Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

There Will Always Be Another One - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / There Will Always Be Another One (4701 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 6:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
Hi ladies and gents. Have you had your heart broken and you feel you can never find true love again? Are you experiencing emotional torture, mental and physical abuse in your relationships? Or is that babe or bobo you are crazy stupid in love with, using your heart to play football?
My people, if you have fallen into any of these categories, then this story is dedicated to you wink cheesy

All Rights Reserved.
No part of this publication maybe reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written consent of the author.

“Aunty move now!’’
Ronke was startled by an okada man who was taking a one way route along the popular jele road a few meters away from her home. He had horned severally to alert Ronke yet she had seemed dead to the world. Like she was on a personal mission to commit sucide. It wasn’t until he shouted, using all the strength he could muster, screaming on top of his voice, his vocal cord almost jarring out, only then had Ronke looked up in panic and yanked her body off the highway almost immediately.

“Stupid idiot!’’ she shouted after the okada rider.

Ronke was in shock. She came too close to getting hit and it could have been serious. Her mother’s prayers were definitely working. She had heard of many okada accidents and even witnessed one. And all those times, she could never have imagined that it could one day, almost happen to her, not in a gizillion years she had thought.

She made a turn for the sidewalk. She hated the sidewalks; it was sloppy and hilly and made walking difficult. But she had no choice, this time she had to be careful. Already, a crowd of people had gathered waiting and watching. Many, she presumed, wanted to lash out at her for being stupid, for almost getting killed. It was always like that with tatafoos . Like the idle people they were , they would come out of their hiding places and rather than sympathize with you, they would mock and curse at you like you are somehow the reason for their frustrations. As if the trauma of almost getting killed wasn’t in itself enough.

One time, while en-route to work in a bus, she had witnessed a man fall while trying to cross the road. Thankfully, he made it out unhurt but the side remarks from her fellow passengers were rather sickening.

‘’you will just kill yourself for nothing’’ a dirty looking man in tattered trousers and a dirty red t-shirt had shouted.

Another man in blue agbada who Ronke felt had a ridiculously big head, added ‘’if you want to die, don’t die here o, go home and die!’’.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by BossDanniee(m): 6:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
FTC..This is Interesting.. Pls Continue
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 7:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
She hissed, she imagined that in a sane country like America. People would run to you and ask if you got hurt. And if you replied and said "no, I'm okay" even with a smile, they would inquire further ‘’are you sure? Should we call an ambulance?’’ they would ask. Atleast that was what Ronke watched in her American movies.

She struggled to maintain a straight face and fixed her gaze into nothingness. She wasnt going to give in to these crazy bloodsuckers. She imagined giving them all the middle finger.

Lanre was the reason She had been so deep in thoughts. She couldn’t just get him off her mind. The real deal, she felt, was Lanre. He was the ideal man for her. She couldn’t stop herself from going over and over the blind date she had just had with him. With little effort, Lanre had everything she wanted in a man. It had always been very difficult for Ronke to connect with men romantically, she had strict principles and though she knew no one was perfectly made, she believed her principles were absolutely realistic. Any man, who took keen interest in her had better hope she was going to be attracted to him. Else, Ronke wasn’t going to give him the light of day. She so often wondered how easy it really was for spouses who got married to unattractive partners. Not her anyway. If she had to choose between staying starved and going on a lunch date with someone who she felt was unattractive, Ronke would choose the former. She was a sucker for handsome men and she wasn’t afraid to admit it. Why should she? She wanted her kids to have good genes. So, she could never take a compromise in that department, ah never.

Lanre had a good poise which was a big check in her check list. Men who walked like girls irked her to death it was that simple. Ronke also liked her men serious minded, ambitious, committed, funny and romantic. A man who couldn’t love and care for his wife and kids, was no man after all. And a boring man? Hell, no. She just couldn’t deal. He had to know how to strike up conversations with her and make her smile. Surely, some men had all these qualities. And lanre was definitely looking up to it. She smiled.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by wiggle: 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2016
I can feel it!!

1 Like

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by wiggle: 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
OP hurry up so we can hit front page..
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by wiggle: 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
OP hurry up so we can hit front page.. Nice Article
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by wiggle: 7:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
OP hurry up so we can hit front page.. Nice Story
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by BossDanniee(m): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
Lol..more
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2016
Who love don epp?
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 9:42pm On Apr 30, 2016
Lanre was young, 26, and already a doctor; he was tall and walked with the kind of swagger that projected his manliness. He was fair, with a smooth skin and had a smile to die for. Ronke could feel herself melting away each time his gaze met hers. She was trying to remember every detail of the date. The way he spoke, his nonverbal cues, the jokes they shared and how they laughed in unism. He even requested that they both take a selfie. Not that taking selfies on dates was a big deal, but the fact that Lanre himself, had insisted, definitely meant something. She thought, trying hard to convince herself.

An assumption of certainty suddenly flooded her as she remembered waking up that morning feeling beautiful. As she preened in front of the mirror to comb her long natural hair, starring at her reflection, she had marvelled even at her own beauty. Although Ronke had to constantly battled with acnes , her face seemed mysteriously smooth that morning. A signal from God that He too had His approval on the date she was going to have. She had thought.

If she wasn’t certain about anything , she knew this, he wanted to see her again. Walking out of Doggles where they had just had lunch, Lanre held her hands almost too tightly and after taking a few strides, he stopped and looked straight in to her eyes.

“Ronke when will i see you again’’ His gaze so strong and soft at the same time, it made Ronke’s tummy filled with butterflies.
“Soon’’ she had said . Her face straight, she was trying not let off any emotion. If only he knew exactly how she felt.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Ferdyboss: 10:31pm On Apr 30, 2016
Dongata:
Who love don epp?
True Love from Baba God don epp all of us.
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Ferdyboss: 10:39pm On Apr 30, 2016
I love the write up....
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by petux(m): 11:07pm On Apr 30, 2016
nice one up there op
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Nobody: 8:41am On May 01, 2016
Ferdyboss:

True Love from Baba God don epp all of us.

Who all of us don epp?
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 9:07am On May 01, 2016
“Dango! dango ! dango ! essss you dey go?’’ a conductor calling passengers into his bus shouted. Ronke flinched. Though this time she was on the sidewalk, she still had not fully gotten over her near-death experience. Lanre you won’t kill me. She muttered to herself.

Realizing she needed to cross because the market she was going to was at the other end of the road, Ronke waved down some vehicles. It was a freeway and as such a difficult road to cross. She needed a patient driver to slow down and let her walk majestically like a princess that she was. She smiled at the thought. A car stopped and the driver gave an approving nod.

Ronke hated Jaguda market, she hated the smell and the annoying Hausa change sellers who were always in a hurry to hold her hands and pull her towards their stalls as if buying things from them was a thing of compulsion. So irritating, she thought, unaware that she was already frowning. She walked her way to her customer who was popularly called Ibrahim tomato. The nickname he was so fondly called was not that hard to decipher. He had gotten it simply because he sold tomatoes.

As usual, Ibrahim’s stall was overcrowded with so many women; the short, tall, old and over bleached. The sight of over bleached women was always a gory one to Ronke. Swollen arms, green veins and reddish brown- black skin. They reminded her of over ripened paw paw. Ronke’s face tightened, she couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to do this to themselves. She looked away.
It had been awhile now and she was still standing, waiting for her turn. Ibrahim in his dirty caftan was rather than selling his goods, talking to some of his customers. He spoke Yoruba and so it was easy for him to converse with these women. She was familiar with this silly attitude of his. Her eyes went to his caftan and she wandered if that was the only cloth he owned. He always had it on anytime she stopped by.

Ibrahim was a round man with bulging blood shot eyes; almost hungry looking and it still amused her that he had once had the effrontery to try woo her. The fact that he had the guts to pull such a stunt was really entertaining. Perhaps, some strange women encouraged it or what else could have pushed him to try such luck on her? She shrugged. She was getting irritated now; her legs were beginning to feel weak from standing. She also needed to protect herself from the scorching sun. Ronke sat on a lone armless chair at the rear end of Ibrahim’s stall. And as she brought out her phone to check if she had missed a call from Lanre, Ronke felt a gentle tap on her shoulders.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Pinoralia: 9:09am On May 01, 2016
following you closely.
Kudos!!!
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Pinoralia: 9:16am On May 01, 2016
Op, great write up.
go ahead.

slip of pen
scorching Sun no scourging Sun
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Nobody: 9:26am On May 01, 2016
Sai Ivyy!
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 10:47am On May 01, 2016
Pinoralia:
Op, great write up.
go ahead.

slip of pen
scorching Sun no scourging Sun
Thanks dear
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 10:50am On May 01, 2016
There he was, angelic in appearance. And though he wore only a man united t-shirt and short, he had an air of sophistication. He reminded her of Trey Songs, the resemblance was uncanning. He had a shiny ebony completion, His hair; thick, black and curly. Even his eye brows were perfectly curled. He had deep brown eyes, a pointed nose and his lips were not so thick but Ronke could swear he had the pinkest lips she had ever seen on a Nigerian. How could God make someone so perfect? And most importantly what could a Trey Songs look alike want with her? Ronke was taken aback by this stranger’s aura. And for a minute she fantasied about being in his arms, holding him tightly and kissing him. There was something about him that was flawlessly stunning. Staring hard at him she shifted as if to comport herself.

‘’yes?’’

‘’can i see you for a moment please’’ he asked smiling.

The way he smiled, Ronke felt it meant he was so sure of himself, and like Trey Songs, he definitely knew he was a charmer and now he was using it to get to her.

“I saw you across the road, i tried stopping you but you didn’t see me. I had to park my car and follow you’’

“Oh really’’ she said. She was trying so hard not to blush. But in truth, she found it very romantic that he had followed her to try strike up a conversation. Nigerian men were lazy these days. They all relied on the social media to do the wooing for them. Atleast, that was how she met Lanre. She couldn’t remember the last time a guy had parked by the roadside simply to woo her. Yes they mostly looked in admiration and some made funny remarks like hi beautiful, you look sweet! fine sister But they hardly ever stopped. Some would even park at a far distance and would refuse to get out of their cars. She had self-respect, and wouldn’t talk to a man who was so filled up with pride. Still, that did not stop her from feeling bad each time they zoomed off, wandering if maybe she too, because of her pride, had just lost out on her future husband.

She smiled approvingly, looking up at this stranger, as if he had just passed a litmus test.

“In fact i lost you, i was almost giving up when i saw you’’ he continued

“Okay’’ she managed to say dryly. She had wanted to say aww that’s so sweet of you but that would have sounded foolish. Somehow, with this stranger, she was lost with words. Was this what the oyinbos called love at first sight?

He had stopped smiling now, instead , the smirk on his face gave way to confusion and from the way he rolled his eyes from side to side, she could tell he was starting to get embarrassed by her lack of words. He probably thought she was trying to snub him and although, she was enjoying the way she was almost beginning to make this handsome stranger, who initially seemed confident, uncomfortable, she couldn’t forgive herself if she put him off so she gave him her warmest smile and said ‘’there’s no quiet place to go to in this market, it’s too rowdy, should i give you my number?’’

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 12:04pm On May 01, 2016
“That would be perfect, call it out for me’’ he was smiling now

“08001020304, you got it?’’

“Yes 08001020304?’’

“Yes that’s right’’ she smiled back

“alright i will call you as soon as i get home, i'm Lawrence by the way’’ he gave her a suggestive look. One she could swear was almost sensual.

“I'm Ronke” she shouted after him
Ronke sized up Lawrence with her eyes till he was out of sight. He was really tall.

“Aunty how much own? aunty how much own?’’
Ibrahim was trying to get Ronke’s attention. He had witnessed, what he felt was charade between Ronke and Lawrence and to say he was irritated, was an understatement. He had watched Ronke dish out her number to a stranger she barely even knew like a hungry girl on heat and yet for months now she had refused him the same request. It hurt his feelings.

From the look on his face, Ronke could tell Ibrahim wasn’t too pleased. And unlike previous encounters when he would give her extra tomatoes to take home, she knew Ibrahim was is no generous mood to give her fisi .
She laughed “500 naira own everything’’

Everything meant tomatoes, pepper and tatashe as the yoruba’s called it.
She gave him the money mechanically, she couldn’t care less if he gave her fisi or not. Her mind was on Lawrence. She collected her tomatoes and headed home.

“Yes !’’

“who’s at the door!’’ Ronke’s mum shouted from inside the house

“It’s me Ronke!’’

“Eku le o’’

“Welcome home sweetheart’’ Ronke’s mum cheered

“How was your date na?’’

“Ma it was fine o, he's just there jawe’’

Ronke feigned indifference to the question
She was determined not to give herself away. She didn’t want to get teased and besides Lanre’s memory was slowly beginning to fade away.

“So do you like him?’’ Ronke’s mum continued with her questions. What was it with mothers and their prying nose?

“Errm just normal’’ Ronke said trying hard to sound convincing even to herself
Ronke’s mother paused as if to hear more but Ronke said nothing else.
She avoided eye contact, hurried out of the living room, made her way into the kitchen, dropped the tomatoes on the cabinet and headed to her room. She needed to UnCloth and wear something more comfortable for cooking. As she tried re-combing her into a small knot, her phone rang.

It had to be lawrence. The number calling was a strange one. She giggled happily in anticipation.

“yes hello, who’s this?’’ she said trying to form a serious British intonation.

“hi pretty, its Lawrence’’

She blushed unknowingly ‘’hey Lawrence, how are you?’’

“am good, you home yet?” She loved the way he said his good like gouad

“Yes o i just got in sef’’ she was at ease now with Lawrence. A certain ease of familiarity. It was obviously the way he sounded. He was so warm and welcoming.
He laughed “Me too bae, just wanted to check in on you will call you back in an hour okay?’’

“Okay’’ she was excited.

“And oh, can i have your pin please?’’ he was doing it again. He said his please as plueease playfully.
Maybe in a world where girls weren’t too scared to admit their feelings to guys they liked, she would have said ‘oh i thought you’d never ask’ but instead she replied “I’d send it jor”
He laughed “Thanks dearie, later’’

She stared back at her phone, her eyes glittered. And for a moment, she remembered Lanre hadn’t called or pinged her. “That’s funny’’ she said out loud as she started to text her pin to Lawrence.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Ferdyboss: 12:06pm On May 01, 2016
Dongata:

Who all of us don epp?
Oga Dongata, all of us don epp none of us o. grin
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by BossDanniee(m): 12:25pm On May 01, 2016
Oya continue
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by HolyHero: 12:45pm On May 01, 2016
[size=15pt]
nice one ivyy

lalasticlala please move this thread to FP so the world can appreciate this bae's ingenuity and magnanimity

cc. Farano
dominique
obinnau
freiburger
r231
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Pinoralia: 12:52pm On May 01, 2016
Ivvy,
We are waiting on you..

2 Likes

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 01, 2016
Ivyy where you dey, we dey wait for you o, this your story just dey sweet my Belle. Come complete am biko. cheesy
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 6:37pm On May 01, 2016
LastMumu:
Ivyy where you dey, we dey wait for you o, this your story just dey sweet my Belle. Come complete am biko. cheesy

The story has finished lipsrsealed grin
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Divepen1(m): 10:10am On May 03, 2016
Nice one. The flow is really cool.
Atleast, from beginning we know it was a romance.
My Review.
The story, though edging on, is still discussing women's feeling when men want to meet them. And from when Ronke's view, we noticed that beautiful Ivy was able to tell us that men should be bold, and that a woman would always give cues to men they love. Look at Lawrence, for example, Ronke gave him cue that was enough for him to get her number without asking despite the face his confidence was wanining.
Meanwhile, I think Ivy should take the story slowly. ' The dearie thing and the bae are too fast except if the guy will be a womanizer and is aiming for her underskirt.
Also, I think you should still spice that beginning. While, it's okay, I think a little foreshadow would make us read on, and we won't be perturb by Ronke's internal rant about Nigerians.
Maybe, you can move her shout about Lanre upward. Then go on to rant. I understand that you are trying to keep the reason for her thought but that would still be cool.
And I don't know if you have noticed, you're drifting between 3rd person Omniscience and 3rd person limited. And the 3rd person Omniscience was more pronounced in Ibrahim's case. But I want to assume you want the POV to be only Ronke's so why not try to limit what reader's know to Only Ronke's Pov.

I recommend this story to men out there especially the singles, learn from a lady how lady's react to your wooing.

1 Like

Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 03, 2016
ivyy:

Thanks dear
Hey miss,can you please gimme your number..wanna add u up on whatsapp
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 3:20pm On May 03, 2016
Divepen1:
Nice one. The flow is really cool.
Atleast, from beginning we know it was a romance.
My Review.
The story, though edging on, is still discussing women's feeling when men want to meet them. And from when Ronke's view, we noticed that beautiful Ivy was able to tell us that men should be bold, and that a woman would always give cues to men they love. Look at Lawrence, for example, Ronke gave him cue that was enough for him to get her number without asking despite the face his confidence was wanining.
Meanwhile, I think Ivy should take the story slowly. ' The dearie thing and the bae are too fast except if the guy will be a womanizer and is aiming for her underskirt.
Also, I think you should still spice that beginning. While, it's okay, I think a little foreshadow would make us read on, and we won't be perturb by Ronke's internal rant about Nigerians.
Maybe, you can move her shout about Lanre upward. Then go on to rant. I understand that you are trying to keep the reason for her thought but that would still be cool.
And I don't know if you have noticed, you're drifting between 3rd person Omniscience and 3rd person limited. And the 3rd person Omniscience was more pronounced in Ibrahim's case. But I want to assume you want the POV to be only Ronke's so why not try to limit what reader's know to Only Ronke's Pov.

I recommend this story to men out there especially the singles, learn from a lady how lady's react to your wooing.

Thank you so much for that detailed contribution
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by Divepen1(m): 11:47pm On May 05, 2016
ivyy:

Thank you so much for that detailed contribution
You're most welcomed.
Re: There Will Always Be Another One by ivyy(f): 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2016
lalasticlala

(1) (2) (Reply)

Romantic Story :- Diary Of A Lekki Houseboy (18+) Episode 1 / My First Night With A Unilag Babe Part 2 / Diary Of A Lagos Housegirl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.