Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola (965 Views)

14-Year-Old Girl In Owerri Is HIV Positive After She Was Sexually Abused (Photos / Half Of Married Couples In Akwa Ibom Are HIV Positive! - AKSACA / How an hiv positive lady almost lured me into sex without condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola by nspodcast1: 2:35pm On May 03, 2016
Ola a 20 years old student of The University of Lagos Nigeria, has opened up about his experiences on the NoStrings podcast about living with HIV and being gay in Nigeria.

He explained on the podcast about how he opened up to his health councilor concerning his sexual orientation, and the reaction he got, also about how his family is currently coping with realizing that he is HIV positive.

HIV/AIDs has over the years been linked to homosexuality by both epidemiologists and health professionals, especially as it was first discovered in the early 80’s in five homosexual men who showed serious symptoms of the virus?

Many have used this fact to oil an argument, claiming that HIV is a gay disease. Now in truth, most homosexuals engage in frequent unprotected sexual activities mostly as a way of escaping the homophobic realities that they consistently experience from the society, and thus leading to risky and reckless sexual behaviors. And these behaviors, further increases the number of LGBT persons exposed to the virus, eventually leading to an increasing number of infected LGBT persons.

And to make matters worse, sadly, some religious institutions, and even individuals within these religious organizations has continued to ignorantly attribute the cause of HIV to homosexuals and homosexuality. Some claim that HIV is a curse from their God on homosexuals for engaging in immoral and what they call a detestable lifestyle.

Clearly, HIV is not a gay disease, as just anyone could get infected, regardless of sex, ethnicity, or sexual orientation; However, HIV still severely affects homosexuals across the globe.

A leading factor that has led to the widespread of the disease is the constant promotion of widespread homophobic behaviors. Discrimination is also a key factor in this very sad resulting outcome.

Most LGBT people live in fear and isolation, dealing with internalized homophobia, depression, guilt and shame, and are busy going through all these things with less time to focus on their health, and caring less about getting tested and staying healthy.

They fear exposure, as they may not freely be able to discuss issues concerning their health in general for fear of being discriminated against.

Follow here to listen to the interview: http://nostringsng.com/experience-gay-hiv-positive-nigeria-ola/
Re: My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 03, 2016
Rubbish thread, where's the interview? Mtchhwwww
Re: My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola by sinaj(f): 2:55pm On May 03, 2016
Yea

Av noticed that lots of gays are hiv+
Re: My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola by nspodcast1: 2:59pm On May 03, 2016
Please follow the link to listen ok? Be careful the way you become easily angry. Thanks
lofty900:
Rubbish thread, where's the interview? Mtchhwwww

1 Like

Re: My Experience, Being Gay And HIV Positive In Nigeria – Ola by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 03, 2016
sinaj:
Yea

Av noticed that lots of gays are hiv+
shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided and how many gay friends do you have??

(1) (Reply)

Pest Management. Fumigation. Pest Control. / [VIDEO,PHOTOS] Baby Born With His Heart Outside The Body In Yobe State / Help!!! Tramadol Withdrawal Symptoms!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.