Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,594 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? (11701 Views)

Do I Look Nigerian? / Which Tribe Or African Country Do I Look Like I Belong To? / What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by ATERI(m): 4:43pm On Apr 28, 2016
tooco:
share a link here that proves ur fact.any?

I may have read about that when you were a kid.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 28, 2016
ATERI:

What you and I think do not matter; facts are facts!
share a link here that proves ur fact.Any?
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 28, 2016
ATERI:

I may have read about that when you were a kid.
??,anyway i wish the op gudluck in finding her roots

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by ATERI(m): 4:56pm On Apr 28, 2016
tooco:
??,anyway i wish the op gudluck in finding her roots

We can both agree on that.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by Nobody: 3:50am On Apr 29, 2016
OP you could pass for a Niger Delta woman, especially a Benin or Ijaw woman...
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by Yujin(m): 11:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
aim5:
OP you could pass for a Niger Delta woman, especially a Benin or Ijaw woman...
You are right if we are to be too simplistic. I'll even add Urhobo to it. To me she looks very much Urhobo but I know the African American story. They've been mixed over a very long period of time and as such its difficult pinpointing a particular ethnic group. Surprisingly, some people are able to retain some looks and even structure peculiar to certain ethnic groups. This mostly favours the big tribes. In the case of OP, I'll say she doesn't really have the well identified Igbo nor Yoruba look. She could be any of them but does not possess that peculiar look that easily gives one away. To me she's tilted to the Niger Delta groups that I supported earlier. Binis didn't participate in slave trade and the ijaws were more of slave merchants. Urhobos on the other hand suffered under the trade but with little information to support it.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by KB1(m): 6:18am On May 01, 2016
m0rena35:

This is true but does that make me more or less African? Lol I wonder because the average African American has 70-99% west African DNA and the average African American has at least 1 white ancestor, but you can look at my dads people and tell there is not white in his lineage at all, they are very tall slim and dark skinned, my moms side is short, light skinned and have some members that look white or half but I carry more of my fathers DNA I am dark skinned, high cheekbones, strong, sure we are mixed but I will say I'm African until the day I die. Like where is Africa America, theres no such place cheesy

Your claim or belief of that your dad's side of the family lacks any European mixture is most likely false. The fact of that they are dark skinned and may appear to lack any European features, means absolutely nothing when it comes to the topic of Genetics.

Don Cheadle, Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover all appear to have a look in which may give some the idea of that they may lack any European mixture, but they all do have European mixture, and as much or nearly as much so as your average one-of-the-mill African-American does. It is impossible to tell if someone is genetically purely of one single racial makeup via appearance alone.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by KB1(m): 6:24am On May 01, 2016
Yujin:

You are right if we are to be too simplistic. I'll even add Urhobo to it. To me she looks very much Urhobo but I know the African American story. They've been mixed over a very long period of time and as such its difficult pinpointing a particular ethnic group. Surprisingly, some people are able to retain some looks and even structure peculiar to certain ethnic groups. This mostly favours the big tribes. In the case of OP, I'll say she doesn't really have the well identified Igbo nor Yoruba look. She could be any of them but does not possess that peculiar look that easily gives one away. To me she's tilted to the Niger Delta groups that I supported earlier. Binis didn't participate in slave trade and the ijaws were more of slave merchants. Urhobos on the other hand suffered under the trade but with little information to support it.

Based on historical records, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that she has any mixture at all from that ethnic group. It's nearly an impossibility. On the other hand, it is highly likely that she is of some significant Igbo descent.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by osystein(m): 12:39am On May 02, 2016
Lets hope that Ghanaian-SA guy Kwame doesn't see this thread, lol.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by moski5(m): 12:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
m0rena35:

Thank you, if I could have married a Nigerian man I would have, African men in general love me, I meet them a the time, so handsome and dark smooth skin my goodness, but it was too late for me unfortunately lol sad

interesting

Also a laudable quest any good news?
nb one of your picx looks like an acquaintance of mine n she's Igbo not sure of which part though
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by bukster(f): 8:02am On Jun 22, 2016
You don't look very Nigerian or the typical west African. Try south central African like Angola or maybe far west Africa like Senegal.
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by chukzyblingz(m): 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2016
m0rena35:

My mother is still alive, my father passed about 11 years ago, but they were both born here in the southern united states, I have been able to trace back quite a bit on my mothers side, but my dads family I am not able to find a lot of information, but I am working on it. wink
Are you from the Carolinas?
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by nlPoster: 12:32am On Feb 08, 2020
m0rena35:
My best friend is from Lagos, she says I look Ibo (Igbo) so I will go with that until I know for sure lol my husband and I are both descendants of slaves, he Afro-Mexican and I am from the USA, I want us to take pictures like this one. I love the clothes and will be getting some. I also love Nigerian food and music. You guys rock! kiss wink

That picture is of a Nigerian man who deceived his wife though:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/reallife/902802/my-husband-went-back-to-nigeria-last-christmas-to-wed-a-secret-new-wife/
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by nlPoster: 12:35am On Feb 08, 2020
m0rena35:

This is true but does that make me more or less African? Lol I wonder because the average African American has 70-99% west African DNA and the average African American has at least 1 white ancestor, but you can look at my dads people and tell there is not white in his lineage at all, they are very tall slim and dark skinned, my moms side is short, light skinned and have some members that look white or half but I carry more of my fathers DNA I am dark skinned, high cheekbones, strong, sure we are mixed but I will say I'm African until the day I die. Like where is Africa America, theres no such place cheesy

You actually do seem rather mixed, I think it's something about your facial structure.

I'm not sure where your non-African ancestry would indicate, possibly neither Europe nor Africa?
Re: Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? by nlPoster: 12:35am On Feb 08, 2020
Yujin:

You could be somewhat right.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Rare Is It To Be A Light Skinned Yoruba Girl? / Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! / Igbo Girls .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.