Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) (1145 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Some Common Errors In English. / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by SPDAZZY(f): 7:53am On May 03, 2016
While going through posts on Facebook, I noticed this interesting case of an aged women(101) who just put to bed.

Something caught my attention; the white Facebook user had apparently murdered the English language.

Though, I am an advocate of properly tensed speeches, I cannot help but say, we should sometimes cut our brothers some slack. This is not to say that they should not be corrected and made to improve, but the mockery should be less.

My humble opinion. Have a great day.

Congratulations to the newest, oldest mother.

Cc: Fynestboi, Olawalebabs, Richiez, lalasticlala

Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by lordtim001(m): 8:31am On May 03, 2016
A 101 year old woman put to bed? shocked This wan pass Sarah and Abraham
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by bentlywills(m): 9:10am On May 03, 2016
God in his wonders

BTW the English on dat fbk post no be here ooo cheesy grin
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by possibilita(m): 9:26am On May 03, 2016
Wow what a grandma but @ op nobody is gonna b looking @ d error in d English her but d miracle that have happened.
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by SPDAZZY(f): 9:30am On May 03, 2016
possibilita:
Wow what a grandma but @ op nobody is gonna b looking @ d error in d English her but d miracle that have happened.

I get your point.

I thank God for the miracle but I also wanted to use the medium to talk about the criticisms Nigerians face. If one of us had committed that error, I am sure it would have been flooding timelines now.
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by Fynestboi: 10:24am On May 03, 2016
Really shocked shocked
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by Nobody: 11:28am On May 03, 2016
lol
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by MisterDreamz(m): 2:10pm On May 03, 2016
Share in the old woman's joy and forget the rest please!
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by okeyben10: 3:00pm On May 14, 2016
my dear she's white doesn't mean her official language is English. English may be a second language to her or she may have written that in her language and translated on some site and gotten that feedback. yu did study foreign languages so yu might know what m talking about.

Whereas in Naija English is our official language and even mother tongue for some of us
So its difficult to overlook blunders
SPDAZZY:

I get your point.

I thank God for the miracle but I also wanted to use the medium to talk about the criticisms Nigerians face. If one of us had committed that error, I am sure it would have been flooding timelines now.

1 Like

Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by SPDAZZY(f): 9:10pm On May 14, 2016
okeyben10:
my dear she's white doesn't mean her official language is English. English may be a second language to her or she may have written that in her language and translated on some site and gotten that feedback. yu did study foreign languages so yu might know what m talking about.

Whereas in Naija English is our official language and even mother tongue for some of us
So its difficult to overlook blunders

You are right.
Re: Errors Are Not Peculiar To Nigerians. (See Proof) by mrblessed(m): 5:28pm On Dec 26, 2018
Despite the fact that this is an old tread, as an apostle of grammatical felicity, I feel compelled to make contribution regarding your view. First, it is wrong to think that every white person who speaks English is from England, or countries designated as native speakers of English. Even in these countries, some people, especially those not properly educated, still make solecism both in speech and writing. I wouldn't have bothered to write this if you had stated that people should be corrected with love, and not to shame and demean their personality. Not to use your words, "give them some slack." Obviously meaning to allow them potter in mediocrity.

Second, we should always encourage our people to unerringly obey grammar rules since we have chosen English as our lingua franca. A vast majority of Nigerians cannot speak their languages fluently, or write it without making errors. So, if we fail to master our local languages partly due to the intrusion of colonialism and struggle with understanding of English language, then what language should we proficiently speak/write?

(1) (Reply)

Nitda Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2016 / JAMB Lists Fresh 8 Conditions Universities Must Stick To In Admitting Students / JAMB CBT 2017/2018 Registration Form Now On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.