Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,417 members, 7,812,229 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm (1253 Views)

SOLD!!! Six Acres Of Plantain Farm For Sale In Ogun State / How To Get Best Hybrid Plantain Sucker/ Plantain Farm Management in Nigeria / Ogbomoso Plantain Farm Estate:Your Fastlane To Making Millions And Wealth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Moyanbe(m): 3:49am On May 05, 2016
Hello Dear reader, i am opening this thread so as to open your mind to the information needed before you start your plantain plantation. Many investors has failed in this field due to lack of good information and falling into the hands of online farmers, not those that practice it.
I will be releasing weekly notes or information needed to be successful in plantain business.

I am Oke Olayiwola Taiwo, owner of www.farmlifeng.com

Sit tight as i start releasing the notes. Questions are highly welcomed.

Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Moyanbe(m): 3:53am On May 05, 2016
Selecting land For Plantain Plantation
It is a believe that failure to plan is planning to fail. So therefore, setting up a farm requires a well detailed goal and procedure. The first procedure is site selection. Plantain can’t grow on any type of soil. That is why you need to choose the best land. What you need to consider in site selection are:

Nearness to market: When your plantain farm is too farm to the market, cost of moving your produce to the market will be high and more also, the cost of getting the implements ar materials needed to the farm will also be high

Soil type: sandy loam or loamy soil

Availability of labour: do not site your plantain farm where you could not get dependable and cheaper labour

Land History: the best land for plantain plantation is a virgin. Reasons are: you will experience less weed problem, the soil fertility will be high and there will be less occurrence of pest and disease that could turn the land to their colony.

Weather: do not choose a farmland location where there is high temperature and less rainfall throughout the whole year. understanding the farmland location weather condition will help in taking better decisions.

Nearness to planting material.

I see you in the next lecture...till then, bye for now
Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by portside(m): 5:41am On May 05, 2016
I like your practicality on the topic
Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Moyanbe(m): 11:38pm On May 06, 2016
This is what we need to achieve success in life and not only in farming. Thanks bro
portside:
I like your practicality on the topic
Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Flexherbal(m): 5:52am On May 07, 2016
Very informative.
Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Moyanbe(m): 11:52am On May 07, 2016
Thanks.. Information these days must be highly valued or else we pay through our nose to get them back. if not, we lose it totally.. My dear reader, Always be informed.
Stay tuned for next lecture tmr. It promised to be more practical
Flexherbal:
Very informative.

Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by Moyanbe(m): 8:41am On May 09, 2016
How To know the fertility of your land using physical parameters

A lot of people want to invest in plantain farming but get it wrong based on the type of soil on their land. Many thinks you just need to get your land, buy planting materials and then plant the suckers. No, this a very big mistake as your plantain may suffer from nutrient deficiency if you can not determine the fertility of your soil.

In order to determine the fertility of your soil without lab analysis ( i mention this because it will be helpful when buying land for farming), there are factors to consider:
soil colour: The top soil must be dark. This signifies a high amount of humus and this is where the largest percentage of soil nutrient resides. care must also be taken not to remove this top soil during land preparation.
Soil WHO (water holding capacity): it is important to know that your soil must hold enough water for your plantain to absorb after each rainfall or irrigation. the best soil that hold enough water for plantain is loamy soil and it can be identified by the presence of small small ants building houses, a kind of house that looks like a small rod and its dark in colour. It is important for you to note that sandy soil will not work for plantain though the combination of both sandy soil and loamy soil can be on your land but loam must have a higher percentage.
Weeds colour: This is a major sign to know if the land is eluded with enough nitrogen. If the weed colour is light green, then it signifies low amount of nitrogen or slow release of nitrogen. slow release can occur because of inhibiting factors.
weeds growth during rainy season: if weeds that have fast growth could not grow fast during the rainy season, its a sign that your land is not fertile enough or presence of inhibiting factors.
My candid advice is this: If you plan buying a land for plantain plantation, pls make sure that the land is fertile or else you will have to provide fertilizer for your plantain.
Bye for now.....see you in next class.
Thanks for reading
You can read more at www.farmlifeng.com
Re: Information Needed Before You Start Your Plantain Farm by francos01(m): 10:43am On May 09, 2016
Boss, u are really helping my career with these information. thanks, looking forward for more

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Non GMO Corn Or Native Corn? / Farm Land For Lease In Epe / Turkey,broilers And Noiler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.