Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? (3134 Views)

Saraki: Banning Of IPOB By Military & South-East Governors Is Unconstitutional / Osinbajo Committee Is Unconstitutional And Should Be Disbanded / Why We Must All Support The Grazing Bill For The Fulani's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by AgricNation: 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
The bill on grazing reserve is generating a lot of tension in the country. The essence of this bill is to establish a National Grazing Routes and Reserve Commission, which shall acquire lands in all the 36 states of Nigeria for the purpose of grazing and ranching. This is to reduce the cases of conflicts between nomadic herdsmen and livestock farmers and settlers.

The decision of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration intends to give the Fulani and other cattle-rearers and herdsmen free/ legal access to lands all across Nigeria without opposition or even payment. This has brought up conflicts between the landowners and the herdsmen in the past.

If you were to give a decision on this bill, what would be your verdict? And why? How would you ensure the safe transportation of cattle and herd from one area to another?

We would like to hear your opinion.

Follow us on all social media: @agricnation
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by kcnwaigbo: 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2016
ANYONE WHO WANTS A LAND TO GRAZE HOULD GO AND BUY ONE.NOTHING IS FREE EVEN IN FREETOWN.THE USELESS BILL IS DEAD ON ARRIVAL

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by IRserveMyComent(f): 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
This bill is UNCONSTITUTIONALLY UNFAIR!!!

4 Likes

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by IRserveMyComent(f): 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
If they will agree to go by public opinion it will not see the light of the day.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by kcnwaigbo: 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
IRserveMyComent:
If they will agree to go by public opinion it will not see the light of the day.

The useless bill will not even make it past the first reading at the HOR!!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by DaBullIT(m): 6:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
Before i answer the question let me call on mynd44 to be my witness incase some people decide to insult me and report me for replying their insults

Now i need to ask a question , You don't want Fulani's in your homes and lands and your farms

Yet , you do not want them confided in a grazing ranch where everybody will know their whereabouts and avoid them like plagues

Do you want the herdsmen out of the country or do you want them extinct ??

Fulani grazers even if they are uneducated and volatile have the right to own / be given ranches where they won't come to towns to raid and abuse people

the same set of people complaning of raype, assault and massacre are still the ones who won't let them have their grazing lands

So what the fuuurck do you want ??

1 Like

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Tellemall: 8:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
DaBullIT:
Before i answer the question let me call on mynd44 to be my witness incase some people decide to insult me and report me for replying their insults

Now i need to ask a question , You don't want Fulani's in your homes and lands and your farms

Yet , you do not want them confided in a grazing ranch where everybody will know their whereabouts and avoid them like plagues

Fulani grazers even if they are uneducated and volatile have the right to own / be given ranches where they won't come to towns to raid and abuse people

the same set of people complaning of raype, assault and massacre are still the ones who won't let them have their grazing lands

What's wrong with them going back north? Isn't that where the cows came from in the first place, or do they pick cows up along the way? What's wrong with the grass in the vast North? If they can live and breed there as human life forms, the cows can too. Or do the cows deserve more ? Why should the government give them land on which to graze, when it's their personal cow rearing they are going about? Or are the cows property of the state? Can anyone just go pick up a cow if they are now given land?

It's their personal cow rearing business so they should keep it personal. Nobody really likes seeing them constituting a national menace as they herd the cows and themselves through the most unlikely places. They should buy themselves plots of land like any other citizen wishing to do an agricultural business. They can roam from Algiers down to Nigeria and claim right of cow passage and free land because they are nomads? Really?

These people will never be satisfied with just some reserve areas. As long as there is land they must roam it. Don't you know, only they were put on earth to roam and own all of it. Everybody else is in their way.

I don't even see how the matter should be given any consideration apart from educating them on how to relate with people, and teaching them that anywhere their cows roam to doesn't belong to them, and teaching them ways of keeping their horned family members herded in the North.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Observant: 8:23pm On Apr 29, 2016
DaBullIT:

And what's exactly happened to animal husbandry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Eshinwaju: 8:27pm On Apr 29, 2016
When are these ipod youths ever going to realise that there is no such thing in the NA as a Grazing bill.. grin
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blazer234: 10:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
AgricNation:
The bill on grazing reserve is generating a lot of tension in the country. The essence of this bill is to establish a National Grazing Routes and Reserve Commission, which shall acquire lands in all the 36 states of Nigeria for the purpose of grazing and ranching. This is to reduce the cases of conflicts between nomadic herdsmen and livestock farmers and settlers.

The decision of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration intends to give the Fulani and other cattle-rearers and herdsmen free/ legal access to lands all across Nigeria without opposition or even payment. This has brought up conflicts between the landowners and the herdsmen in the past.

If you were to give a decision on this bill, what would be your verdict? And why? How would you ensure the safe transportation of cattle and herd from one area to another?

We would like to hear your opinion.

Follow us on all social media: @agricnation

Is cattle rearing a federal governement business or private business of cattle rearers and cattle owners?

Why would the government be helping them to promote their private businesses? This thing is suspect. Buhari and that bigot in DSS are trying to distribute their boys across Nigeria.

This looks like a subtle drive to islamize Nigeria.

We warned Nigerians that buhari would islamize Nigeria, but we thought it wouldn't be possible.

Now we are all seeing the subtle method they are using.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by DaBullIT(m): 10:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
You looked into your little globe

saw the future and in that version they weren't satisfied ?? Before i even start commenting, what do you understand about the grazing bill ? , have you read the content or are you one of those who join them to condemn fulani

Tellemall:

What's wrong with them going back north? Isn't that where the cows came from in the first place, or do they pick cows up along the way? What's wrong with the grass in the vast North? If they can live and breed there as human life forms, the cows can too. Or do the cows deserve more ? Why should the government give them land on which to graze, when it's their personal cow rearing they are going about? Or are the cows property of the state? Can anyone just go pick up a cow if they are now given land?

It's their personal cow rearing business so they should keep it personal. Nobody really likes seeing them constituting a national menace as they herd the cows and themselves through the most unlikely places. They should buy themselves plots of land like any other citizen wishing to do an agricultural business. They can roam from Algiers down to Nigeria and claim right of cow passage and free land because they are nomads? Really?

These people will never be satisfied with just some reserve areas. As long as there is land they must roam it. Don't you know, only they were put on earth to roam and own all of it. Everybody else is in their way.

I don't even see how the matter should be given any consideration apart from educating them on how to relate with people, and teaching them that anywhere their cows roam to doesn't belong to them, and teaching them ways of keeping their horned family members herded in the North.
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by DaBullIT(m): 10:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
Did you just write waec lol ??

Husbandry is the same as cattle herding , except in advanced nations , livestock/ farm animals are reared and raised on a farm , I mean a real farm , ranch ,

it's the same as herding , except it's the culture of Fulanis not to settle in a place

gerrit ?
Observant:

And what's exactly happened to animal husbandry
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Tellemall: 2:35am On Apr 30, 2016
DaBullIT:
You looked into your little globe

saw the future and in that version they weren't satisfied ?? Before i even start commenting, what do you understand about the grazing bill ? , have you read the content or are you one of those who join them to condemn fulani

The grazing bill is exactly what it sounds like, a grazing bill. A bill designed for opportunistic cows.

Until you tell us why there should be a governmental bill for the Personal Business of nomads, I'll take my crystal ball over you.

I don't see why the tribe cannot be educated rather than throwing a huge bone at them that they will never be satisfied with.

You need to see a Fulani man getting worked up about one of the two bodies growing cold by the tar, and it isn't the body of the little boy who looks like his son; it's the cow.

Oh wait, are you by any means from that end of the country?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Pavore9: 5:01am On Apr 30, 2016
@DaBullIT, my home state is not up to 8% of the size of Niger state, so because they don't feel comfortable with being "confined" to one location we will through the proposed bill(if still in the national assembly) be forced to make room for them?

1 Like

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by Nobody: 5:21am On Apr 30, 2016
It's both unfair & unconstitutional

SIMPLE!

1 Like

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by asha80(m): 5:29am On Apr 30, 2016
DaBullIT:

what is wrong with them buying or acquiring lands for themselves for grazing or ranching?must the government do it for them for free?

2 Likes

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 5:36am On Apr 30, 2016
DaBullIT:
Before i answer the question let me call on mynd to be my witness incase some people decide to insult me and report me for replying their insults

If you understood the difference between grazing routes and ranches as u have mischievously stated, u would see the absolute dumb that resonates with every word you just typed. Like,they have the right to be given ranches? By whom? Did Otedola tell the FG he has a right to all the properties he owns for his businesses? Or Alakija? Or Dangote? What about Innoson? Were any of these and many more entrepreneurs including the pepper seller given business properties from which they operate because 'they have a right'?! They damn well paid for it! Whether by loans to be repaid, family effort or sheer hard work and sweat! The FG did not and does not have to create a commission for the acquisition, allocation and maintenance of business premises for private persons!
So why d distinction and entitlement for cattle rearers?

First, cattle rearing is a purely private business. It is not government owned or regulated and rightly so. The rearers of cattle are businessmen going about their businesses in criminal ways. The role the government ought to play is to crate laws mandating a complete stop to the roaming of cattle within a time frame, say one year. Next, the cattle rearers will be required to acquire properties through legal means as ranches for settlement of their cattle. The government should facilitate the process by making low interest loans available for procurement of necessary machinery for setting up standard ranches. It should also provide adequate training for herders in modern cattle rearing methods.

The implication is that this is a role that will be played by the Ministry of Agriculture. The FG is not expected to expend resources creating a commission for grazing reserves/routes to be managed and funded by the FG when it is not as if proceeds from cattle rearing are funnelled into the Federation account and disbursed to the stated like proceeds from crude, taxes et al are.

Grazing routes imply that the FG will by law, cut through swathes of land in every state and declare it property of cattle rearers to pass through in the course of moving livestock and feeding them. The bill makes it a crime for anyone to encroach on such areas but is curiously silent on criminalising encroachment by d herdsmen on farmlands which is d major cause of the crises in the first instance.

It is an obnoxious law. A businessman should fund his business like every other and abide by the laws of the states he is able to secure and set up his business. He must pay his taxes and ensure he doesn't breach the rights of others. Herdsmen are businessmen and not government babies or charity cases.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 5:44am On Apr 30, 2016
First of all, OP you are wrong. The grazing bill does not say the land will be free. Govt must pay before any land can be acquired and converted to ranch.

Secondly, under the land use act, all lands in urban areas are already vested in the Governor of a state. This means that the Governor already enjoyed the right to acquire your land in public interest, after payment of compensation. The grazing bill only seekes to extend this power to the federal govt so that it can make nationwide solution to the problem.

Thirdly, establishment of ranches is the only way to deal with the tresspassing herdsmen. This is the only bill that will make it illegal for the herdsman to trample over your land and keep moving about unrestrained. Once it is passed, all such movement will become illegal and it will be easier for govt to go after violators, then transfer their cattle to the ranch.

Govt must be careful not to turn the herdmen into another boko haram. because these guys are all over the country. This is a delicate situation that must be approached with wisdom
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 5:47am On Apr 30, 2016
freeze001:

If you understood the difference between grazing routes and ranches as u have mischievously stated, u would see the absolute dumb that resonates with every word you just typed.

First, cattle rearing is pure private business. It is not government owned or regulated and rightly so. The rearers of cattle are businessmen going about their businesses in criminal ways. The role the government ought to play is to crate laws mandating a complete stop to the roaming of cattle within a time frame, say one year.

You cant stop them without creating an alternative. That will be an impractical law. And govt can not be pursuing herdsmen round the clock forever, especially when people still have the right to invite them into their community. So no, this is not a solution
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 5:49am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:

You cant stop them without creating an alternative. That will be an impractical law. And govt can not be pursuing herdsmen round the clock forever, especially when people still have the right to invite them into their community. So no, this is not a solution

I hadn't finished. Read up my complete post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by iKarma: 5:50am On Apr 30, 2016
DaBullIT:

when they're banned, why would people need to be on the lookout for them? Any Fulani found outside of grazing areas beyond the Northern border should be arrested or sh*t on sight.
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 6:08am On Apr 30, 2016
freeze001:

If you understood the difference between grazing routes and ranches as u have mischievously stated, u would see the absolute dumb that resonates with every word you just typed.

First, cattle rearing is a purely private business. It is not government owned or regulated and rightly so. The rearers of cattle are businessmen going about their businesses in criminal ways. The role the government ought to play is to crate laws mandating a complete stop to the roaming of cattle within a time frame, say one year. Next, the cattle rearers will be required to acquire properties through legal means as ranches for settlement of their cattle. The government should facilitate the process by making low interest loans available for procurement of necessary machinery for setting up standard ranches. It should also provide adequate training for herders in modern cattle rearing methods.

The implication is that this is a role that will be played by the Ministry of Agriculture. The FG is not expected to expend resources creating a commission for grazing reserves/routes to be managed and funded by the FG when it is not as if proceeds from cattle rearing are funnelled into the Federation account and disbursed to the stated like proceeds from crude, taxes et al are.

Grazing routes imply that the FG will by law, cut through swathes of land in every state and declare it property of cattle rearers to pass through in the course of moving livestock and feeding them.
The bill makes it a crime for anyone to encroach on such areas but is curiously silent on criminalising encroachment by d herdsmen on farmlands which is d major cause of the crises in the first instance.

It is an obnoxious law. A businessman should fund his business like every other and abide by the laws of the states he is able to secure and set up his business. He must pay his taxes and ensure he doesn't breach the rights of others. Herdsmen are businessmen and not government babies or charity cases.

The emboldened is not correct. Govt is not declaring the areas carved out for grazing as property of herdsmen. On the contrary, FG will pay compensation to the landowners before the land can be acquired. The land remains property of FG.

Recall that the Governor of a state already has power to do this by reason of the Land Use Act. So this is nothing new to our system. The only difference now is that the bill is extending this power to FG. Note that govt can not take any land without payment of due compensation
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by kcnwaigbo: 6:17am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:

The emboldened is not correct. Govt is not declaring the areas carved out for grazing as property of herdsmen. On the contrary, FG will pay compensation to the landowners before the land can be acquired. The land remains property of FG.

Recall that the Governor of a state already has power to do this by reason of the Land Use Act. So this is nothing new to our system. The only difference now is that the bill is extending this power to FG. Note that govt can not take any land without payment of due compensation
So the FG should use our money to pay for lands for private fulani herdsmen to do their business? Are you for real?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 6:20am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:

No...read the provisions of the bill. The proposed commission will have power to acquire land in areas where it deems fit that the practice of cattle grazing should occur. On what basis will the FG arrogate unto itself the power to deem an area fit? If the owner refuses to be party to such and therefore rejects any compensation then what next?

It is not the duty of the FG. The power and ownership is vested in the State governors. The proper thing will be for the cattle herder or the association to apply for an allocation of an area for his stated purpose and the governor/relevant state apparatuses decide on the availability of property for that purpose.

How do you countenance the funding of a commission with full employees and benefits up to pension under civil service rules just for cattle grazing? What happened to the Ministry of Agriculture? Is this not a totally wasteful venture? When did cattle rearing become a government run business to warrant such intervention? Where do u see such practice in any country? Why is the FG so vested in this? Why is there not a proposed commission for farming if u think it makes sense to propose a grazing reserves commission?

2 Likes

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by mikolo80: 6:25am On Apr 30, 2016
Tellemall:

what grass especially during harmattan. that place is a desert.
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 6:34am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:
First of all, OP you are wrong. The grazing bill does not say the land will be free. Govt must pay before any land can be acquired and converted to ranch.

Secondly, under the land use act, all lands in urban areas are already vested in the Governor of a state. This means that the Governor already enjoyed the right to acquire your land in public interest, after payment of compensation. The grazing bill only seekes to extend this power to the federal govt so that it can make nationwide solution to the problem.

Thirdly, establishment of ranches is the only way to deal with the tresspassing herdsmen. This is the only bill that will make it illegal for the herdsman to trample over your land and keep moving about unrestrained. Once it is passed, all such movement will become illegal and it will be easier for govt to go after violators, then transfer their cattle to the ranch.

Govt must be careful not to turn the herdmen into another boko haram. because these guys are all over the country. This is a delicate situation that must be approached with wisdom

The bill is not for ranches, it is to provide grazing routes! In other words, they will still roam only on FG acquired areas. We seem to forget that Nigeria is one melting pot of completely different tribes and cultures which must be preserved. Fulani nomadic routines are strange to the Southerners and so should not be forced by federal law to have these strangers in their midst.

Some of these herders aren't even Nigerians! Which country has given property for the strict use of foreigners and even goes ahead to create a whole new parastatal or commission for that purpose?

It is alright if they want to allocate these lands to them in the North which is their natural habitat. Besides, the North boasts of almost 60% if not more, if the entire landmass in Nigeria. It is also the mainstay of farming so grasses are not in short supply. If fulani businessmen wish to settle anywhere down south then it must be on the terms of the owners and governors of the area not by Federal might.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 6:37am On Apr 30, 2016
freeze001:

No...read the provisions of the bill. The proposed commission will have power to acquire land in areas where it deems fit that the practice of cattle grazing should occur. On what basis will the FG arrogate unto itself the power to deem an area fit? If the owner refuses to be party to such and therefore rejects any compensation then what next?

It is not the duty of the FG. The power and ownership is vested in the State governors. The proper thing will be for the cattle herder or the association to apply for an allocation of an area for his stated purpose and the governor/relevant state apparatuses decide on the availability of property for that purpose.

How do you countenance the funding of a commission with full employees and benefits up to pension under civil service rules just for cattle grazing? What happened to the Ministry of Agriculture? Is this not a totally wasteful venture? When did cattle rearing become a government run business to warrant such intervention? Where do u see such practice in any country? Why is the FG so vested in this? Why is there not a proposed commission for farming if u think it makes sense to propose a grazing reserves commission?

Actually I think your questions are naive. But I will try to answer u any way. First of all, the criteria for determining when it is in public interest to acquire land has already been determined by the courts. And an aggrieved landowner can always sue the govt if he feels the acquisition had ulterior motives. An example of this is when patience jonathan tried to acquire the land of former first land turai under the guise of public interest. The court rejected the action of FCDA in re-allocating the land.

Secondly I think u are only looking at this onslaught by herdsmen from a business perspective. You have failed to take into consideration the security and social angle. There is no amount of money that is too great for security. The problem of invasion by fulani herdsmen cannot be compared to farming that is under the ministry of agriculture. When conflict erupts and people are slaughtered, there is little or nothing ministry of agriculture can do.

Again, despite the conflict, Nigeria still needs to keep its meat. It will not be wise or prudent to ban cattle rearers from nigeria, only to start importing meat from niger or chad. This is economically detrimental to our current predicament as a nation.

Cattle rearing is not a govt run business, but govt has the sole mandate to ensure peace and security around the country. There is also the matter of the constitution that gives rights to both the herdsmen and the landowners. The grazing bill remain the only way to navigate around these difficulties at the moment
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 6:38am On Apr 30, 2016
mikolo80:
what grass especially during harmattan. that place is a desert.

Desert? Yet they claim to be the source of food for the nation without which Southerners would starve so what's the link? Haven't they heard of irrigation? Their governors should understudy the UAE, a confirmed desert and find out how they are able to survive with lush, green vegetation as well. You don’t see them migrating to swampy or more watered regions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by kcnwaigbo: 6:45am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:

Actually I think your questions are naive. But I will try to answer u any way. First of all, the criteria for determining when it is in public interest to acquire land has already been determined by the courts. And an aggrieved landowner can always sue the govt if he feels the acquisition had ulterior motives. An example of this is when patience jonathan tried to acquire the land of former first land turai under the guise of public interest. The court rejected the action of FCDA in re-allocating the land.

Secondly I think u are only looking at this onslaught by herdsmen from a business perspective. You have failed to take into consideration the security and social angle. There is no amount of money that is too great for security. The problem of invasion by fulani herdsmen cannot be compared to farming that is under the ministry of agriculture. When conflict erupts and people are slaughtered, there is little or nothing ministry of agriculture can do.

Again, despite the conflict, Nigeria still needs to keep its meat. It will not be wise or prudent to ban cattle rearers from nigeria, only to start importing meat from niger or chad. This is economically detrimental to our current predicament as a nation.

Cattle rearing is not a govt run business, but govt has the sole mandate to ensure peace and security around the country. There is also the matter of the constitution that gives rights to both the herdsmen and the landowners. The grazing bill remain the only way to navigate around these difficulties at the moment

So according to you,in order to achieve "peace" we should mortgage our lands to the fulani herdsmen otherwise,they will continue to attack us baa?

Well FYI the useless bill is dead on arrival and will not even make it past the first reading at the HOR!!! No legislator from the south/mB will assent to that useless bill.Any further violence from this animals will be met with appropriate response

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 6:45am On Apr 30, 2016
freeze001:

The bill is not for ranches, it is to provide grazing routes! In other words, they will still roam only on FG acquired areas. We seem to forget that Nigeria is one melting pot of completely different tribes and cultures which must be preserved. Fulani nomadic routines are strange to the Southerners and so should not be forced by federal law to have these strangers in their midst.

Some of these herders aren't even Nigerians! Which country has given property for the strict use of foreigners and even goes ahead to create a whole new parastatal or commission for that purpose?

It is alright if they want to allocate these lands to them in the North which is their natural habitat. Besides, the North boasts of almost 60% if not more, if the entire landmass in Nigeria. It is also the mainstay of farming so grasses are not in short supply. If fulani businessmen wish to settle anywhere down south then it must be on the terms of the owners and governors of the area not by Federal might.

Unfortunately, u only restated the problem without providing any solution. You cannot ban herdsmen without providing an alternative. Who will police them round the clock to prevent them from grazing? Not to mention that they are a major source of food for the nation, and food is security.

Stop this "them-us" type of thinking. Govt doesnt see north and south. We are one nigeria. Everybody eats meat, everybody is entitled to security of his land and everybody has the right to move around the country. Or are there no southern business men in the north??

Your comment is not a solution but only serves to compound the problem
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by blackpanda: 6:50am On Apr 30, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

So according to you,in order to achieve "peace" we should mortgage our lands to the fulani herdsmen otherwise,they will continue to attack us baa?

Well FYI the useless bill is dead on arrival and will not even make it past the first reading at the HOR!!! No legislator from the south/mB will assent to that useless bill.Any further violence from this animals will be met with appropriate response

This is a childish response and provides no solution. In a land where people degenerate to "an eye for an eye" everybody ends up blind. We have not finished fight boko haram and your suggestion is that fg shld initiate another war

Pls be rational
Re: Is The Grazing Bill Unconstitutional Or Unfair? by freeze001(f): 6:56am On Apr 30, 2016
blackpanda:

The same bill makes it mandatory that any judgment obtained against the commission cannot be executed without the permission of the AG. So that is the FG whittling down the power of the judiciary. Secondly, how many family land owners are buoyant enough to engage in litigation of this sort? So why create a problem in the first instance?

In ensuring security, the government is also bound to conform to the prevailing customs and traditions of every area otherwise there wouldn't be a ministry of culture and tourism. Fulani beliefs and culture are completely different from what obtains in the South. The government should not therefore force strangers known for their destructiveness on others by Federal might.

The grazing bill will only foster more problems unless its powers are restricted to the north. You say when there is an outbreak of violence the Ministry of Agriculture can do nothing, is it the proposed Grazing Commission that can do anything? Is it a security agency?

I still maintain that government has no business acquiring and maintaining grazing facilities for just a select few with taxpayers money! They should apply for allocations from whichever state governments they wish and follow due process like every other business owner. It is the duty of security agencies to maintain law and order and that includes disarming the herdsmen, tackling their sources of illegal ammunition and prosecuting those found in possession of same.
Security will not come by fuelling their sense of entitlement as federal government brats. They aren't more Nigerian than others and the grazing reserves bill proposal is frigging unheard of anywhere else!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Years Ago ,these NYSC Corpers Were Killed By Buharis Supporters / 5 Senators That Contributed To Magu's Rejection / Nigeria Condemns Israel’s Killing Of 58 Palestinians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.