Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,419 members, 7,850,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:46 PM

ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot (1041 Views)

Fresh N10bn NHIS Scam: Buhari Presidency Stinks, Has No Honour Left- PDP / Nigeria Stinks, I Didn’t Believe It Can Be This Bad —bode George / Buhari Under Pressure To Sack Ministers, Aides - Nigerian Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by willywasco(m): 12:11am On Apr 29, 2016
Dirt, criminality everywhere
Outbreak of epidemic feared
Minister’s silence worries residents

Abuja, the nascent capital of Nigeria, reputed to be the fastest growing city in Africa is gradually losing its candour and prestige. The city is becoming opposite of what the founding fathers had in mind- a beautiful, serene, safe, well-organized and comfortable capital city offering residents and visitors peace of mind and good ambience for business, leisure and relaxation.

Regrettably, reports from our correspondents who went round the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, show that presently, Abuja may not be the safest place following incessant criminal activities that are on the rise, and the dirtiest nature of the streets within and around the seat of federal government.

Source: http://nigerianpilot.com/abuja-stinks/

1 Like

Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by ZZ22: 12:28am On Apr 29, 2016
Body odour everywhere
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by DaBullIT(m): 2:00am On Apr 29, 2016
lol
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by Daniyomex(m): 2:11am On Apr 29, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]what do u expect when all what those in government are after is how to steal our money and stash them away in Swiss bank or invest them in tax haven. Stupid fools all over
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by SamuelAnyawu(m): 4:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Nothing New, we have a government which keeps on blaming it's predecessors instead of concentrating on governance. undecided undecided undecided

Good Morning Nairalanders, Have you blamed GEJ Today?

1 Like

Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by chriskosherbal(m): 4:49am On Apr 29, 2016
The government should look into this.
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by EzePromoe: 5:26am On Apr 29, 2016
Not only Abuja, everything about the country stinks.
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by SleekAboki: 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
Odours from Buhari body language permeates every aspect of Nigeria.
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by matrix199(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
willywasco:
Dirt, criminality everywhere
Outbreak of epidemic feared
Minister’s silence worries residents

Abuja, the nascent capital of Nigeria, reputed to be the fastest growing city in Africa is gradually losing its candour and prestige. The city is becoming opposite of what the founding fathers had in mind- a beautiful, serene, safe, well-organized and comfortable capital city offering residents and visitors peace of mind and good ambience for business, leisure and relaxation.

Regrettably, reports from our correspondents who went round the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, show that presently, Abuja may not be the safest place following incessant criminal activities that are on the rise, and the dirtiest nature of the streets within and around the seat of federal government.

Source: http://nigerianpilot.com/abuja-stinks/

Did you say Abuja stinks? You stay in Mararaba-Nyanya you're calling it Abuja? Does Asokoro stink? Maitama? Wuse? Wuse II? Central Area? Gwarinpa estate? Garki?

Don't infer Abuja stinks if you don't stay in town.

2 Likes

Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by Nbote(m): 6:52am On Apr 29, 2016
matrix199:

Did you say Abuja stinks? You stay in Mararaba-Nyanya you're calling it Abuja? Does Asokoro stink? Maitamia? Wuse? Wuse II? Central Area? Gwarinpa estate? Garki?

Don't infer Abuja stinks if you don't stay in those areas.

It's funny how someone sits somewhere and jus compose rubbish. I bet d writer of dat rubbish is going to com out denying his article.. Even most of those satellite towns are not as dirty and crude as d writer is trying to paint it.
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by otukpo(f): 6:54am On Apr 29, 2016
The self aclaimed progressives have polluted Abuja
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by AfroBlue(m): 7:02am On Apr 29, 2016
glad someone made a thread on Abuja

The Opinion Pages | Op-Ed Contributor
Will Nigeria’s New Capital Be Old Soon?

By TOLU OGUNLESI APRIL 27, 2016

ABUJA, Nigeria — A few weeks ago I sat in a taxi in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital. “I think I’ve driven you before,” the driver said. How long ago, I asked. Two years, he confidently replied. And then a claim that stunned me: “I’ve still got your number saved.”

Indeed he did. My name was saved as “TOLU TRANSCORP” — Transcorp being the city’s sole Hilton hotel, the center of Abuja’s social life, and the place where, two years ago, this driver took me. I had no such recollection, but his evidence sufficed.

For me, that story perfectly illustrates Abuja’s sedate, small-town charm; such a random reunion would have been much less likely in frenzied Lagos, home to 18 million, more than three times the population of Abuja.

After living in Lagos for 10 years, the last three as a full-time journalist, I’ve now moved to Abuja to work. Spending weekdays in Abuja and weekends in Lagos allows me to compare the two: Lagos, first settled in the 15th century, has long been a bustling port city, while Abuja is much younger and relatively unstoried.

Lagos has been a city long enough to be “cultured,” with an unending array of book readings, open-mike events, theater festivals, concerts and entertainment award ceremonies. In February alone it hosted a marathon and two weeklong festivals, one for social media and the other for theater. This week, the Lagos International Jazz Festival takes place there.

Abuja’s culture scene, by contrast, feels like something on the margins of the real world. Between government agencies, diplomatic missions and donor-funded civil society organizations — with their endless seminars, round tables and workshops — Abuja feels smothered.

This year is the 40th since a military government decided that Nigerians should emulate Washington, D.C.; Canberra, Australia; Brasília; and Islamabad, Pakistan, by building a new, geographically central capital as “a symbol of Nigeria’s aspirations for unity and greatness.”

But Abuja is proof that while you can decree a city into existence, no administrative fiat can give it a soul. It has neither a national museum nor a national theater, although it does have a National Ecumenical Center and a National Mosque — proof of how important religion is in Nigeria.

And yet there’s plenty to admire in Abuja, and for Lagos to envy: the extensive highways (which, not surprisingly, tend to make the city’s car crashes more spectacular than those in Lagos); the generous portions of green area (where goat-head pepper soup and cold beer are served in gardens in the evenings); the much less humid air closer to the desert north, which makes the heat much more bearable than in Lagos, even though Abuja is hotter.

And Abuja is a hero of sorts, since it was envisioned as an escape valve for Lagos, which has struggled with overcrowding for as long as anyone can remember.

Throughout the 1980s, Abuja developed only halfheartedly, with the lure of Lagos proving more powerful than dreams of a fresh start in the nation’s interior. The turning point came in April 1990 — a coup attempt that failed to topple the four-year-old military government of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.

President Babangida survived it, but his enthusiasm for Lagos did not. Soon he ordered that the seat of government relocate to Abuja. There, a pristine presidential residence lay in the shadow of a 1,300-foot-tall outcropping of rock — a forbidding presence in a city that, unlike Lagos, was not yet touched by chaos.

But while Abuja was appearing to save Lagos by decongesting it, it was simultaneously creating a new problem for Nigeria. According to popular folklore, discontent in the oil-rich Niger Delta bubbled over in the late 1990s when Gen. Sani Abacha, who succeeded Mr. Babangida as Nigeria’s military leader, brought thousands of youths to Abuja for a “2 million man march” to support his effort to succeed himself as a civilian president. The delta youths, the story goes, saw in Abuja’s gleaming buildings and modern roads evidence of the miracles oil money could create, a concept they couldn’t quite accept because back home in the delta, they associated oil only with misery — polluted farms and rivers, and murderous impulses within the army and police squads.

It would be another decade before the delta people would finally feel at home in Abuja. In 2010, Goodluck Jonathan became the first Nigerian president to hail from that region; soon the Hilton’s lobby teemed with men wearing the delta’s trademark gowns and fedoras. Since last May, when President Muhammadu Buhari, a northerner, took office, those gowns have given way to the babanrigas and woven caps of the north.

Around 2010, Abuja also began losing its innocence. Bomb explosions targeted government buildings, diplomatic premises, barracks, newspaper offices and crowded bus parks; the terrorist group Boko Haram and its affiliates are believed responsible.

Those bombings left the city on edge, its streets swamped with military checkpoints and the hills ringed with armed sentinels. These days, thankfully, things are much calmer, and Abuja is finally shaking off its sense of terror.

Meanwhile, 450 miles away, Lagos patiently waits for Abuja to become like it. In the 1950s, the government there decided to develop Victoria Island, until then a waste dump, into a model upscale residential area. But the chaos embedded in the city’s DNA eventually overran the island, too, and is now as endemic there as anywhere else.

There’s nothing to suggest that Abuja — a product of what the Nigerian urban planner Simon Gusah describes as a “let’s run and leave the problem behind” mentality — will not follow the same route as Lagos. After 40 years, it still has no functioning rail system, and everyone travels by road, just as they do in the port city.

I’m tempted to imagine my taxi driver giving Abuja a ride, and turning back to say to it, just as he did to me, “I think I’ve driven you before.” He proceeds to pull up Abuja’s phone number on his phone. There it is, but for some reason it’s saved in his phone book as “LAGOS.”

Tolu Ogunlesi works in digital communications and is the author, most recently, of the novella “Conquest & Conviviality.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/opinion/will-nigerias-new-capital-be-old-soon.html?_r=0
Re: ABUJA Stinks!-nigerian Pilot by oduastates: 1:02pm On Apr 29, 2016
Abuja
A symbol of the waste, corruption, mismanagement and the lack of priorities that Nigeria is known for.

(1) (Reply)

Question: Calabar-lagos Rail Line: Is It In The Budget? Yakassai Asks / Why I Didn't Trust Jonathan...(subsidy) / 14 Prominent Nigerians Who Opposed Fuel Subsidy Removal In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.