Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

The Rising Sun. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Rising Sun. (428 Views)

Summary Of The Art Of War By Sun Tzu / My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? / Before The Sun Sets (A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Rising Sun. by RemenZack(f): 10:04am On May 02, 2016
Forever powered by Fiction!

It was so real, blinding and gleaming. It was the Sun, the rising Sun, the one that made my eyes fluttered open to every new day. But now, it was nothing but a fable to my generation and the next.

My Grandmother had prodded me severely never to talk about the things of the gruelling government. But I still had my mouth and I just couldn't shut it.

After stealing rotten oranges from the living tree of Mr Johnson's swathed compound, the one with too many dogs and trees. He had a permanent scowl on his face, but that never stopped I and my fellow mischief creator, Jude.

We still managed to sneak in and steal oranges. Even with the rustling of the leaves, the dogs still laid asleep, not making a single sound to alert Mr Johnson.

The stolen oranges weren't even sweet at all, making me regret for actually risking my life and that of Jude's for nothing but rotten oranges.

When Grandmother heard us talking about our next mischievous plan, she grabbed my ears too tight, making them red for a few days after.

The city was nothing but the inverse of an utopia society. We smiled but it was nothing but a vestige of water paint, which came fading after a little while.

We had dictators for rulers, wealthy men like Mr Johnson, who could get whatever they wanted from the low-life citizens, like I and Jude's families.

Our common resources were no longer ours. Grandmother was forced to work at the municipal farm, even with her racking hands and blinding eye-sight. At the end of every harvesting season, all we got was a morsel of all the good stuffs.

The Sun wasn't even ours any longer. It was for the government as they had caused so much insurmountable havoc on the citizens and on the land.

The Sun grew blind each and every day and one day, it just stopped giving out its gleaming light. Even Grandmother couldn't explain what had gone wrong with the Sun, just like what had gone wrong, just before my Mother's inexplicable death.

But I knew who had to be blamed for all of these things!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Struggle Continue / The Life Of Mr. Wilford / The Vow Chapter 1 Episode 3 (the True Events That Inspired The Movie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.