Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,827 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC (783 Views)

FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / FG Evading Talks On Minimum Wage — NLC / NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by wolesmile(m): 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2016
The Nigeria Labour Congress has said that its proposal to the Federal Government increase the National Minimum Wage from N18,000 Minimum Wage to N56,000 was appropriate in view of the current economic realities especially the high rate of inflation in the country.

A Deputy President of the NLC, Mr. Peters Adeyemi, said during a pre- May Day press conference in Abuja on Friday that the N18000 Minimum Wage was approved when the Naira was exchanging at N145 to the Dollar.

He noted that the Naira had been marked by over 100 percent depreciation in value as it was now exchanging N321 to the Dollar at the parallel market.

Adeyemi said that it was important to increase the Minimum Wage because what the Naira could buy five years ago had reduced by more than a half.

He said that while the prices of goods and services were increasing, the salaries of workers had remained static.

He said, “If you ask me how justified is the N56,000 wage increase inspite of the economic crisis, my answer would be yes, it is highly justified.

“First do not forget that the Naira itself has collapsed beyond the expectation of every Nigerian; I recall when we negotiated the N18,000 minimum wage, the exchange rate then was about N145 to a dollar.

“As of this morning, its about N321 to a Dollar, I heard its a bit stable now at N321, but if you do arithmetical calculations, it shows it is more than one hundred percent poor, in whatever way you want to look at it.

“What that means in effect is that the N18,000 itself has gone down beyond one hundred percent from the time it was negotiated. By implication, what N18,000 could buy as at when it was approved has reduced significantly beyond more than half. It would not be fair to say that we must continue to insist that N18,000 should be what is payable.

“Talking about the inflationary trend, if you look at the values associated with it, even the unlawful increase in electricity tariff, you will find that there has been tremendous increase in the prices of goods and services and salaries of workers have remained stagnant.”

He said that the workers earning a minimum wage of N18,000 were being made to buy fuel at N250 per litre in the black market.

Adeyemi argued that the fact that some state governments refused to pay workers salary should not be taken to mean that the workers would not ask for a new minimum wage.

He said that readiness or refusal of states to pay salaries was dependent on the priority of the states and prudent management of funds.

He said that the NLC and the TUC were still working on the planned one day industrial action to protest the 45 percent increase in the electricity tariff.

He says that this year’s MAY DAY would be celebrated with the team “the Working Class and the Quest for Socio-Economic Revival.”

http://www.punchng.com/53000-2/

1 Like

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by nigeriancritic1(m): 6:30pm On Apr 29, 2016
wolesmile:
The Nigeria Labour Congress has said that its proposal to the Federal Government increase the National Minimum Wage from N18,000 Minimum Wage to N56,000 was appropriate in view of the current economic realities especially the high rate of inflation in the country.

A Deputy President of the NLC, Mr. Peters Adeyemi, said during a pre- May Day press conference in Abuja on Friday that the N18000 Minimum Wage was approved when the Naira was exchanging at N145 to the Dollar.

He noted that the Naira had been marked by over 100 percent depreciation in value as it was now exchanging N321 to the Dollar at the parallel market.

Adeyemi said that it was important to increase the Minimum Wage because what the Naira could buy five years ago had reduced by more than a half.

He said that while the prices of goods and services were increasing, the salaries of workers had remained static.

He said, “If you ask me how justified is the N56,000 wage increase inspite of the economic crisis, my answer would be yes, it is highly justified.

“First do not forget that the Naira itself has collapsed beyond the expectation of every Nigerian; I recall when we negotiated the N18,000 minimum wage, the exchange rate then was about N145 to a dollar.

“As of this morning, its about N321 to a Dollar, I heard its a bit stable now at N321, but if you do arithmetical calculations, it shows it is more than one hundred percent poor, in whatever way you want to look at it.

“What that means in effect is that the N18,000 itself has gone down beyond one hundred percent from the time it was negotiated. By implication, what N18,000 could buy as at when it was approved has reduced significantly beyond more than half. It would not be fair to say that we must continue to insist that N18,000 should be what is payable.

“Talking about the inflationary trend, if you look at the values associated with it, even the unlawful increase in electricity tariff, you will find that there has been tremendous increase in the prices of goods and services and salaries of workers have remained stagnant.”

He said that the workers earning a minimum wage of N18,000 were being made to buy fuel at N250 per litre in the black market.

Adeyemi argued that the fact that some state governments refused to pay workers salary should not be taken to mean that the workers would not ask for a new minimum wage.

He said that readiness or refusal of states to pay salaries was dependent on the priority of the states and prudent management of funds.

He said that the NLC and the TUC were still working on the planned one day industrial action to protest the 45 percent increase in the electricity tariff.

He says that this year’s MAY DAY would be celebrated with the team “the Working Class and the Quest for Socio-Economic Revival.”

http://www.punchng.com/53000-2/
These money you are sharing!

1 Like

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by Islamicpope(m): 6:32pm On Apr 29, 2016
Mr adeyemi I concour with u sir
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by TheNonce: 6:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
wink

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by 989900B: 7:14pm On Apr 29, 2016
And the Naira has not been officially devalued o . . . SMH @ those calling for devaluation of the Naira.

OTOH, the NLC boss is right on point!
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by DaBullIT(m): 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2016
I agree, I concur , if there's need to pay more money to workers , there'll hardly be enough chance to steal our collective money by our politicians

1 Like

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by johnmartus(m): 7:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
For where oga stop ranting where is the money? please dont destabilize our plans for God sake!!!!
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by tuniski: 7:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
989900B:
And the Naira has not been officially devalued o . . . SMH @ those calling for devaluation of the Naira.

OTOH, the NLC boss is right on point!
That false value of 197 is denying us 123bn for every 1bn$ in revenue. That then means we are suffering the negative effect alone without the liquidity! Devalue and let the govt have cash to pay more as the reality dictates. If u get it.

1 Like

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by 989900B: 7:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
tuniski:

That false value of 197 is denying us 123bn for every 1bn$ in revenue. That then means we are suffering the negative effect alone without the liquidity! Devalue and let the govt have cash to pay more as the reality dictates. If u get it.

I don't want to go into devaluation or not discussion with anyone tonight, I, many people on here, many professors out there, distinguished economists, have all contributed their parts as regards why it would be suicide. The Egypt situation after devaluation confirms all those fears/theories as practical, and the clear and present dangers associated with devaluation in Nigeria's case.

I rest my case.
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by alizma: 7:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
Between the current NLS and NAS, can someone tell me which of the two is most of house of mediocre.
while I appreciate the fact that the minimum wage needs to be uncreased, using the dollar rate to justify the 56,000 does not add up.
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by Standing5(m): 8:10pm On Apr 29, 2016
Lazy workforce in an ineffecient system demanding pay rise in the face of dwindling earning. Let them tell us who they help with the idleness level in goverment parastatals.

1 Like

Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
They need more money for COWBELL MILK which is good...
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by sanandreas(m): 8:55pm On Apr 29, 2016
because oil is rising.
Re: Why FG Should Pay N56,000 Minimum Wage – NLC by SleekAboki: 8:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
There's more than enough to service 56,000 Naira for the workforce. They actually deserve better than they are currently demanding.

(1) (Reply)

Pix: Boy's Hand Was Cut Off While Attempting To Steal A Phone Through The Window / PHOTOS: Ex- Nigerian Diplomat, Hamzat Ahmadu Buried / Caption These Photos Of Buhari And Saraki At APC Leaders Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.