Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful (4224 Views)

"Killer Herdsmen Are Like Nigerians": Pastor Shares Accident Scene Experience / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin / 8000-Year-Old Dufuna Canoe Discovered In Yobe By Fulani Herdsmen 1987 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by jhasper(m): 1:00pm On May 02, 2016
Recent news of the havoc allegedly wrecked by Fulani herdsmen in different parts of Nigeria particularly the north central and southern parts of the country has continue to generate uproar with Nigerians wondering why the herdsmen seems to be above the law. .

(1)The Fulani are not indigenous to Nigeria Funny as that may sound but it is true. Historically, it is true that of all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, the Fulani are perhaps the only one not indigenous to Nigeria. The Fulani came as settlers in the early fifteen century as clerics in the Hausa city-states of Kano, Kastina and Zaria. According to history, the people who are now referred to as Fulani entered present-day Senegal from the north and east and they moved eastward over much of West Africa after the tenth century. The herdsmen probably still believe that they have the freedom to go about their grazing activities just like it was done in the olden days.

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by jhasper(m): 1:01pm On May 02, 2016
(2)The Fulani also colonized Nigeria . .

Surprised? Yes, Nigeria was colonized twice. It is common knowledge that Nigeria was first colonized by the British and Portuguese but what is often down played is that the Fulani also colonized a part of the country –the Hausa states in northern Nigeria. Most Hausa city-states of the north was under the control of the Fulani by 1810, 6 years after the launch of Jihad under the leadership of the popular Fulani Islamic cleric, Shehu Usman dan Fodio. The Jihad started after the Fulani immigrants (also called the Town Fulani) who had settled in the Hausa states of the north due to the attractive urban culture of the Hausa resented amongst other things what they considered to be an unfair cattle tax levied by imperfect Muslims. So the Fulani in the town (Town Fulani), despite the influence exerted on them by Hausa customs joined the Cattle or Bush Fulani to begin a holy war which led to the conquering of most Hausa states. Since then the Fulani refused to leave and gained more prominence and power due to the formation of the Sokoto Caliphate. Could it be that this domineering attitude is responsible for the “above-the-law” posture that the Fulani herdsmen seems to be displaying?
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by jhasper(m): 1:04pm On May 02, 2016
(3)They rely on backups from their kinsmen from other countries

. The Fulani are so connected to themselves that they still see themselves as one regardless of the limitations imposed by geo-graphical boundaries. Historically, the Fulani are said to be in 20 nations of Africa from Mauritania and Senegal to Sudan, Ethiopia, and Kenya with an estimated population of 7 to 8 million nomadic Fulani and 16 million settled Fulani. It is not out of place for a Fulani from Chad to see a Fulani from Nigeria or Cameroun as one. The bond that exist amongst the Fulani in these countries is strong and should not be under- estimated. The massacre that recently happened in Agatu land, Benue state was said to have been carried out by the Fulani “backups” originating from another African country (allegedly from Republic of Congo) after the herdsmen in Nigeria called for help from the “central command” in Congo

(4)Fulani have rich and powerful people on their side .

Most people think that the herds of cattle that the Fulani herdsmen roam around with are their own. No, not in all cases. The herds of cattle are often times owned by rich Fulani men and women. The Fulani herdsmen in most cases enter into an agreement on how the calves or milk will be shared. This reason also makes them powerful since the herdsmen know that they are the major source of meat in Nigeria and they have prominent people to shield them. .
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by EDSONSMITH(m): 1:26pm On May 02, 2016
GOD PASS THEM SHA
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On May 02, 2016
Some of your information is wrong, some of it is correct. When I get on a computer I'll pinpoint where your posts are correct and incorrect.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Baaballiyo(m): 8:24pm On May 02, 2016
jhasper:
Recent news of the havoc allegedly wrecked by
Fulani herdsmen in different parts of Nigeria
particularly the north central and southern parts
of the country has continue to generate uproar
with Nigerians wondering why the herdsmen
seems to be above the law.

(1)The Fulani are not indigenous to Nigeria
Funny as that may sound but it is true.
Historically, it is true that of all the ethnic
groups in Nigeria, the Fulani are perhaps the only
one not indigenous to Nigeria. The Fulani came
as settlers in the early fifteen century as clerics
in the Hausa city-states of Kano, Kastina and
Zaria.
According to history, the people who are now
referred to as Fulani entered present-day
Senegal from the north and east and they moved
eastward over much of West Africa after the
tenth century. The herdsmen probably still
believe that they have the freedom to go about
their grazing activities just like it was done in the
olden days.

The Fulani arrived Nigeria much later than other tribes, The Hausas also immigrated into Nigeria from east Africa, the Yoruba Oduduwa also immigrated from the middle east or from heavens depending on which myth you consider, the Ibos like tracing their ancestry to Jews, thus all the major Nigerian languages are not Indigeneous to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Baaballiyo(m): 8:35pm On May 02, 2016
jhasper:
(2)The Fulani also colonized Nigeria

Surprised? Yes, Nigeria was colonized twice. It is
common knowledge that Nigeria was first
colonized by the British and Portuguese but what
is often down played is that the Fulani also
colonized a part of the country –the Hausa
states in northern Nigeria.
Most Hausa city-states of the north was under
the control of the Fulani by 1810, 6 years after
the launch of Jihad under the leadership of the
popular Fulani Islamic cleric, Shehu Usman dan
Fodio.
The Jihad started after the Fulani immigrants
(also called the Town Fulani) who had settled in
the Hausa states of the north due to the
attractive urban culture of the Hausa resented
amongst other things what they considered to be
an unfair cattle tax levied by imperfect Muslims.
So the Fulani in the town (Town Fulani), despite
the influence exerted on them by Hausa customs
joined the Cattle or Bush Fulani to begin a holy
war which led to the conquering of most Hausa
states.
Since then the Fulani refused to leave and
gained more prominence and power due to the
formation of the Sokoto Caliphate.
Could it be that this domineering attitude is
responsible for the “above-the-law” posture that
the Fulani herdsmen seems to be displaying?

Its a historical fact you stated, but " above-the-law posture" ? No that's not it.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 9:08pm On May 02, 2016
jhasper:
Recent news of the havoc allegedly wrecked by
Fulani herdsmen in different parts of Nigeria
particularly the north central and southern parts
of the country has continue to generate uproar
with Nigerians wondering why the herdsmen
seems to be above the law.

(1)The Fulani are not indigenous to Nigeria
Funny as that may sound but it is true.
Historically, it is true that of all the ethnic
groups in Nigeria, the Fulani are perhaps the only
one not indigenous to Nigeria. The Fulani came
as settlers in the early fifteen century as clerics
in the Hausa city-states of Kano, Kastina and
Zaria.
According to history, the people who are now
referred to as Fulani entered present-day
Senegal from the north and east and they moved
eastward over much of West Africa after the
tenth century. The herdsmen probably still
believe that they have the freedom to go about
their grazing activities just like it was done in the
olden days.

For one, the Fulani did not come from East Africa, Fulani origins are in Far West Africa which as been the case for at least 8,000 years in the Senegal/Mauritania regions and possibly before then what is known today as Algeria. This was far before Arab acquisition of Algeria when the Sahara was a lush savannah where cattle could graze without any inhibitions. With the desertification of the Sahara from the Savannah that it once was, Fulani moved slightly south into the Sahel in Senegal, Mauritania, Gambia, etc. Senegal and Mauritania was known as Fouta Tooro and eventually lands further South were acquired (Fouta Djallon, Maasina, etc.). I could go on but I don't want to write a book.

We did not come from East Africa, we came from the West and expanded further into the East.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by DanZubair(m): 10:06pm On May 02, 2016
You started it,, but i am still doubting how the fulani accumulated those weapons.

Boldly, this is plan of biafra activists to attract attention from all corners of doron kasa
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by AjaanaOka(m): 6:41am On May 03, 2016
DanZubair:
You started it,, but i am still doubting how the fulani accumulated those weapons.

Boldly, this is plan of biafra activists to attract attention from all corners of doron kasa

Brother, sometimes we have to put sentiments aside and tell ourselves the truth.

If you believe southeasterners are responsible for these attacks, then you are like the metaphorical ostrich with its head stuck in sand.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by DanZubair(m): 10:52am On May 03, 2016
AjaanaOka:

Brother, sometimes we have to put sentiments aside and tell ourselves the truth.

If you believe southeasterners are responsible for these attacks, then you are like the metaphorical ostrich with its head stuck in sand.
Truth is bitter and only sensible fellows grasp that.

You have the information that they are expert in retaliation thats why you tried them, thereby being the mainspring of the killings.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by macof(m): 7:31pm On May 03, 2016
Baaballiyo:

The Fulani arrived Nigeria much later than other tribes, The Hausas also immigrated into Nigeria from east Africa, the Yoruba Oduduwa also immigrated from the middle east or from heavens depending on which myth you consider, the Ibos like tracing their ancestry to Jews, thus all the major Nigerian languages are not Indigeneous to Nigeria.

Yoruba, Edo, Igbo...I will include Igala and Idoma originated in Nigeria, around the Niger-Benue confluence. ... Ijaws are also indigenous to Nigeria

Oduduwa and the middle east claim is obsolete and more importantly lacks credibility. .. no serious person believes all that trash

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Baaballiyo(m): 8:24pm On May 03, 2016
macof:

Oduduwa and the middle east claim is obsolete and more importantly lacks credibility. .. no serious person believes all that trash

So now what is the latest myth about the origin of Yoruba. I agree with you about Ijaw and Edo and the rest you mentioned. Even the Ibos I believe them to be indigenous untill I saw them on many occasions trying to link themselves to Jews. As for the Yorubas am not sure.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by macof(m): 10:27pm On May 03, 2016
Baaballiyo:

So now what is the latest myth about the origin of Yoruba. I agree with you about Ijaw and Edo and the rest you mentioned. Even the Ibos I believe them to be indigenous untill I saw them on many occasions trying to link themselves to Jews. As for the Yorubas am not sure.

not a myth. ..just conclusions based on recently noticed relics and reduced secrecy. Oduduwa is native to Yorubaland not middle east.

ibos are just a lost bunch. .. I blame religious Fanatism. .. just like some Muslims like to connect to the Arabs, religious Christians can deny their own father for the Jews

3 Likes

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 10:41pm On May 03, 2016
macof:

not a myth. ..just conclusions based on recently noticed relics and reduced secrecy. Oduduwa is native to Yorubaland not middle east.

ibos are just a lost bunch. .. I blame religious Fanatism. .. just like some Muslims like to connect to the Arabs, religious Christians can deny their own father for the Jews

Kai!! Yah that's correct. However what's funny is that Christianity has nothing to do with Judaism, they are quite different religions and many Nigerians don't understand that.

I can kind of understand the correlation between Arabs and many other African groups that practise Islam because well as you know Arabic is an Afro-Asiatic language like Hausa, Ngas, Somali, Bade, Zaar, Bole, Gidar, Buduma, Tamasheq, etc. etc. However with Yoruba, Igbo, etc. there is no relation to the middle east like you said.

The Fulani language Fulfulde is classified to be in the same language group as Serer and Wolof of Senegambia. So with that too, there is no relation to the middle east.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by curi00: 10:50pm On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

Kai!! Yah that's correct. However what's funny is that Christianity has nothing to do with Judaism, they are quite different religions and many Nigerians don't understand that.

I can kind of understand the correlation between Arabs and many other African groups that practise Islam because well as you know Arabic is an Afro-Asiatic language like Hausa, Ngas, Somali, Bade, Zaar, Bole, Gidar, Buduma, Tamasheq, etc. etc. However with Yoruba, Igbo, etc. there is no relation to the middle east like you said.

The Fulani language Fulfulde is classified to be in the same language group as Serer and Wolof of Senegambia. So with that too, there is no relation to the middle east.

@Fulaman198
Do you know Elijah Shabazz ?
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 11:03pm On May 03, 2016
curi00:

@Fulaman198
Do you know Elijah Shabazz ?

Yes, i have heard of him, isn't he American?
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by curi00: 11:12pm On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

Yes, i have heard of him, isn't he American?
He is but because he looks Fulani, he thinks he is Fulani from Fouta Djallon. He wrote a book about how some Fulani from Guinea were brought to South Carolina in America or another place I dont remember.

What do you think of him ?
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 11:14pm On May 03, 2016
curi00:

He is but because he looks Fulani, he thinks he is Fulani from Fouta Djallon. He wrote a book about how some Fulani from Guinea were brought to South Carolina in America or another place I dont remember.

What do you think of him ?

I don't know much about him to jump to conclusions as admittedly, I don't know many Black Americans. I only hear of them from time to time when reading articles.

If he truly wants to determine his Fulani blood, he should do a blood test.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by curi00: 11:24pm On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

I don't know much about him to jump to conclusions as admittedly, I don't know many Black Americans. I only hear of them from time to time when reading articles.

If he truly wants to determine his Fulani blood, he should do a blood test.
He has'nt done a blood test from what I know but he learned fulfulde and has been several times to Guinea. He even adopted a fulani name "bah". I personally think he is a mix of several tribes because you can't be American and just descent from one tribe but Fulani is surely on of them.

Anyway, I talk to you about him because he is really interested in Fulani history but he seems to have an obsession about "light skin Fulani" and how they are closer to Horners or Berbers.

I shouldnt be suprised because American are obsess with skin's color and Horn Africa, plus he is member of the nation of islam.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 11:32pm On May 03, 2016
curi00:

He has'nt done a blood test from what I know but he learned fulfulde and has been several times to Guinea. He even adopted a fulani name "bah". I personally think he is a mix of several tribes because you can't be American and just descent from one tribe but Fulani is surely on of them.

Anyway, I talk to you about him because he is really interested in Fulani history but he seems to have an obsession about "light skin Fulani" and how they are closer to Horners or Berbers.

I shouldnt be suprised because American are obsess with skin's color and Horn Africa, plus he is member of the nation of islam.

Americans are weird, especially some Black Americans. Some of them over-obsess over light-complexion and light-skin. That's why a lot of them for instance are into Ethiopian females because they believe that Ethio females are all light in complexion (which is far from the truth).

He also needs to realise that there is no relation between Fulani and Berbers and Fulani and the Horn really. Yes, there are similar phenotypes but culturally besides Islam, we are different people.

2 Likes

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by curi00: 11:51pm On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

Americans are weird, especially some Black Americans. Some of them over-obsess over light-complexion and light-skin. That's why a lot of them for instance are into Ethiopian females because they believe that Ethio females are all light in complexion (which is far from the truth).

He also needs to realise that there is no relation between Fulani and Berbers and Fulani and the Horn really. Yes, there are similar phenotypes but culturally besides Islam, we are different people.

This obsession is due to slavery unfortunately.

Yes Fulani are different from Horners and they have a very unique look.
Some Fulani are mixed with Berbers just like some are mixed with Hausas and others tribes. So because some are mixed with Berbers, that's why people assume Fulanis are linked to Berbers.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 11:58pm On May 03, 2016
curi00:

This obsession is due to slavery unfortunately.

Yes Fulani are different from Horners and they have a very unique look.
Some Fulani are mixed with Berbers just like some are mixed with Hausas and others tribes. So because some are mixed with Berbers, that's why people assume Fulanis are linked to Berbers.

Yeah and really the only Fulani that are mixed with Berbers (Touaregs) are the ones living in Niger Republic mainly, not too sure about how Fulani relations are with Touaregs in Mali, Burkina Faso, etc. But in Nigeria, Fulani don't really mix with Touaregs much and mix more so with Hausa.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by absoluteSuccess: 11:17am On May 05, 2016
macof:

Yoruba, Edo, Igbo...I will include Igala and Idoma originated in Nigeria, around the Niger-Benue confluence. ... Ijaws are also indigenous to Nigeria

Are you on another circle now?

Well, I trust you to bamboozle your way through any of your crazy conclusions.

I believe this line is the actual "reduced secrecy" agenda you are talking about.

You should always be on guard you know. You don't write off our ancestors on a faceless forum to sound wise.

Feel free to share your new myth you've found and preferred to use to replace the one just tore to shreds.

Putting us in historical vacuums can only mean we are ahistorical people.

"He who chooses the beginning of the road chooses the place it leads to."
- Harry Fosdick
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 05, 2016
Mr Seun - why is your moderator deleting my comments? I know Nairaland rules from 1 - 22 and I did not break any of them.

Rule 1 and 2 says:

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.
3. Don't threaten, support or DEFEND violent acts against any person, tribe, race, animals, or group (e.g. rape).

I did not break those rules that apply to fulanis... if i don't like fulani/fulani herdsmen, I should be free to say I don't like them - that is not hate speech, that is not an insult and that is not a provocation.

In my comment, i did not threaten, support or defend violent acts against fulanis - i said in an equally matched confrontation like the 1843 battle in oshogbo (i stated a historical fact) let us see how the fulanis fare... where is the rule breaking in that?

I also said fulani herdsmen are opportunists - and I still did not break any rules!
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Fulaman198(m): 11:24pm On May 05, 2016
TheTransformer:
Mr Seun - why is your moderator deleting my comments? I know Nairaland rules from 1 - 22 and I did not break any of them.

Rule 1 and 2 says:

I did not break those rules that apply to fulanis... if i don't like fulani/fulani herdsmen, I should be free to say I don't like them - that is not hate speech, that is not an insult and that is not a provocation.

In my comment, i did not threaten, support or defend violent acts against fulanis - i said in an equally matched confrontation like the 1843 battle in oshogbo (i stated a historical fact) let us see how the fulanis fare... where is the rule breaking in that?

I also said fulani herdsmen are opportunists - and I still did not break any rules!

If you are absoluteSuccess you are breaking the rules. Even though I am a Fulani, I don't care if you hate me or not, however there will be other Fulani on here that do care! You don't see Fulani people opening threads about people they dislike. We are not bigots like you are.

"Fulani mbororoje are like traditional spy getting to understand your territory better than you do and I can categorically tell you, you will lose your domain to them in time to come." Yah definitely not being bigoted (sarcasm)

2 Likes

Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Nobody: 2:00am On May 06, 2016
1.) Since when did my username become AbsoluteSuccess? If you think I am him then check our IP addresses.

2.) Go and read my comment and look for where I wrote "Fulani mbororoje are like traditional spy getting to understand your territory better than you do and I can categorically tell you, you will lose your domain to them in time to come."

You were just in a hurry to delete everything that you could NOT see that I did not write that, it was some other guy that QUOTED (mentioned) my comment!

3.) I am not interested in knowing what fulanis care or do not care about.

4.) What exactly is your definition of "bigot"? Someone opens a thread and says fulani are powerful and I comment that fulani are opportunists who usually have better weapons than the people they go against (and let us see how they would fare when the have opponents that are equally matched)... and immediately you run as fast as flash and hide my comment... and you are calling me a bigot? You are the "bigot" yourself!

5.) I did not ask you if you are Fulani - i am not interested in knowing that.

Seun - I am sure the next thing is to give me 1000 years ban (sarcasm)

Fulaman198:

If you are absoluteSuccess you are breaking the rules. Even though I am a Fulani, I don't care if you hate me or not, however there will be other Fulani on here that do care! You don't see Fulani people opening threads about people they dislike. We are not bigots like you are.

"Fulani mbororoje are like traditional spy getting to understand your territory better than you do and I can categorically tell you, you will lose your domain to them in time to come." Yah definitely not being bigoted (sarcasm)
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by absoluteSuccess: 7:53am On May 06, 2016
Fulaman198:

I expected you to deny my assertion and put your people in good light, not hiding my post and taken me for someone else.

I don't care if you think I hate you, you are not of any problem to me and I think you are a gentleman. I don't care if you see me as a bigot, maybe that's how you understand, I am a lone ranger, I don't flock.

I am not a party to people who go hurting others, my business here is just enlightening my audience of the beauty and intricacies of Yoruba culture.

Were you not excited when a fellow denigrated Oduduwa, refers to as the Father of Yoruba?

Must you be a party to writing off what is bigger than you? I expected you to thread carefully on others history, because I would have hidden your post and the one you quoted too.

Between, you will put it right that it's "Dan Foduyo" if I say "Dan Fodio". You cherished your own. It's not bigoted putting it right.
Re: The Reasons Fulani Herdsmen Are Powerful by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 06, 2016
It seems you are the guy he is confusing me with... the moderator is calling me a bigot, when he himself is the SUPER BIGOT!

If I was the one that first called him a bigot, I would have gotten like 300 years ban.

Just because I said something along the line of fulani herdsmen usually go against opponents with little or no firearm weapons and let us see how they fare if their opponents are equally matched (and I reference battle of oshogbo in 1843), he ran to delete my comment...

Let him check our IP addresses and confirm if we are the same person.

Maybe they should put Rule 23: Don't say anything that we do not like... grin grin grin grin

absoluteSuccess:

I expected you to deny my assertion and put your people in good light, not hiding my post and taken me for someone else.

I don't care if you think I hate you, you are not of any problem to me and I think you are a gentleman. I don't care if you see me as a bigot, maybe that's how you understand, I am a lone ranger, I don't flock.

I am not a party to people who go hurting others, my business here is just enlightening my audience of the beauty and intricacies of Yoruba culture.

Were you not excited when a fellow denigrated Oduduwa, refers to as the Father of Yoruba?

Must you be a party to writing off what is bigger than you? I expected you to thread carefully on others history, because I would have hidden your post and the one you quoted too.

Between, you will put it right that it's "Dan Foduyo" if I say "Dan Fodio". You cherished your own. It's not bigoted putting it right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Makes Igbo's Different And Proud From The Rest Of Nigerians / Yoruba And Benin Kingdom: Ile Ife The Final Resting Place Of History / Ladunwo Masquerade In Okemesi Ekiti, Ekiti State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.