Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,264 members, 7,853,302 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 02:02 PM

Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. (569 Views)

"Illuminati Agent" Offers Don Jazzy $1million If He Joins / Comedian Chief Obi And His $1million VomozFlex Endorsement Deal (Pictures) / Tonto Dikeh Flees With Son, Husband’s Properties Document Worth $1million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by Undisputed88(m): 11:19am On May 05, 2016
Finally, Justice was served for an African American man, "Ricky Jackson" who spent nearly 40 long years of his life , locked up behind bars for a crime he did not commit in the US State of Ohio. Furthermore, , An Ohio Court of Claims judge on Thursday, ordered that just more than $1 million be paid to Ricky Jackson in compensation for the time which he spent in jail.

In an telephone interview granted by the victim to a reporter who had called him on Thursday afternoon to get his reaction over the court order, Ricky Jackson spoke about learning from the reporter about the compensation package awarded to him

"Wow, I didn't know that," Jackson said. "Wow wow wow, that's fantastic, man. I don't even know what to say. This is going to mean so much."
According to the Victim's attorney, Michele Berry, who became emotional after hearing the news of the court order, he said a financial advisor will help Jackson to handle the money in the wisest way possible.

Berry became emotional and expressed her appreciation for all that the innocent black man went through.
"It's been an honor to work for and with Ricky," she said. "He's probably the wisest person I've ever met."
In November, Jackson, 57, and Wiley Bridgeman, 60, were both exonerated in a 1975 murder after a key witness against them, who was 13 years old at the time, admitted in 2013 that he lied during his testimony.
Eddie Vernon, now 53, told a minister who visited him at a hospital in 2013 that he had never actually witnessed the crime. He said Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the men killed businessman Harry Franks on May 19, 1975.

The Ohio Innocence Project, which took up this case, said Jackson and Bridgeman’s 39 years imprisonment mark them as the longest-serving exonnerees in American history.
According to a study released in April, one in every 25 death row inmates in the United States is innocent. Approximately 3,000 US prisoners are currently on death row, waiting to be put to executed.

It's a well known fact that African- Americans are also far more likely to be arrested and imprisoned by police than any other racial group, according to a recent survey carried out by USA TODAY.
Experts say the dramatic gap in arrest and prison rates reflects biased policing as well as the vast economic and educational inequalities that plague much of the US.
No matter how long it takes,The TRUTH Shall always prevail.
See More Photos below:
Source:http://www.gossipmirrors.com/2016/05/innocent-african-american-man-to-get1.html

Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by Nobody: 11:23am On May 05, 2016
hmmm nawa oo
Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by ChristineC: 11:38am On May 05, 2016
Wow where does an old man start from? All the cash in the world cannot roll back the years but at least he can have an ok future, get married and have a kid or two to leave the inheritance with.
Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by MRBrownJ: 1:54pm On May 05, 2016
when men wrongly jailed for 20yrs get $8m compensation each, this one got 40yrs of his life "robbed" and got a mere $1m, what a joke!

sadly, in the US, it all comes down to the laws of the state where you are convicted, and the compensation statues they have for the wrongfully convicted. some states say you are owed nothing, other states would say $50/100k for each yr, while others would depend on each case/circumstances... but the main point is that, if the man pleaded guilty or confessed to a crime they did not commit, then its considered THEIR fault (even if the confession was beaten/tortured out of them)!

IMHO, no amount is enough to repay all the lost years while behind bars.
Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by halfricanadian(f): 1:58pm On May 05, 2016
If im d one i will never collect it

angry its not pride but self worth
Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by MRBrownJ: 2:10pm On May 05, 2016
halfricanadian:
If im d one i will never collect it

angry its not pride but self worth

sista, that self worth would get you nowhere. how would you survive or start over without a dime? this man has no clue or barring as to how things are done today.... he is probably clueless about computers, the internet, mobile phones and/or whatever was created after 1975. its a different time, different world for him and it will take time. 40yrs is no joke and, however "tiny" that settlement is, it will help him a great deal to start over.
Re: Afro-american Man Awarded $1million Compensation After Spending 40yrs In Jail. by halfricanadian(f): 2:11pm On May 05, 2016
MRBrownJ:

sista, that self worth would get you nowhere. how would you survive or start over without a dime? this man has no clue or barring as to how things are done today.... he is probably clueless about computers, the internet, mobile phones and/or whatever was created after 1975. its a different time, different world for him and it will take time. 40yrs is no joke and, however "tiny" that settlement is, it will help him a great deal to start over.

I spoke on my behalf not on his behalf

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

#trendrefiner / I'm Done Taking Pictures With Fans ,justin Bieber And T.i Lashes Out / Throwback Picture Of Tonto Dikeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.