Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail (12031 Views)

George Weah Set For Thanksgiving At Synagogue Church Of All Nations / How Can One Get Morning Water At The Synagogue Church? / Bus Carrying Synagogue Church Members Falls Into Ditch While Avoiding Cows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by DONSMITH123(m): 3:00pm On May 03, 2016
A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja on Tuesday granted N10m bail to each of Engineers Oladele Ogundeji and Akinbela Fatiregun who built the collapsed Synagogue Church Of All Nations’ six-storey building.

The building which collapsed on September 12, 2014 killed no fewer than 116 persons and left many others injured.

The two engineers alongside their companies – Hardrock Construction and Engineering Company and Jandy Trust Limited – are being tried on 110 charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Standing trial along with them are the Registered Trustees of SCOAN, who were charged with the offence of building without the approval of the state.

The defendants were arraigned on April 19, 2016 by the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions before Justice Lateef Lawal-Akapo.

They had pleaded not guilty, following which the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions, Mrs. Idowu Alakija, urged the judge to remand Ogundeji and Fatiregun in prison custody pending trial.

However, counsel for Ogundeji and Fatiregun, Mrs. Titilola Akinlawon (SAN) and Mr. Olalekan Ojo respectively, subsequently filed applications urging the court to admit their clients to bail in liberal terms.

Ruling on the bail applications on Tuesday, Justice Lawal-Akapo said he was inclined to admit Ogundeji to bail because the state did not contradict the argument of his lawyer that Ogundeji was a law-abiding citizen, who did not jump the administrative bail earlier granted him by the police and another bail granted him by a magistrate’s court where he was first taken.

The judge also affirmed the argument of Fatiregun’s lawyer, Ojo, who described as speculative the claim by the state that Fatiregun, who was not resident in Lagos State, might run out of the court’s jurisdiction if granted bail.

Justice Lawal-Akapo agreed with the submission of the counsel for the 2nd defendant, Chief E.L. Akpofure (SAN), who argued that “speculation had no place in law.”

The judge said as none of the seven conditions for granting bail listed by the Court of Appeal was against the engineers, he was inclined to exercise his discretion in their favour.

He thus admitted each of Ogundeji and Fatiregun to bail in the sum of N10m each with two sureties in like sum.

One of the sureties, the judge said, must be a civil servant on not less than Grade Level 14, whose employment status must be confirmed by the Head of Service concerned.

The second surety, the judge said, must own landed property in Lagos State and must be willing to deposit the title document with the court.

The court said the surety must show evidence of three years tax clearance by the state, as well as supply his utilities bills and other documents authenticating his residential address.

The judge said the Chief Registrar of the court must verify the suitability of the sureties to stand for the accused persons.

He also ordered the accused person to deposit their passport with the Chief Registrar pending the conclusion of trial.

Further proceedings in the case were adjourned till May 19, 2016 when the state is expected to open its case.

http://www.punchng.com/manslaughter-synagogue-engineers-get-n10m-bail/
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by OsusuMustFlow(f): 3:11pm On May 03, 2016
Good one

4 Likes

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by SeverusSnape(m): 3:12pm On May 03, 2016
OsusuMustFlow:
Good one
Bad one.
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by OsusuMustFlow(f): 3:22pm On May 03, 2016
how sir

SeverusSnape:

Bad one.
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 03, 2016
Everything in my country is about money anyway don't forget to download my singles too Bi a l'OWO
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Barselonia(m): 3:25pm On May 03, 2016
hope they wouldn't jump d bail....

anyone That's one of engineering hazard....

doctor mistake kill one patient But engineer mistake, many are involved...

r.I.p to those involve again
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by SeverusSnape(m): 3:25pm On May 03, 2016
OsusuMustFlow:
how sir
Because of their carelessness and negligence, Innocent lives were lost.
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by MadCow1: 3:25pm On May 03, 2016
My God!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

10 Million Naira?

The Judge remember how many people die for that matter at all?
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by sherif4owo(m): 3:26pm On May 03, 2016
Although I can't judge since I do not have the details, but yet I think the engineer deserve worse. sad undecided
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by dwilliams: 3:27pm On May 03, 2016
I won't take dis serx unless d pastor is also arrested, or who gave d engineers d final order to proceed

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by cold(m): 3:27pm On May 03, 2016
Slap on the wrist. Anyways,In the end i hope that con man TB Joshua or whatever he calls himself is convicted for involuntary manslaughter. So many have been wasted due to his greed.

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by ernesty20(m): 3:27pm On May 03, 2016
That Is A Lot Of Money There
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by moscobabs(m): 3:28pm On May 03, 2016
iranu
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Bad one.

i swear a really bad one...after using sub_standard goods and killing over a hundred, this wah they get for justice cos am sure this whr it will all end..case closed....

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by younowell: 3:30pm On May 03, 2016

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by jkaro(m): 3:30pm On May 03, 2016
I know God will see them through.....no matter the high class of demonic manipulation God work must go on.....Better is not good enough the best is yet to comes.Emmanuel.

8 Likes

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 03, 2016
and point of correction OP..it is nt manslaughter buh MURDER
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by akilo1: 3:32pm On May 03, 2016
dwilliams:
I won't take dis serx unless d pastor is also arrested, or who gave d engineers d final order to proceed
dogoyaro when are u going to get sense?go and arrest him.weed at work

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by kennyman2000(m): 3:32pm On May 03, 2016
Hmmm...
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 03, 2016
jkaro:
I know God will see them through.....no matter the high class of demonic manipulation God work must go on.....Better is not good enough the best is yet to comes.Emmanuel.

Whatchu Tryna say Bro.?
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Emeskhalifa(m): 3:40pm On May 03, 2016
Nawa ooo.

Want some affordable data
Check my profile
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 03, 2016
2undexy:
and point of correction OP..it is nt manslaughter buh MURDER
The prosecutor is charging the defendants with the appropriate crime.

To charge the engineers with murder, the prosecutor has to prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that the engineers planned well in advance to kill 116 people. Murder is the intentional killing of a human being with malice aforethought.

On the other involuntary manslaughter involves reckless conduct by the defendant which results in a loss of life. Meaning that the defendants' actions weren't premeditated, but were the result of their reckless professional conduct.

Looking at the facts of this case, the prosecution would more likely secure a conviction on the involuntary manslaughter charge, than murder.

4 Likes

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by quatum: 3:50pm On May 03, 2016
killer are been free in NIGERIA SINCE 1914
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by GloriaNinja(f): 4:01pm On May 03, 2016
They deserve more than worst, for using sub-standard material and causing the death of hundreds of people.
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by alobright17(m): 4:06pm On May 03, 2016
cold:
Slap on the wrist. Anyways,In the end i hope that con man TB Joshua or whatever he calls himself is convicted for involuntary manslaughter. So many have been wasted due to his greed.
go arrest him na no be to stay here they make noise while he is out there living even larger than life .
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by Bondesniger(m): 4:07pm On May 03, 2016
for the records after all this trouble you will all know it has political undertone

GOD is in control
GOD with us.
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by alobright17(m): 4:07pm On May 03, 2016
2undexy:

i swear a really bad one...after using sub_standard goods and killing over a hundred, this wah they get for justice cos am sure this whr it will all end..case closed....

Bokoharam killed how many?your cattle men killed how many?

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by stobery(m): 4:08pm On May 03, 2016
TBJ
Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by alobright17(m): 4:09pm On May 03, 2016
jkaro:
you said it all jare

2 Likes

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by stobery(m): 4:10pm On May 03, 2016
jkaro:

Wise saying of prophet TBJ

4 Likes

Re: Synagogue Engineers Get N10m Bail by alobright17(m): 4:15pm On May 03, 2016
2undexy:

How many airline owners,transporters like Dangote,Ifesinachi the young shall grow e.t.c dey jail now?how many of your Cattle brothers has been in court for mass killing?or they never killed enough to warrant arrest? you will wait forever for T.B got to jail.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Times Do They Collect Tithes And Offering In Your Church? / 2016 RCCG Holy Ghost Congress Dec 5-10th / What Is Your Favourite Christmas Carol Song?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.