Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? (1143 Views)

Femi Gbajabiamila Take On Two Senator Endorsment Rule.. constitution OR NOT? / APC Chieftain Calls For Suspension Of Constitution To Enable Buhari Perform / Atiku Advises Buhari To Reverse The Privatisation Exercise Of The Power Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? by aikayboy(m): 7:13pm On Nov 16, 2006
personally, i'm no fan of Joshua Dariye, but i must admit i have a few issues with his removal as well as the complicity of some higher powers which were involved in his removal. i have no qualms about the claims put forth that the fellow probably looted all that cash and so on and so forth, but then it is hard to sit back and applaud his removal without considering the manner in which he was removed.

we once thought 15 out of 24 legislators was outrageous to impeach a governor as it did not reach the two-thirds majority necessary to impeach, but when u have 6 out of 24 legislators, i honestly don't know what to think again. forget the constitution, does it make sense for 6 people in a house of about 24 people to make a decision that would reflect as a collective majority opinion of the house? i don't think that is even enough to form a quorum to hold sittings in the house! they even had to sneak around to do this, suggesting that what they were doing was not entirely appropriate.

when the new Gov was sworn in he proceeded to thank the President as well as Deputy Senate Mantu for their contribution to his new exalted position. call me whateva but i think Botmang might have cleared the air on who aided him to attain this position. this coming on the heels of a statement less than two days old from the Presidency indicating that it would have nothing to do with state governments, leaving us at a loss for what to believe.

as for Dariye, good riddance to someone i believe single-handedly succeeded in ruining the reputation of Plateau state as a peaceful and homely place to reside or visit. but then we should be careful about precedents because whether we like it or not, this trnd is going to repeat itself in this country both in the near and distant future.

your comments are welcome, please.
Re: Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? by mowapa(m): 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2006
This is a total breach by those rascal called legislators, anyone that took government as a course in highschool should even know this. The most surprising thing is that BAYO alias A G of nija has been silent on this issue, and he wants to be a member of united nations international law commission. d idiot that can't stand up to OBJ
Re: Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? by toshmann(m): 11:53pm On Nov 16, 2006
i think you should read the article by gani fawehinmi on this day newspapers (yesterday or day before that)to get the details of the legality of the impeachment. the constitution says if a legislator changes his party,the party on which he was elected then he looses his seat. as at the time, about 13 legislators in plateau state house of assembly changed from PDP to another party, so the automatically lost their seat in the house. therefore only about 6 people were legitimate members of the house at that time .and they all voted to remove dariye. 100% vote. so, it is quiet legitimate.
cheesy
Re: Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? by Odeku(m): 11:55pm On Nov 16, 2006
I have a posting on Nigeria constitution section 188 read that and you will see.
Re: Dariye's Impeachment: Breach Of Constitution Or Exercise Of Justice? by Nobody: 3:39am On Nov 17, 2006
toshmann:

i think you should read the article by gani fawehinmi on this day newspapers (yesterday or day before that)to get the details of the legality of the impeachment. the constitution says if a legislator changes his party,the party on which he was elected then he looses his seat. as at the time, about 13 legislators in plateau state house of assembly changed from PDP to another party, so the automatically lost their seat in the house. therefore only about 6 people were legitimate members of the house at that time .and they all voted to remove dariye. 100% vote. so, it is quiet legitimate.
cheesy

Yeah, law is very tricky like that. That is why these guys make big bucks, you don't become an expert by reading a section of the constitution (Odeku pay prompt attention).

p.s.: Thanks for identifying my rhymes.

(1) (Reply)

The new History Lectures of Naija . . . / Virgin Nigeria Plane Engine Exploded In Air. / Again, Cbn Sacks Wema Bank Chief, Omoyeni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.