Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. (655 Views)

Executive Orders: Osinbajo To Meet Civil Servants On Wednesday / "Get Rid Of Executive Grasscutters": #IStandWithNASS Banner / "Buhari Is The Commander Of Executive Corruption" - Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by TrutforAfrica: 9:51am On Apr 29, 2016
Executive orders as practiced in the US and Decrees as used in The Russian Federation are orders which are issued by the president to address matters of urgent national attention, instead of going through the delays and politics of the parliament.

Is there any provision in the Nigerian constitution that allows the president to issue orders or decrees?

A good and recent example of executive order was one issued by President Obama in 2012, increasing the national minimum wage from $7.25/hour to $10.10/hour. This became law immediately it was proclaimed and did not have to be debated by Congress for weeks.

I am of the opinion that if we have provision for such orders in our constitution, it will serve us better. The only problem will be when we have a bad man in the name of president who is in power to serve some vested interest.

I should also say that, I am bringing up this because of the present state of our Nation, where many things are wrong and the president have to wait for the National Assembly to give him go ahead before doing very serious tasks.

What's your take on this?
Re: The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by PFRB: 10:29am On Apr 29, 2016
Let us see the list of things the president is waiting for the national assembly for.
Re: The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by TrutforAfrica: 11:43am On Apr 29, 2016
PFRB:
Let us see the list of things the president is waiting for the national assembly for.

cheesycheesy
Funny guy. I didn't say the president is waiting for the National Assembly for any thing at the moment. I only want us to look at a scenario where we have a serious national matter to address and the president has to wait for the NA before acting.
If you look at the example I gave in the original post, the American President didn't have to wait for Congress to pass a law increasing the minimum wage, but did it by himself in a single day. Problem solved.
Re: The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by PFRB: 7:46am On Apr 30, 2016
I should also say that, I am bringing up this because of the present state of our Nation, where many things are wrong and the president have to wait for the National Assembly to give him go ahead before doing very serious tasks.

The above is what you wrote. Now list the things that are wrong and for which the president is waiting for the national assembly.
Re: The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 30, 2016
PFRB:

The above is what you wrote. Now list the things that are wrong and for which the president is waiting for the national assembly.

grin cheesy
Re: The Use Of Executive Orders And Decrees. by chriskosherbal(m): 10:44am On Apr 30, 2016
I see

(1) (Reply)

Panamapapers: Secret Assets Of Etisalat Chairman, Hakeem Belo-osagie, Uncovered / I Can Create 100 Million High Paying Jobs In 6 Months. Onwa O. Onwa / Full Video Interview Of Sanusi With Forbes Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.