Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists (3372 Views)

The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along / Girl Gets Raped Second Time After Police Use Her To Try To Catch Her Rapist / Police Use Live Bullets To Disperse Protesting Youths In Kaduna. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Libra38: 9:51am On Aug 12, 2009
I came across the topic on the DAILY TRIUMPH NEWSPAPER this morning.

Traffic Police use Koboko to control motorists

Determined to effect compliance of traffic regulations in Kaduna, some traffic police officers have resorted to the use of `Koboko' or horse whips, to enforce traffic regulations.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some of the traffic police officers were using the whips to compel obedience of traffic regulations.

Some traffic officers at Kano Road by Lagos Road Junction, whipped some recalcitrant motorists.

Some of the road users said the koboko initiative was paying off as motorists had started to fall in line.

Mr Anthony Adum, a private vehicle owner said: `` This koboko thing has helped. Now these `Okada' boys and the bus drivers have started behaving themselves.''

Adum testified to the public lashing of a notorious driver who tried to ``pull a fast one on the officers''.

At the Command Juction, some traffic police were sighted using koboko to control motorists.

An Army officer, who preferred anonymity, lamented the reckless manner the commercial drivers and the ``young boys on holidays'' drove on the road.

``In fact, we advise the traffic police to make the use of koboko a standard practice to deter reckless driving,'' he said.

However, some of the drivers and the commercial motor-cyclists said they were opposed to the use of koboko on them.

I wonder how on earth at this civilized era a koboko (whips) or whatsoever should be used to control human beings, I thought it was meant for animals.

Fellow Nairalanders please correct me if 'am wrong.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Libra38: 10:00am On Aug 12, 2009
For those of us who can't access the site, the storry goes like this:

[ Traffic Police use Koboko to control motorists
Determined to effect compliance of traffic regulations in Kaduna, some traffic police officers have resorted to the use of `Koboko' or horse whips, to enforce traffic regulations.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some of the traffic police officers were using the whips to compel obedience of traffic regulations.
Some traffic officers at Kano Road by Lagos Road Junction, whipped some recalcitrant motorists.
Some of the road users said the koboko initiative was paying off as motorists had started to fall in line.
Mr Anthony Adum, a private vehicle owner said: `` This koboko thing has helped. Now these `Okada' boys and the bus drivers have started behaving themselves.''
Adum testified to the public lashing of a notorious driver who tried to ``pull a fast one on the officers''.
At the Command Juction, some traffic police were sighted using koboko to control motorists.
An Army officer, who preferred anonymity, lamented the reckless manner the commercial drivers and the ``young boys on holidays'' drove on the road.
``In fact, we advise the traffic police to make the use of koboko a standard practice to deter reckless driving,'' he said.
However, some of the drivers and the commercial motor-cyclists said they were opposed to the use of koboko on them.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by IFELEKE(m): 4:18pm On Aug 12, 2009
@Topic
It's a welcome development at least, that will end their use of gun in carrying out the subject matter.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by manuel(m): 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2009
nigerians just lack discipline and respect for the law. laws are broken with impunity. koboko lashin is ridiculous and against an individual's human rights, but it seems like dats wat wud make nigerian motorists bhave, so make Koboko man carry go. cool
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by MrCrackles(m): 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2009
Libra38:

I wonder how on earth at this civilized era a koboko (whips) or whatsoever should be used to controll human beign, [b]I thought it was meant for animals.[/b]Fellow Nairalanders please correct me if 'am wrong

What you dont understand is that some Nigerians are animals! cheesy
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by erico2k2(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2009
thats the only language some people understand,\at least if you wanna avoid the koboko, behave right abi oh
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Libra38: 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2009
@MrCrackles

manuel:

I cant laugh oooh~! lmao
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Libra38: 1:00pm On Aug 13, 2009
@MrCrackles

[/What you dont understand is that some Nigerians are animals!]

I cant laugh oooh~! lmao
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by RichDad1(m): 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2009
I bet Lagos Okada and danfo drivers need this type of Kobokolism.especially in VI
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by reelslim: 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2009
our police are just unreasonable how can a police control her citizen wit shycritic ? are we animals in these part of the world?someone should talk to the police or better still take them to the home insane
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by reelslim: 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2009
our police are just being unreasonable how can a police control her citizen wit koboko? are we animals in these part of the world?someone should talk to the police or better still take them to the home of the insane
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by donugapi(m): 2:15pm On Aug 13, 2009
reelslim:

our police are just being unreasonable how can a police control her citizen wit koboko? are we animals in these part of the world?someone should talk to the police or better still take them to the home of the insane

From all indications, you seem like someone who's spent too much time outside Nigeria or you don't live or work in Lagos. I would happily welcome this to be done in Lagos. You ask if we're animals, we're not but most of us behave like we are and I guess some of the people really are cos as someone said earlier, its working. I would actually support building a huge prison facility where people who misbehave get taken to. When they spend 5 weeks and suffer small when they come back out, they'll think twice before doing any rubbish again. Agbero, danfo, area boys, and even some so-called respectable citizens wouldn't be spared. If after going through all that and someone doesn't change, then they should be sentenced to a longer, tougher spell in d prison, After a few months, you'll see the changes in people, The only way to create sanity in nigeria as per traffic wise is to instill fear into the people and after a while, it becomes a way of life
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by azeeza(f): 2:21pm On Aug 13, 2009
if okada or danfo conductor or driver embarrass u,na den u go thank god 4 d development.make police flog dem koboko 4 all i care grin
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Aug 13, 2009
Is this kobokoism Limited to ONLY Kaduna motorists or the whole 9ja?
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Macgreat(m): 3:07pm On Aug 13, 2009
IFELEKE:

@Topic
It's a welcome development at least, that will end their use of gun in carrying out the subject matter.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by MrCrackles(m): 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2009
ifyalways:

Is this kobokoism Limited to ONLY Kaduna motorists or the whole 9ja?

You are not exempted! grin
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Nezan(m): 4:02pm On Aug 13, 2009
koboko- boko,,,,,,,,HARAM grin
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Izunwa(m): 4:36pm On Aug 13, 2009
For me, this KOBOKOLISM is a welcome development in 9ja. Believe me, I know a traffic man in Aba who flog pple @ PH road Aba, anytime he is there no demon in the world can make any motorist to mess up. Its better than using guns. The only frightening thing is d BOKO in KOBOKO, it reminds me of BOKO-HARAM.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2009
if we were not animals, why do we allow them to use it. we naturally like confusion and breaking of laws. its part of our genes. its only animals that do not understand the rule of law and so they get beaten. why can't we obey the laws and avoid the whip. we nigerians naturally don't obey laws until we get a beating. so what does that say of us.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Meyour: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2009
well sha, there notin new on earth, it is a sign of rebranding Nigeria. so let those who is being affected to take t the lastest police rebranding world.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by mrperfect(m): 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
Koboko should not be use on humanbein.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by slimJesus: 5:15pm On Aug 13, 2009
In short , we dont have good Government becos i dont know why a normal human being should use horse whips on his fellow human being , the so called police self are animals.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by MrCrackles(m): 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
mrperfect:

Koboko should not be use on humanbeings.

Do you think all Nigerians are human beings?
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Oluschenco(m): 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2009
Its good for the Danfo drivers and molue's not we?
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by princekevo(m): 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
Lol, Some Nigerian driver are not better than animals,
Sometimes they need that to bring them back to their human senses,
When a man behaves like an animal you best treat him like one
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by bawomolo(m): 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2009
princekevo:

Lol, Some Nigerian driver are not better than animals,
Sometimes they need that to bring them back to their human senses,
When a man behaves like an animal you best treat him like one

civilized countries use methods like fines, revoking licenses or jail terms but what can i say. Nigeria is country where barbarians rule barbarians.
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Fhemmmy: 7:01pm On Aug 13, 2009
i once saw one police man telling a grown up man to be jumping up and down.
They just treat human like animal for Nija
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
See how much we respect ourselves ooOO!!! kai!!!
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by adaku123(f): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2009
I personally think its a funnny but good idea, I met some bus drivers when i was in lagos, i could have sworn they were animals!!!!, God forgive me

Some nigerians really deserve it sha. But sadly this power will be abused and used to terrorize poor ppl especially,
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by bawomolo(m): 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2009
it's not a good idea if you believe in humane treatment
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by blacksta(m): 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2009
Nigerians are generally stubborn and unruly especially when it comes to driving, If the kobokonism is going to solve the problem then why not . A school of thougth would argue " I rather be whipped by koboko than be killed by stray bullet"
Re: Traffic Police Use Koboko (Whips) To Control Motorists by Redman44(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2009
It is not a new thing, Nairalanders. Idiagbon's boys disgraced unruly Nigerians and motorists in public by flogging them with horse-whips. No traffic offender was spared, no matter how important you were. My dad told me of those Military Policemen with Red Berets. They feared no one and Brigadier Tunde Idiagbon [ God bless his soul ] unleashed them on the country to enforce discipline. Those were the days when Armed Robbers were very careful when they went out on their operations cheesy cheesy Idiagbon and Buhari [ Idiagbon was the de-facto President of Nigeria ] formed this elite squad of Policemen called '' Kill and Go''. This special force of cops took the battle to the criminals and armed robbers in their dens and hide-outs. My uncle was a member of the this solid force of hardened Policemen.

If the whipping of erring motorists will stop the carnage and madness on our roads, I support the koboko wielding traffic cops. Besides, Lagos needs this kind of measure to tackle the crazy motorists in the state. Cheers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sheep Allegedly Gives Birth To Half Human In Sokoto (photo) / Nigeria’s War Over Biafra (british Involvement) By Mark Curtis / Fashola Commissions Carter Bridge Lighting Project. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.