Stats: 3,166,720 members, 7,865,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:06 AM

Gender Equality Way To Go? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gender Equality Way To Go? (832 Views)

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

Gender Equality Way To Go? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 28, 2016
As I was conversing with my best friend about the news on tiwa savage and her marital issues, he then made a statement saying.

"And ladies wuld b clamourin 4 equal ryts wen dey dnt respect demselvs"

I do not support infidelity, be it from the husband or wife. Morally I think it's wrong but I am of the opinion that women should have liberty in sex same as men do, we should be equal and there should be no reason why a cheating wife should be less respected than a cheating husband.

But he went further to say in a society like ours As it stands today, our society is largely sexist, and ruled by men who are not only old but are traditional in the way they think. That in order to change men perspective (who are the ones holding political positions) and allow gender equality;

women should start by making the men have some respect for them. He made a reference that, if the senators go to the hotel and have sex with 3 girls at the same time, the senator will still feel above her and find it difficult to see that women and men are the same.

He used an example of Obama bringing gay marriage to Africa. Mugabe tolding him to let them have sex if he is serious abt men fucking men.

As our society is, men see women as slut and women need to set some standard for themselves in other to be taken seriously.

I Will like to hear very good opinion, from very enlightened people.

I will be back with my opinion.

Cc tumpatis, konvict0111, optimus007, khalhokage, doveda, freecocoa, cococandy, Logicbwoy

Pardon my typos please

Re: Gender Equality Way To Go? by Nobody: 3:19am On May 06, 2016
As I always say, all opinions are valid. How one judges affairs is a function of the side of the divide one belongs.

Putting these matters to context is usually difficult because of the varieties of opinions that could exist at once and as well as the complexities of the social phenomena. This task is even more arduous when the matter before us is, by its nature, sensitive and carries with it the potential to insult sensibilities.

Granted there may be aspects of culture with some subtle bias against women, which I do not automatically subscribe to, but we can miss the point if we fail to appreciate the inextricable links in some of these cultural practices.

Consider, for instance, the issue of bride price. If a man pays something to stake a claim on a woman, shouldn't he be able to exercise the rights of ownership and prevents others from enjoying the benefits that accrues to this right? This is what informs our biasness until at least the obligation to pay is overhauled or made a mutual responsibility of the parties thereto.

Most times when we speak of culture I tend to think we sub-optimize by analyzing the whole in terms of the part rather than the part in terms of the whole. Together with this, I also see an unfortunate tendencies to import values from abroad and to make it a model for evaluating our own lives and transactions.

How about the question of choice and what ought to be an ideal life's pursuit. Today, we see everywhere on social media pictures of ladies flaunting cleavages, curves, butts and so on. We can try to pretend that this means nothing but the regularity of this display and the approval that it gets from the female folks themselves seems to suggest a measure of worth which is self imposed. There should be no debate about that.

You can't sell us a biro and ask us to take a pencil in the end. Ladies who spend their lives pursuing virtue will have their respect for all time to come. If, on the other hand, you give yourselves away to narcissism, having more appreciation for facial looks, the size of your butts and what you carry there on your chest then you must be prepared to take what comes with it.
Re: Gender Equality Way To Go? by kazyhm(m): 4:52pm On May 06, 2016
yeah! I support gender equality but my confusion is what it will turn our society to
in what area should we be equal ?

like in Olympic, women should be paired with men
or in boxing women should fight men in all categories.
or they want to be splitting the bills rather than enjoying the services
abi only to be in control of affairs, I want fish, I want egg, I don't want sex only romance.

what I see is divergence in women's opinion about the agitation
some knows the truth and kept quiet about it
some are confuse and talk only when they are high
some want it because they have advantage(s) over men in their area of dealings

I appreciate women's complicated desire
Re: Gender Equality Way To Go? by Nobody: 1:32am On May 11, 2016
kazyhm:
yeah! I support gender equality but my confusion is what it will turn our society to
in what area should we be equal ?

like in Olympic, women should be paired with men
or in boxing women should fight men in all categories.
or they want to be splitting the bills rather than enjoying the services
abi only to be in control of affairs, I want fish, I want egg, I don't want sex only romance.

what I see is divergence in women's opinion about the agitation
some knows the truth and kept quiet about it
some are confuse and talk only when they are high
some want it because they have advantage(s) over men in their area of dealings

I appreciate women's complicated desire

What a way to put the point! I just couldn't agree more.

Many thanks for your thoughts, bro.

To help with some visual impression, just in case someone might not be able to get his head around your point of view, please see the caption below:

Re: Gender Equality Way To Go? by kazyhm(m): 7:39pm On May 11, 2016
konvict0111:
What a way to put the point! I just couldn't agree more.

Many thanks for your thoughts, bro.

To help with some visual impression, just in case someone might not be able to get his head around your point of view, please see the caption below:

it not anybody's fault if any woman marries a goat. they should just stop stereotyping for the coming ones.
we need a sane society, I will never ever marry a woman I will beat.
my exs can relate to this

the reality is even MEN are not equal

Why Do Meats Get Finshed Early In Owambe Parties? / African Woman Place Isn't In The Kitchen Anymore / Is The Ile Ife Heads Connected Ancient Egypt?