FG is a subhuman trait... opposition is a conviction not tradition..cool

3 Likes

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
modath:

You play too much , ran away from an obvious white washing PR Job? Saraki is a greedy & self serving, doesn't mean he isn't some people's benefactor.. smiley

However, even the Ray Charles can see clearly from his grave can see through the article....... Same as the DOA sentiments of the opposition to a muslim -muslim ticket & the allusion to the anti corruption stance blowing the lid off Hero IB's supervision of the subsidy scam grants him....

To each his own, but not every one is overly emotional & foolish!!! , support for Saraki as a tool to get back at the nation/FG is a subhuman trait... opposition is a conviction not tradition..cool

Maa Bu mi o. Baba oko ee nimoje
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by modath(f): 3:30pm On Apr 23, 2016
angels09:

Maa Bu mi o. Baba oko ee nimoje

Won ko mi, mo de gba Eko!! Mi o ki so odi oro si enikankan, I only state facts... dazall.

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by patimore: 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
Make una dey lie to yourselves. Saraki is a big time thief and his already grooming his son(Seni) to take over from him the plundering of Kwara State.

I pity Kwarans!

3 Likes

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by babdap: 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
There was virtually nothing at Omu - Aran General Hospital twice that I visited as a corp member. We have to purchase all the prescribed drugs and even gloves. I was made to understand that late Gov Lawal was the best Governor Kwara had since 1999. #nopeaceforthief.

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 2:01am On Apr 24, 2016
modath:

Won ko mi, mo de gba Eko!! Mi o ki so odi oro si enikankan, I only state facts... dazall.
Loobami tooju omo mi kekere. Fi oselu ati ojelu nle
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by modath(f): 6:01am On Apr 24, 2016
angels09:

Loobami tooju omo mi kekere. Fi oselu ati ojelu nle

Boda Falana, Esee, Eku idasi.. omo kekere wa lalaafia, ikan o di ikan lowo, everything under control & good....

Saraki Ole, thinking small saka will change the facts of his many heist, Oluwa o ki se eke.

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by blackpanda: 6:03am On Apr 24, 2016
Yea thanks saraki

But u MUST still face your trial! grin
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by EmeritusMbaM: 7:18am On Apr 24, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:
cheesy may the almighty GOD reward you for all these good things you doing for the youths in Kwara state and nigeria as a whole. At the end, your good deeds would vindicate you smiley

This famous troll is now a comedian.

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 24, 2016
modath:

Boda Falana, Esee, Eku idasi.. omo kekere wa lalaafia, ikan o di ikan lowo, everything under control & good....

Saraki Ole, thinking small saka will change the facts of his many heist, Oluwa o ki se eke.
Hmmm kingbotemi abi? Ok eebu legba agba o. Inumidun pe owaa ok...sugbon control ko lo need ... Nurturing ati Ife.. Emaa fun omoodo laayekaye o. Lekansi odigba Emi tiepe Ni Falana apapandodo
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by Progressive01(m): 8:25am On Apr 24, 2016
rusher14:
You just bombed the thread bro. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by rusher14: 8:40am On Apr 24, 2016
Progressive01:
You just bombed the thread bro. cheesy

Spanner in their works.
grin
Re: How Saraki’s Education Fund Changed Our Lives – Beneficiaries by modath(f): 1:53pm On Apr 24, 2016
angels09:

Hmmm kingbotemi abi? Ok eebu legba agba o. Inumidun pe owaa ok...sugbon control ko lo need ... Nurturing ati Ife.. Emaa fun omoodo laayekaye o. Lekansi odigba Emi tiepe Ni Falana apapandodo

Let's have a pact, E try lati ma pe mi si awuyewuye ti mi o ni interest ninu e & we are cool.... Omoluwabi ti won lo nimi sugbon ti eeyan ba n se ABOSI, mi o ki n enywrtain e , but ti e bani objective criticism to mu ori pipe wa, irrespective of political alignment, ko le si ija, a ma kan fi oro jomitoro oro ni...

Awon ti won gbe pelu mi ki n se omo odo, a jo n ran ara wa lowo, nurturing ati ife ki n se problem rara, so don't worry.... Oluwa a ma ko wa mo see... Amin...

(1) (Reply)

Corrupt Elements, Incompetent Aides, Saboteurs Join Forces To Hinder Buhari / Herdsmen: We’ll Be Forced To Resort To Self-help, Group Warns / PHOTOS: Miss Bukola Ogundolie -olowokeere Is Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.