Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,293 members, 7,850,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:16 PM

Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others (977 Views)

SERAP Sues FG & Fashola Over Inability To Share Free Pre-paid Metre To Nigerians / Mohammed Abacha Fights To Reclaim $1.3bn Oil Bloc, Sues FG, Shell, Agip / FOI:SERAP Sues Saraki,dogara Over Failure To Give Account Of N500bn Running Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by maupe: 8:14am On May 05, 2016
The Registered Trustees of the Socio-Economic
Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) have
dragged the Federal Government to the ECOWAS
Community Court of Justice in Abuja over “failure
to prevent, account for and investigate killings,
raping, maiming of Nigerians and other residents,
and destruction of property across the country by
herdsmen, the military and police.”
In the suit No ECW/CCJ/APP/15/16 and filed
yesterday by Solicitor to SERAP, Femi Falana SAN,
the Plaintiff contends “that the continuing
attacks, killings, raping, maiming of Nigerians and
other residents, and destruction of property by
the military, police, herdsmen and other unknown
perpetrators across the country amount to
serious violations of human rights of the rights to
life, to the security and dignity of the human
person, and to property.”
The suit reads in part: “The Plaintiff contends that
the Defendant is responsible for these human
rights violations and abuses by the military,
police, herdsmen and other unknown
perpetrators which have not been adequately
prevented, investigated or prosecuted by the
authorities. These responsibilities are heightened
when an observable pattern has been overlooked
or ignored, such as is the case in this suit.”
“The Plaintiff also contends that the obligation to
secure the right to life is not confined to cases
where it has been established that the killings
were caused by an agent of the State. Nor is it
decisive whether those affected or their families
have lodged a formal complaint about the killings
with the competent investigatory authority.”
“It is contended that the mere knowledge of the
killings by the military, police, herdsmen and
other unknown perpetrators on the part of the
authorities have ipso facto given rise to an
obligation under Article 4 of the African Charter
on Human and Peoples’ Rights to carry out an
effective investigation into the circumstances
surrounding the killings and to identify the
perpetrators and bring them to justice, and to
provide reparations to victims.”
“Moreover, the Defendant has a responsibility for
those killings, raping maiming and destruction of
property where authorities knew or ought to have
known of an immediate threat and failed to take
measures that might have been expected to
avoid those attacks and killings.”
“The Plaintiff further contends that the Defendant
has positive obligations to provide a framework of
security for the protection of life, and to protect
the lives of those individuals at risk from unlawful
attacks by the military, police, herdsmen and
other unknown perpetrators. The lack of
accountability for the attacks by the military,
perpetrators across the country has continued to
create a culture of impunity which clearly is not
compatible with the rule of law in a democratic
society.”
“The Plaintiff contends that the Defendant has a
positive obligation to take measures to secure the
right to life, right to security and dignity of the
human person and right to property, and to
prevent attacks and killings by the military,
perpetrators across Nigeria.”
“Human life has a special value and dignity which
requires legal protection. It should be pointed out
that those affected in the present case include
the most disadvantaged and vulnerable sectors of
society.”
“By interpreting the African Charter on Human
and Peoples’ Rights so as to impose on the
Defendant obligations to prevent, account for and
investigate killings, raping, maiming of Nigerians
and other residents and destruction of property,
whether or not the Defendant is directly or
indirectly responsible, the ECOWAS Court of
Justice will be demanding from the Nigerian
government a commitment to securing these
rights and to the reform of the very structure and
modus operandi of its legal institutions. In so
doing, the ECOWAS Court will help to address the
systemic factors contributing to the attacks by
perpetrators.”
“A fundamental notion of contemporary human
rights law is that victims of violations enjoy an
independent right to effective remedies. This idea
is itself founded on another longstanding legal
principle: ubi ius ibi remedium (there is no right
without a remedy).”
SERAP therefore is asking the ECOWAS Court of
Justice for the following reliefs:
A DECLARATION that the attacks, killings, raping
and maiming of citizens and other residents and
destruction of property and other serious human
rights violations and abuses across the country by
perpetrators amount to failure by the Defendant
to exercise due diligence to prevent the attacks
and killings and cannot be justified under any
circumstances, and therefore constitutes a
serious breach of Nigeria’s international human
rights obligations and commitments to ensure
and secure the rights to life, to dignity and
security of the human person, and to property,
guaranteed under the African Charter on Human
and Peoples’ Rights, and the UN International
Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which
Nigeria is a state party;
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/breaking-serap-sues-fg-over-killings-by-herdsmen-others/
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by Young03(m): 8:19am On May 05, 2016
that's nonsense
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by omenka(m): 8:20am On May 05, 2016
Their right to do so.

There's no gainsaying the FG is doing all within it's power to address the situation. The maze of this situation is as intricate as can't be cautious enough when addressing it, lest it turns a disaster into a catastrophe.

Unlike what we have in the NE, there are no clear cut battle lines or strongholds in this care, therefore a radically different approach is needed to succeed so innocent bystanders don't unnecessarily fall victims to a state sanctioned operation- even though we know collateral damage is part and parcel of all such actions. Keeping them at their barest minimum must be a priority.

It is well with Nigeria.

Ps: I know some notoriously dull posters would weep some more and curse all day on seeing this. cheesy
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by iflywithbuhari(f): 8:20am On May 05, 2016
Good one Sue their A**. Sue them till they become an ATM machine. Sue their lyin, nomadic, Usman danfodite, jihadist AS*
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by iflywithbuhari(f): 8:23am On May 05, 2016
omenka:
Their right to do so.
You are here. Have you heard the latest. The Fulani's have come out to confess that they are responsible for the killings, but did so out of " SELFDEFENCE". Too bad, they came out to rubbish your piece of garbage you put down to salvage their reputation. They don't even want you.

5 Likes

Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by omenka(m): 8:29am On May 05, 2016
Every idiotic comments by overly emotional wrecks shall be ignored as always. wink
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by jlinkd78(m): 8:29am On May 05, 2016
k
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 8:31am On May 05, 2016
omenka:
[s]Their right to do so.

There's no gainsaying the FG is doing all within it's power to address the situation. The maze of this situation is as intricate as can't be cautious enough when addressing it, lest it turns a disaster into a catastrophe.

Unlike what we have in the NE, there are no clear cut battle lines or strongholds in this care, therefore a radically different approach is needed to succeed so innocent bystanders don't unnecessarily fall victims to a state sanctioned operation- even though we know collateral damage is part and parcel of all such actions. Keeping them at their barest minimum must be a priority.

It is well with Nigeria.[/s]
I thought SERAP are ipods. grin

Come down to this thread and defend your Fulani marauding brothers. https://www.nairaland.com/3086841/herdsmen-kill-self-defence-says-miyetti

2 Likes

Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by omenka(m): 8:36am On May 05, 2016
SeverusSnape:

I thought SERAP are ipods. grin

Come down to this thread and defend your Fulani marauding brothers. https://www.nairaland.com/3086841/herdsmen-kill-self-defence-says-miyetti
You should go back to the thread to see that after yall begged me with sixteen mentions even when there were just ony about 40 comments (shocked ), I decided to respond.

Never seen this type of obsession honestly. cheesy

One day, you people would be like "guys, let's ignore Omenka, we are making him feel too important", the next day, the only thing on your mind from the moment you wake is "Omenka". Imagine wailing over Omenka as early as 4am!!

Make una no kill unaselves ontop my matter oo. wink
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 8:42am On May 05, 2016
omenka:
You should go back to the thread to see that after yall begged me with sixteen mentions even when there were just ony about 40 comments (cheesy ), I decided to respond. grin

Never seen this type of obsession honestly. cheesy

Make una no kill unaselves ontop my matter oo. wink

Obsession my ass. Are you Frank Sinatra or Enya that I should obsess about?...

"The worst thing for someone to be obsessed with is a defender of killer herdsmen" - Winston Churchill, 1944. cool
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by omenka(m): 8:48am On May 05, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Obsession my ass. Are you Frank Sinatra or Enya that I should obsess about?...

"The worst thing for someone to be obsessed with is a defender of killer herdsmen" - Winston Churchill, 1944. cool
You my friend, is one of the most obsessed and you know it! grin

You know all you used to do was insult me on every thread. When I told you you will always be ignored and saw how much you were ignored, you decided, "oh well, technique seems counterproductive- perhaps I should apply a little decorum and see if he pays attention to me." Then you got rid of the insults and started getting a little attention from three or two days ago- and ooooh, you couldn't be more thrilled!! cheesy

Continue along that trajectory and you might end up with a well deserved autograph for your unparalleled loyalty. wink
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by iflywithbuhari(f): 9:15am On May 05, 2016
omenka:

You know all you used to do was insult me on every thread. When I told you you will always be ignored and saw how much you were ignored, you decided, "oh well, technique seems counterproductive- perhaps I should apply a little decorum and see if he pays attention to me." Then you got rid of the insults and started getting a little attention from three or two days ago- and ooooh, you couldn't be more thrilled!! cheesy

Continue along that trajectory and you might end up with a well deserved autograph for your unparalleled loyalty. wink
See self denial and brainwashing at its peak.
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by TheNonce: 9:22am On May 05, 2016
shocked

Chimo, Choi, chai!
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 9:50am On May 05, 2016
omenka:

God!!!... What are you saying??
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by bros12345: 10:25am On May 05, 2016
Did I just see Femi Falana's name there?
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by selfdefence: 12:52am On May 17, 2016
iflywithbuhari:

You are here. Have you heard the latest. The Fulani's have come out to confess that they are responsible for the killings, but did so out of " SELFDEFENCE". Too bad, they came out to rubbish your piece of garbage you put down to salvage their reputation. They don't even want you.

Why are you calling my nME
Re: Breaking : SERAP Sues FG Over Killings By Herdsmen, Others by Alanzazani: 3:24am On May 17, 2016
Omenka so you can mutter some gibberish without throwing insults? That's interesting. To the topic I think the good people of Benue should form vigilantes to defend themselves. They cant keep calling on the FG to come to thier aid. The fulanis have already told you guys why they murder you. I think the state government and people are not even giving these atrocities enough publicity just like what was happening in plateau state. Take a cue from Enugu and attacks in the south west as them carry the matter for head. Fulanis know say those areas na bad market

(1) (Reply)

Igbo And Yoruba Youths Joins To Build A World Class Car / No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers / Pioneer This Youth Movement, Save The Future Toda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.