Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity (27365 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / The Pest Behind Tomato Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ademat7(m): 6:28pm On May 06, 2016
innovation they say is the mother of invention,two topics have grace the FP we all share problems but solution hence I wish we could hv a shift of paradigm, without much ado let's get to Biz
1. leaders of pepper and tomato sellers association be summoned by national assembly
2. is north the only source of this product? if No let our land borders b open;Togo,Benin, et al will cushion the scarcity effect
3.let our security men stop collecting "kickback" from market women

more ideas are welcome...

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Jaonnyster: 6:42pm On May 06, 2016
I am fully in support of this .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by diagro: 7:43pm On May 06, 2016
Let the trespass laws be fully enforced against the nomads who destroy crops & scare millions of crop farmers away from their farms. Otherwise, we'd be having d scarcity of not only tomatoes but other food items soon. It's urgent. Call ur senators, reps & governors & tell them this personally.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Pavore9: 8:14pm On May 06, 2016
Personally l see no need in them being summoned by the national assembly for a talk show rather their capacity on post-harvest preservation should be worked on. We need not import from neighbouring countries because we can easily be self-sufficient.

Their is a huge disconnect between the harvest in farms and our dining tables. For those who have worked the land in the rural areas can attest to wastages that is the lot of most rural farmers. There are crops some farmers don't even bother to harvest because the pricing in their local markets is not motivating enough.

Many village markets l have visited always do have heaps of unsold farm produce being left to rot away, that is why goats roaming there are always looking fresh. Whereas a simple innovation that does not require electricity can extend the life of those produce for an extra week or two.

Why can we not have mangoes all year round when the imported apples are always available? Apples that have been harvested months before it finally arrives Nigeria.

Knowledge is lacking!

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ademat7(m): 12:40pm On May 07, 2016
more comment..MOD pls move the topic to permanent site
Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by divineappo(m): 1:53pm On May 07, 2016
Ademat7:
innovation they say is the mother of invention,two topics have grace the FP we all share problems but solution hence I wish we could hv a shift of paradigm, without much ado let's get to Biz
1. leaders of pepper and tomato sellers association be summoned by national assembly
2. is north the only source of this product? if No let our land borders b open;Togo,Benin, et al will cushion the scarcity effect

cc: seun,lalasticlala,farmtech
my broda, its very obvious u are just seeking attention

The 1st and 2nd solution u suggested are d dumbest ever. They should summon dem to national assembly, funny you! Govt shuld open d borders and publicly declare smuggling as a legal biz, when we are supposed to be self-sufficient in food production. My broda, U are off d hook

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ademat7(m): 2:00pm On May 07, 2016
divineappo:

The 1st and 2nd solution u suggested are d dumbest ever. They should summon dem to national assembly, funny you! Govt shuld open d borders and publicly declare smuggling as a legal biz, when we are supposed to be food sufficient in food production. My broda, U are off d hook
do you understand the meaning of gap?
do u experience the scarcity directly? or you only see soup in plate?
When I say open border, duties will still be paid.
last bullet: who attention don EPP?

10 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by mfm04622: 10:22am On May 09, 2016
Pavore9:
Personally l see no need in them being summoned by the national assembly for a talk show rather their capacity on post-harvest preservation should be worked on. We need not import from neighbouring countries because we can easily be self-sufficient.

Their is a huge disconnect between the harvest in farms and our dining tables. For those who have worked the land in the rural areas can attest to wastages that is the lot of most rural farmers. There are crops some farmers don't even bother to harvest because the pricing in their local markets is not motivating enough.

Many village markets l have visited always do have heaps of unsold farm produce being left to rot away, that is why goats roaming there are always looking fresh. Whereas a simple innovation that does not require electricity can extend the life of those produce for an extra week or two.

Why can we not have mangoes all year round when the imported apples are always available? Apples that have been harvested months before it finally arrives Nigeria.

Knowledge is lacking!

I don't even need to check if you are the writer am reading! Every contribution from you make sense. Am ready to partner with you anything you need a partner for.

12 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ademat7(m): 3:08pm On May 14, 2016
mfm04622:

I don't even need to check if you are the writer am reading! Every contribution from you make sense. Am ready to partner with you anything you need a partner for.
u get his point

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Agriman(m): 3:54pm On May 14, 2016
Farming is interesting

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by zaynie(f): 6:42am On May 15, 2016
Do you even know the reason behind this scarcity?

7 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by great664(m): 10:51am On May 15, 2016
GEJ Agricultural reform where foods was plenty and tomatoes was wasting that prompted Dangote to build a Tomato Processing Plant....

That's what Dullarpo destroyed in a year that Nigerians now import tomatoes for human and grass for cow.....

If you doubt me Google how he was able to curb the corruption without arresting or jailing anybody that Nigeria build pyramid of Rice, Groundnut, Beans and Tomatoes wasted cuz of no facilities to prevent it just like in the 60's and early 70's...

Those in Kano will understand how the groundnut pyramid field was turn to car parks before GEJ Reform......

Just Pray Buhari humble himself and learn some of his ideas mostly on Agriculture issue..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Nobody: 10:52am On May 15, 2016
Provide the enabling environment and see scarcity become a thing of past..electricity, good road, soft loans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Cokenbread: 10:52am On May 15, 2016
I do not know what to write
Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by haywire07(m): 10:52am On May 15, 2016
divineappo:

The 1st and 2nd solution u suggested are d dumbest ever. They should summon dem to national assembly, funny you! Govt shuld open d borders and publicly declare smuggling as a legal biz, when we are supposed to be self-sufficient in food production. My broda, U are off d hook

You hav sense more than the senseless Op

Some posts are purposely pushed to front page by the Mods just ridicule the OP

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by tammie24: 10:53am On May 15, 2016
Everything goes to National Assembly these days

Smh!!!

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Consiglier: 10:53am On May 15, 2016
Pavore9:

Knowledge is lacking!

What is your proposed solution ton the problems?

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Nobody: 10:53am On May 15, 2016
Buy tin tomatoes na...

6 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by SKAMM(m): 10:54am On May 15, 2016
Tin tomatoes dey scarce??

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ibime(m): 10:54am On May 15, 2016
Dangote has bought all the tomatoes in the North for his tin tomato factory.

Tomatoes will not be coming down anytime soon.

6 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by oshe11: 10:55am On May 15, 2016
let Dangote stop buying d available tomatoes n build his own farm to care for its tin tomatoes factory

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by abe4kom: 10:57am On May 15, 2016
Wow, summon the market leaders?

Bros, the scarcity is caused by the Tomato Leaf Miner Moth!
It is hard to control as it is resistant to most pesticides.

The persons to be summoned are the President and Agric Minister who despite the disease being known prior to this time did nothing to mitigate its attack on our farms!

This is more important than importing some useless grass from Brazil.
This one affects our economy and lives directly but what does the Minister do?
He seems lost!

Adesina would have known how to intervene in time to minimise the scourge but right now, we all suffer it while our leaders wonder!

12 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by Ezedon(m): 10:57am On May 15, 2016
Let the Government encourage the farmers
Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by SmithHumble50: 10:58am On May 15, 2016
No. 1 is so absurd.. National Assembly to do what?
It is just a bad season affected by pest...

Last year.. Potatoes were affected.. Dis year was better...

Who will u stop from collecting kickback... Lol

OP nawa 4 u..

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by BiafranAmerican: 10:58am On May 15, 2016
Thought this was a joke.
Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by rawtouch: 10:58am On May 15, 2016
Every household should have a garden for vegetables and tomato and pepper

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by magicminister: 10:59am On May 15, 2016
Can't remember the last time i heard any laudable news coming out of my country.
Even tomato dey scarce!!.
#endtime

7 Likes

Re: Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity by obaino860: 11:00am On May 15, 2016
Ademat7:

tomato scarcity....wahalaaaa,,,our leaders should sit up oh,stomach infrastructure is wat need not to be politicised wit......Nigerians will not smile wit DAT oh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Growing Red Corn With Photos / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Akwa Ibom Begins Onions Cultivation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.