Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,899 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:31 AM

Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial (1314 Views)

DHTML, Or Perhaps Other Developers, I Need You. / :: Dhtml Framework Evolution / My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 12, 2009
Now, that is my question, as in, i am doing a research on the best way to go about this.
I am ehm very much a newbie in joomla for now, and i will be the one asking questions.
By the way, anyone is free to ask questions, and anyone is free to reply.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 12, 2009
Since i am a developer, i love creating things. Until now, all i have done in joomla has been to download stuffs, and use them for test samples.
Though i hav been able to build a custom module, i want to learn more on how to create plugins and stuffs. . . .that is the dhtml aspect of
joomla. . .or so i immagine. . .at least according to http://docs.joomla.org/Developers
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by yawatide(f): 10:56am On Aug 12, 2009
If I understand what you mean, just:

1) open the index.php of the template in question
2) add the necessary calls to the jquery.js and any other related files
3) add the file names to the template.xml file
4) Start coding, within the index.php, not within the admin panel.

From experience, if you don't see your changes right away, you might have to reinstall Joomla! with the updated template.xml file. In other words, sometimes, merely adding your new files to the template.xml and saving it doesn't always guarantee that it will work.

Good luck!
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by quadrillio(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2009
what really prompted me to start designing my own module was when I searched and couldn't find d one that does exactly what I want

am still workin on it, and it still in it's early stage

will give it to d house when am tru, but so far it's been very interesting and challenging.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 12, 2009
I am still very green here, but i am trying sha. Exactly qadrillo, it is sometimes hard to get
precisely what you need, if you can build it, then why not? afteral joomla is making use
architectures that i am very familiar with like jquey, xhtml, php5 oop. . .i want to test things
first before starting to write my own modules, which i need ASAP!
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2009
Hurray, i just created my first component, now i am feeling like obama. Next, i want to create a custom component, no matter how simple
before i move on to creating plugins. I even read a very good tutorial yesterday for creating custom css based layouts, but i have not tried
that yet. So many things to learn and do, yet, so little time. I figure out that if i learn how to create these components and stuffs, it will
reduce manual overrides which i have been avoiding till i become a joomla pro. But i can manipulate css layouts sha.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 4:55am On Aug 13, 2009
Well, after several days of work, i can now build my own customized components, plugins, modules. Can access joom dbase.
Next, i need to learn properly now, how to build my own customized template, the one i did before was ojoro-to-the-answer.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 13, 2009
@yawatide, that initial project i told you about, i have been able to execute it properly with joomla. I just modified the
module's template database to check if the user is registered. . . using the code snippet below:

<?php
//check for validity
$user =& JFactory::getUser();
        if ($user->guest) {
        } else {
//find out if this person has paid
$uid=$user->id;

$db =& JFactory::getDBO();
$query = "
  ";
$db->setQuery($query);
$status = $db->loadResult();

//make link redirect to enter scratch card
if(. . . . . .) {
}

};

?>

So with that, i could tell if a user is logged in or in guest mode, if in logged in mode, i just check the database to see if
the person has paid. . . . . . . .then i was able to modify one of the modules on the home page to display my own
dhtml written payment page inside a template of another module if the user has not paid, which will handle the payments
i have in mind. . . . .
So now, i have been able to write joomla components, modules, templates, plugins at least on a basic level, and i can access
some basic joomla objects like user data, database, JSession . . . with more ease. . . maybe i should start. . . .

But seriously, i find joomla very nice. I even used that my vQuery stuff inside this project, with animation effects on some other
stuffs. . .if i can master this joomla well, it will reduce my dhtml coding, and make my work cleaner, faster and more efficient
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by yawatide(f): 10:59am On Aug 13, 2009
Seems like you have over-complicated things but alas, you are doing it to learn so no yawa. At least you have beaten me in something, something I don't intend to do grin

Good job. Just keep your phone handy in case I call. Good job!
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 13, 2009
At least, i got the job done. Today happened to be the dead line for that stunt i pulled there.
Now i want to practice creating CSS based joomla layout development, here i go. . . . . .
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by quadrillio(m): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2009
@DHTML

don't call yourself a green horn, na until u build ur own joomla b4 u go gree say u sabi.

Nice one sha, at least I have someone to call if my module dey prove stubborn.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 13, 2009
There are still loads of gaps in my joomla skills. I am trying to avoid overriding all the way. Lemme learn to do
things normally first (that sucks a little). I am still struggling to build my own templates properly, i can modify
already existing ones, but it is kinda difficult sometimes to even do that. After that, i want to learn how to build
my own customized menubar, in case i decide to do it myself. I am still green until i can do things properly.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 14, 2009
I can now build my own customized template, 80% exactly the way i want it. After learning lots of joomla jargons like jdoc, JDocument, JRequest,
JSession and so many other stuffs. Next most important thing now, is for me to do more work in creating my components the way i like it
and also to create a good menubar as well. I usually start frontend development from Fireworks, then convert it into css templates. And i want to
get the full design exactly the way I/my frontend developer did the initial template into joomla.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 15, 2009
Now, i find template building the easiest task in joomla. Once i design the template with css based layouts, then i split it up into modules and a
component. First, i divide the various parts into header, footer, menu (i can build my custom menubar now the way i like).
Then i create the template, upload it into joomla and use the appropriate <jdoc:include type="modules" name="top" /> to load the various
module positions, and then <jdoc:include type="component" /> to load the component requested. Then, i set the newly created modules
to their equivalent position in the original css template. And then i get 100% of precisely what i designed originally with pure html and css.
Plus the added functionality of joomla being able to change module positions and other stuffs like this.

By now, i can now use the core objects of the joomla framework fluently, like JSession, JDatabase and others. So i can determine if i am on
the home page, to know if i wish to show breadcrumbs or not. I can tell programmatically if a user is logged in or not. . . . . . .

And most importantly, i can make use of my full web developer skills, both coding and logic to extend the functionalities of joomla in case i
cannot get precisely what i want. By now, to modify the codes of existing templates is now very very simple.

Next, i want to practise more with plugin development. And then revamp my biz site mwebng.net with joomla to add more functionality and feedback
systems. And of course, i will design my other new site dhtmlexreme.com with joomla + dhtml = i am curious to see the results

Meanwhile, i will appreciate questions in joomla, let's see how good i am yet. So far, i have been the one rating myself
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 19, 2009
and the result of joomla + dhtml test = www..com
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by yawatide(f): 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2009
Pretty good. if you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have known it was joomla. I like it when you look at a site that uses CMS and you can't tell it is one unless you are told cheesy
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
The other gurus i called for review said the same thing too. And funny, i wrote total of less than 20 lines of codes. but i did alot of tweaking.
And that my template too has some plugin and module functions embedded in it, giving some un-joomla behaviours. Thanks.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by joomlaguru: 11:21am On Aug 19, 2011
@ *dhtml,

Please help figure out the issue with this code.

<?php foreach($rexzs as $rexz){
$i++;
$rexzs=explode("|",$rexz);
$database->setQuery("SELECT * FROM `jos_bookman_extras` WHERE `id`=".$rexzz[0]);
$exts=$database->loadObjectList();
echo "<tr><td align='center'>";
foreach($exts as $ext){
echo $ext->name;
} echo "<input type='hidden' value='".$ext->name."' name='ext_name".$i."' /></td><td align='center'>";
if($rexzs[1]==1)echo "Daily";else echo "One Time";
echo "<input type='hidden' value='".$rexzs[1]."' name='chargetype".$i."' /></td><td align='center'>";
echo "<select name='quantity".$i."'>";
for($j=0;$j<=$rexzs[3];$j++){
echo "<option ";
if($_POST['quantity'.$i]==$j)echo "selected";
echo " value='".$j."'>0".$j."</option>";
}
echo "</select>";
echo "</td><td align='center'>";
if($rexzs[1]==1){
echo "<select name='days".$i."'>";
for($j=0;$j<=$days;$j++){
echo "<option ";
if($_POST['days'.$i]==$j)echo "selected";
echo " value='".$j."'>0".$j."</option>";
} echo "</select>";
}else echo "<input type='hidden' value='' name='days".$i."' />";
echo "</td><td align='center'> $ ".$rexzs[2];
echo "</td><td align='center'> $ ";
if(!empty($_POST['quantity'.$i])) {
if($_POST['days'.$i]=='') echo ($_POST['quantity'.$i]*$rexzs[2]);
else echo ($_POST['days'.$i]*$_POST['quantity'.$i]*$rexzs[2]);
$total_ext+=$_POST['days'.$i]*$_POST['quantity'.$i]*$rexzs[2];
} else echo "0";
echo "<input type='hidden' name='cost".$i."' value='".$rexzs[2]."' />";
echo "</td></tr>"
}
?>

thank you in anticipation.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 19, 2011
Hmmm, for this kinda code, i am not sure of where to start looking. What errors are you getting? This is segment of a code,
are you getting a syntax error, or a logical error or parse error?
Try describe what you are trying to do and what the problem is - more precisely
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by joomlaguru: 5:32pm On Aug 19, 2011
This is the url of the site: http://www.sunshineorlandorentals.com/ i am booking on the site then when submitted it should bring a page where all the information i have filled is display then i can make modification on the page as well. Bu instead it gives me a blank page.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by joomlaguru: 5:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2011
Hmm, blank page could mean a lot of things. You may need to use die at several points to know the point that the error occured.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by joomlaguru: 7:04pm On Aug 19, 2011
i am sorry to ask the question but what do you mean by die?
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 19, 2011
<?php

$result=mysql_query("select * from olodo;"wink or die(mysql_error());

//if the query results false, the program execution stops and displays the error message
?>

You can lookup the PHP statement called die on google or on php manual.
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2011
The link works well, but i think the issue might be the fact that it really dumps loads of information from the database took quite a while to display its a possibility that it could have exceeded the maximum execution time and also i think you shud paginate the result use JPaginate its that easy to use.DHTML baba i dey quit my job next week so i'll get to you soon. gracias grin
Re: Using Joomla With Dhtml Tutorial by WebSurfer(m): 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
losttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

(1) (Reply)

I Need Guide For Multilink Datacard Internet Configuration On My Laptop / SEO Question And Answer! / Vacancy: Paid Moderators Needed On My Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.