Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English (14169 Views)

Beware Your Phone May Be Spying On You / 9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Anayordike(m): 9:29am On Apr 27, 2016
BEWARE! YOUR SMART PHONE MAY BE TEACHING YOU BAD ENGLISH
You need to watch it because your child’s smart phone may be teaching him/her bad English and even you as an adult.
Have you noticed the problem of English spelling with some recently released Android smart phones? It is unfortunate that at a time parents are complaining and lamenting that abbreviation words in the social media (text messages, facebook, whatsapp, twitter etc) has made mess of the ability of our youth to read and write good English.

And now most smart phones key boards are not helping matters rather they are compounding the problem of writing good and correct spelling of some English words. I don’t know why the manufacturers of these phones decided to omit some compound words from the English vocabulary? I as one, am finding it unbearable to tolerate this.

EXAMPLES : The following words are missing seriously from these smart phones/keyboards
1. Behind as” bind”
2. Vehicles = as “vicle “
3. Kehinde as “kinde”
4. Behold as “bold”
5. Apprehend as “append”
6. Household as ”housold”
7. Behave as “bave”
8. Behavior s “baviour”
9. Beheaded as “beaded”
10. Behalf as “balf”
11. Apprehensive as “apprensive” etc, etc (You can add yours as well)

Check out these wrong spelling of words in all the social media write ups and broadcasts and you will be amazed.

The question should be, are these new ways of spelling English words? What went wrong and who is to be blamed for all these: the Phone manufacturers of the keyboard owners? What is the solution to this problem or don’t we see it as a big problem?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Xhaka(m): 11:22am On Apr 27, 2016
Can't buy a phone with my hard earned money and auto-correct will be dragging keyboard with me.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by lekjons(m): 1:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
All these novices self.. lipsrsealed angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Reeberry: 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
Just unable auto correction ln your keyboard.

2 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Anayordike(m): 6:59am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:

It's not autocorrect because I didn't enable it. Perhaps, it's relative to Android 5. 0 Lollipop

1 Like

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Anayordike(m): 7:01am On Apr 28, 2016
lekjons:
All these novices self.. lipsrsealed angry
Mr ITK you ended up wasting your words without any meaningful contribution

6 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Youngzedd(m): 7:11am On Apr 28, 2016
That must be Tecno phones

Don't crucify me @Tecno fan boys.

5 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by TrollTrap: 7:11am On Apr 28, 2016
Kehinde behold vehicles undecided

oP which phone you dey use Abeg

14 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by psyqs(m): 7:11am On Apr 28, 2016
Lol
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by adesegun121(m): 7:13am On Apr 28, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by twinskenny(m): 7:13am On Apr 28, 2016
Why is my name there

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by khalhokage(m): 7:13am On Apr 28, 2016
Let's see screenshots of these errors.
I've never had auto correct give me wrong spellings before.
Maybe your keyboard is set to the wrong language.

16 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:14am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:

Yepa..

Ati ko ifa nle, ifa ti inje.

8 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Segadem(m): 7:17am On Apr 28, 2016
[size=14pt]Op change the topic from bad English to bad spelling

[/size]

14 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by jazinogold(m): 7:18am On Apr 28, 2016
hmm
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 28, 2016
Definitely not all smart phones
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by mrtidy(m): 7:19am On Apr 28, 2016
I don't think these errors are from the manufacturers I have always used smart keyboard even from my days of Nokia touch light and didn't have any of these. Worst case is that the suggestions won't what I want and I would be forced to type all of the letters myself .... I currently use an Android 4.2.2.
maybe like u said its Lollipop ish

2 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:21am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:

Jesu...

Just gini?

3 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:23am On Apr 28, 2016
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by ShakurM(m): 7:23am On Apr 28, 2016
If your smartphone is teaching you the wrong English especially with words like this, you no sabi spelling in the first place joor
angry

12 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by speciallymade(m): 7:23am On Apr 28, 2016
Since I've been using my phone my auto correct is always there and my keyboard also guesses my next word for me, for example if I type how, my keyboard will show 'are' and some other words that can come after how.... So I don't really have problem with mine sha

2 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by iceberryose(m): 7:24am On Apr 28, 2016
Am not saying this post is a lie

Just saying
IT ISN'T TRUE.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 28, 2016
Android Teaching someone bad English...
Is there anything like ''Bad English''

3 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by DBossNG(m): 7:25am On Apr 28, 2016
That's true!
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by mrtidy(m): 7:26am On Apr 28, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

Jesu...

Just gini?

Maybe its because OP "UnAble" correct spellings grin grin grin
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:27am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:
Ibon ree shocked shocked

7 Likes

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by donholy28(m): 7:29am On Apr 28, 2016
I use smart phones but its difficult for me to type in abbrevations
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:30am On Apr 28, 2016
@ OP

Before you generalize, you might do well to get a "second opinion", from other phones.

Also, I strongly believe the "follow come" dictionaries are not from the manufacturers, but from Google & Apple. If not, the kain Chinese English we for dey see na die.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Segadem(m): 7:30am On Apr 28, 2016
donholy28:
I use smart phones but its difficult for me to type in abbrevations
[size=14pt] That's discipline [/size]
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by SmithHumble50: 7:30am On Apr 28, 2016
Ok
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by larmu(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:
No be only unable,na offable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Did You Feel When Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram Went Off ? / How To Get Customer Care Answer Your Call Quickly ( All Network) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.