Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,401 members, 7,853,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:31 AM

Dealing With The Menace Called Herdsmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dealing With The Menace Called Herdsmen (276 Views)

Dogara On Anti-graft War: We Are Dealing With Leaves And Fruits But Not Root / The Menace Of Crop-Destroying Cattle, And The PEACEFUL Way Forward / Menace Of Fulani Herdsmen May Result In Civil War If Not Checked-huriwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dealing With The Menace Called Herdsmen by donogaga(m): 9:54pm On Apr 27, 2016
Here we go again. Ethnic cleansing? How? Who is cleansing who?

When Boko Haram killed many people in North under a South-South President, it is not ethnic cleansing. To you, they are brothers killing themselves and they deserved no sympathy. It’s is Muslims fighting and killing fellow Muslims. It is Northerners killing their people and destroying their lands.

When herdsmen moved to Jos and dealt with Berom people under a South-South President, it was not ethnic cleansing. To you, it’s none of your business. The Beroms were only being rewarded for accommodating these "deadly cows" in the first place.

When the herdsmen moved downward razed down Agatu, destroyed farmlands and killed scores of people. To you, it’s not ethnic cleansing. The Agutus and the Fulanis are brothers. So it was fight between brothers who worked together to fight you during the Biafra war.

When herdsmen move further South West and destroyed farmlands in Ondo and Osun, killed few people in the process; when Hausas clashed with Yorubas in Mile 12 and a lot of lives were lost and properties where destroyed, it wasn't ethnic cleansing. To you, the Yorubas were just reaping the reward of supporting and voting for a Fulaniman to emerge as President.

To these groups, they don't deserve your pity or sympathy. They are your enemies; they colluded with the Hausa/Fulani people to truncate your Biafra dream.

But when the same herdsmen invaded Enugu, killed people and razed down a village, suddenly it's ethnic cleansing. They are only acting to a grand plan script of Uthman Dan Fodio to conquer and occupy all lands under the Buhari regime. Haba!

When will you stop flying ethnic and/or religious kites? It hasn't and will never move us forward as a nation. Tell me which group or region has not tasted the terror attacks of these blood-sucking killer herdsmen? They attacked Plateau, attacked Taraba, attacked Adamawa, attacked Benue, and attacked Ondo. Why would the attack on Enugu now be termed ethnic cleansing?

Instead, why not let us see these "killer" herdsmen as a common enemy of Nigeria in total sum rather than an enemy who are out to wipe out a particular ethnic group? The herdsmen are enemies to you and I, to our people, to our men and women, to our young and old, to and region and religion and to our existence as a nation.

It is cowardice to think that these killer herdsmen are in for ethnic cleansing. It is also cowardice for a serving governor to weep in the open in face of terror on his people and say, “Lets Fast and Pray for two days.” Pray and fast for two days what? When will we as a people learn to differentiate spiritual things from things that need “commonsense’?

In the book, “Things Fall Apart“, Okonkwo said, “Let us not reason like cowards. If a man comes into my hut and defecates on the floor, what do I do? Do I shut my eyes? No! I take a stick and break his head. That is what a man does.”

Enugu state governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, acted like a man who shut his eyes when another man came into his hut and defecated on the floor and resorted to fasting and prayers. What then does he do with all the security votes he collects every month?

The dangerous activities of the herdsmen can be likened to terrorist attack on our people and lands and as such they must be treated that way in our utterances and in our deeds. Our leaders still have a lot to learn in the art of leadership in the face of adversity.

Every time, the US government teaches the world how to lead and motivate the people in the face of adversity but sadly, Nigerians leader just never learn. The following is a classical case of how our leaders ought to be behaving in the midst of adversity:

When ISIS militants beheaded Steven Sotloff, an American journalist, Vice President Joe Biden did not weep in the open or ask Americans to pray and fast for two days or seek for peace with America attackers. Instead he sent probably the strongest warning in history to ISIS. he said,

“American people are so much stronger, so much more resolved than any enemy can fully understand. As a nation, we’re united. And when people harm Americans, we don’t retreat. We don’t forget. We take care of those who are grieving. And when that’s finished, they should know we will follow them to the gates of Hell until they are brought to justice. Because Hell is where they will reside. Hell is where they will reside.”

The above words are true words of a leader not the weakly cry call of fasting and prayers call of Enugu state governor.

Enugu State governor is a typical Nigerian leader – too weak and too timid, clueless and bereft of ideas. The only thing they are good at is the art of stealing public funds and fanning the amber of religion and ethnic sentiments.

The only living Nigerian leader whose words has come close to Biden's in the face of adversity is President Buhari's warning to pipeline vandals.

The threat of Herdsmen should not be treated with a kid's gloves. This is where I agree with an entry in Solomon Etim grandfather's diary dated 23/06/1923 on how to tackle the menace of herdsmen and I quote, "when you are violently attacked by whosoever your attacker is; the appropriate response should not be to preach peace to him/her. Descend on him/her coordinated violence more devastating to him/her that your attacker would plead for you to come to a round table conference to sign a peace accord."

Finally, the above words of Vice President Biden underscore the importance of “Unity” in the face of adversity. The threat of the killer herdsmen is not to the particular ethnic group; it is not to wipe out a particular region or tribe. Rather it is a threat to our existence as a nation. And all must come together, united, to put an end to this new terror group, called herdsmen.

God bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Comments : Impacts And Contribution Of Islam To World Civilization. / Goodness! 806,646 Nigerians Applied For The Police Force In Less Than A Month! / French President To Visit Nigeria On Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.