Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,504 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Machine Learning/data Science/analytics - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Machine Learning/data Science/analytics (6935 Views)

Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group / I Need Help On Learning Data Structure / The Future Of Machine Learning In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by DAPMAN601: 9:14pm On May 06, 2016
This thread is for Data scientists and Systems Engineers who are already in this field and want to share ideas,information, help in solving problems,it is also to help people who have jobs to recruit good hands and also,joint projects are allowed . We will be discussing on:

Machine learning(Regression,Svm,knn, neural networks etc.)

Big data (Hadoop,)

Social Network Analytics

Data Analysis and Visualization(Power BI,Tableau, ggplot2,matplotlib etc)

A follow up of this will be on WhatsApp. Please message me on WhatsApp to add you to the follow up group.08132409600.

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by kenysbabe(f): 12:44pm On May 09, 2016
Waoh! Waoh! Waoh! Finally! Data Science is here in Nigeria. This is such a great news! i started a thread on data analysis sometime last year - https://www.nairaland.com/2607995/data-analysis-offer-companies#38147275 and met lots of people who were interested afterwards.

2 Likes

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by YourLeader: 12:50pm On May 09, 2016
Data Analysis and Business Intelligent is actually the way forward, as there is already too much data existing in Nigeria (let alone the world). R programming and Python remains the leading High Level Languages for Big Data Analysis (Not to forgive the Boss Hadoop Ecosystem). Funny how Nigerian Businesses and Company are yet to embrace this field, because there is so much insight in that data laying down just there in your database.

Really no single data is a waste.. Who believed something like "Association Rule" aka "Market Basket Analysis", "Cluster" can be carried out on all shoppers list in a say Spar to determine Associations between what different shoppers are picking in Spar or Shoprite. Now the Business will know what Brand people really love to buy and there focus on that Brand.

Equally "Time Serials Analysis" can be done on this same data to get insights on what time of the Year the Business needs to focus on having a particular kinda of product and when to reduce investment on such products.

In the world of Business Intelligent, one must have to equip one's self with Tableau and Microsoft PowerBI as this two have proven to hold their own in the market share of Business Intelligent.

A lot is going on in the world of Big Data Analysis and is high time Nigerians key into it.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by kenysbabe(f): 1:17pm On May 09, 2016
YourLeader:
Data Analysis and Business Intelligent is actually the way forward, as there is already too much data existing in Nigeria (let alone the world). R programming and Python remains the leading High Level Languages for Big Data Analysis (Not to forgive the Boss Hadoop Ecosystem). Funny how Nigerian Businesses and Company are yet to embrace this field, because there is so much insight in that data laying down just there in your database.

Really no single data is a waste.. Who believed something like "Association Rule" aka "Market Basket Analysis", "Cluster" can be carried out on all shoppers list in a say Spar to determine Associations between what different shoppers are picking in Spar or Shoprite. Now the Business will know what Brand people really love to buy and there focus on that Brand.

Equally "Time Serials Analysis" can be done on this same data to get insights on what time of the Year the Business needs to focus on having a particular kinda of product and when to reduce investment on such products.

In the world of Business Intelligent, one must have to equip one's self with Tableau and Microsoft PowerBI as this two have proven to hold their own in the market share of Business Intelligent.

A lot is going on in the world of Big Data Analysis and is high time Nigerians key into it.

Cheers

You are so so right YourLeader. There are so many things that can be done using data Science. I just built a predictive model for a telemarketing company in SA where their historical datasets were analysed and meaningful recommendations to assist in increasing number of sales of products made.

Also talking with a bank now that have just started their digital banking exercise so we can explore how Data Science will help strengthen risk management in areas such as cards fraud detection, financial crime compliance, credit scoring, stress-testing and cyber analytics. Also looking at how to predict which ATM machines/ branches get cash shortage to prevent that as much as we can and make customer experience better.

so so excited!

2 Likes

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by umaryusuf(m): 7:42am On Sep 06, 2016
A lot of opportunities are available in data science and Machine Learning field. If you work where data in been generated on and on, then you probably need the skills...

Data Science Tutorial For Beginners is on at: https://www.nairaland.com/3316409/data-science-tutorial-beginners-python

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by VenantCode(m): 10:34am On Sep 06, 2016
In all honesty i wonder if the nairaland.com board of directors knows how much she can grow when she employs machine learning

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by benebaby77: 8:33pm On Apr 17, 2017
DAPMAN601:

Data Analysis and Visualization(Power BI,Tableau, ggplot2,matplotlib etc) .
Please, where can download these software for free?
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 18, 2017
benebaby77:

Try downloading Anaconda from here: https://www.continuum.io/downloads
It comes with matplotlib, pandas, numpy and a lot of other data science tools. It also has a good IDE, Spyder. Plus it gives you a one-stop shop for all python setup stuff. Too much headache without it.
Plus you can install it on your work PC in case you don't have UAC.

Also check out this post I made on free learning resources here https://www.nairaland.com/3734856/finding-resources-free-learning

Coursera has a lot of data science courses and a specialization
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 18, 2017
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 10:51am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:
Future of machine learning in Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/3496690/future-machine-learning-nigeria
There is a project I think we can work on together. smiley
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 18, 2017
ToyinDipo:

There is a project I think we can work on together. smiley
No thank you smiley

3 Likes

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 10:58am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

No thank you smiley
Lol, trust me, it's something you would like to work on, no pun.
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 18, 2017
ToyinDipo:

Lol, trust me, it's something you would like to work on, no pun.
Lol still no thank you wink
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 11:12am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

Lol still no thank you wink
Haha, it will be remotely now.

I like chatting with you lol, why did you pull out of our 'argument' yesterday, I wasn't making sense to you?
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 18, 2017
ToyinDipo:

Haha, it will be remotely now.

I like chatting with you lol, why did you pull out of our 'argument' yesterday, I wasn't making sense to you?
Lol oh I must've missed it, sorry. I was getting a lot of mentions yesterday evening over one incident so it must've gotten caught up in the swamp
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 11:19am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

Lol oh I must've missed it, sorry. I was getting a lot of mentions yesterday evening over one incident so it must've gotten caught up in the swamp
I believe you lol, it's not really big deal.
You still haven't asked about the app, lol.
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 18, 2017
ToyinDipo:

I believe you lol, it's not really big deal.
You still haven't asked about the app, lol.
What's the app about?
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by benebaby77: 11:27am On Apr 18, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Try downloading Anaconda from here: https://www.continuum.io/downloads
It comes with matplotlib, pandas, numpy and a lot of other data science tools. It also has a good IDE, Spyder. Plus it gives you a one-stop shop for all python setup stuff. Too much headache without it.
Plus you can install it on your work PC in case you don't have UAC.

Also check out this post I made on free learning resources here https://www.nairaland.com/3734856/finding-resources-free-learning

Coursera has a lot of data science courses and a specialization

Thank you very much, I really appreciate

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 11:28am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

What's the app about?
If you find it interesting, will you like to work on it?
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 18, 2017
ToyinDipo:

If you find it interesting, will you like to work on it?
Probably not
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by ToyinDipo(m): 11:47am On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

Probably not
Never mind then smiley

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
benebaby77:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate

If you're learning python or doing data science of any kind with python, Jupyter notebook will be your darling

http://jupyter.org/
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by benebaby77: 4:31am On Apr 19, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

If you're learning python or doing data science of any kind with python, Jupyter notebook will be your darling

http://jupyter.org/

Thank you Sir.

With regard to Anaconda, I seem to have one anaconda 3-2.3 installed on my system last year, I don't know whether they differ or not.

And I don't seem to understand this Jupiter.

I'm new to programming language...
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 19, 2017
benebaby77:

Thank you Sir.

With regard to Anaconda, I seem to have one anaconda 3-2.3 installed on my system last year, I don't know whether they differ or not.

And I don't seem to understand this Jupiter.

I'm new to programming language...

Well, anaconda is all the same, only the versions vary.

What language are you currently learning? If you're not sure, try starting with python. I'm kinda new also but I've gained a lot of experience and I plan to continue.
Be aware that this is a lifetime journey/project. Never mind those who want to teach you everything in 24 hours. Its all lies. Continue and in 10 years time you might just get a peek at the rabbit hole.
I've decided I want to get to the bottom of that hole, even if it takes me 50 years.

Note: Everything I ask you to type below should be done in a windows command prompt.

To check if you have anaconda and what version
conda info OR
conda --version

Update anaconda
conda update conda

In the event you have anaconda installed, try typing the following (each one separately) on a command prompt
spyder
jupyter notebook
anaconda-navigator from here you can launch jupyter notebook or spyder

Jupyter notebook makes coding in python very easy. You type your code and when you're done, you run it by pressing SHIFT + ENTER. And all you need is a browser
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by benebaby77: 10:11pm On Apr 19, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Well, anaconda is all the same, only the versions vary.

What language are you currently learning? If you're not sure, try starting with python. I'm kinda new also but I've gained a lot of experience and I plan to continue.
Be aware that this is a lifetime journey/project. Never mind those who want to teach you everything in 24 hours. Its all lies. Continue and in 10 years time you might just get a peek at the rabbit hole.
I've decided I want to get to the bottom of that hole, even if it takes me 50 years.

Note: Everything I ask you to type below should be done in a windows command prompt.

To check if you have anaconda and what version
conda info OR
conda --version

Update anaconda
conda update conda

In the event you have anaconda installed, try typing the following (each one separately) on a command prompt
spyder
jupyter notebook
anaconda-navigator from here you can launch jupyter notebook or spyder

Jupyter notebook makes coding in python very easy. You type your code and when you're done, you run it by pressing SHIFT + ENTER. And all you need is a browser

Thank you sir for your words of encouragement and advice.

I don't buy in to their ads of being becoming a guru within 1 week or less; it is like saying becomes a professor in a month or year.

I am learning R programming languages, and I love it. I hope to know how to apply and use more of R packages in few years to come

I notice that R and Python have one or two things in common.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 5:20am On Apr 20, 2017
benebaby77:

Thank you sir for your words of encouragement and advice.

I don't buy in to their ads of being becoming a guru within 1 week or less; it is like saying becomes a professor in a month or year.

I am learning R programming languages, and I love it. I hope to know how to apply and use more of R packages in few years to come

I notice that R and Python have one or two things in common.

Thanks once again.

Good. R is great. R and Python are mostly used for data analysis.
You can also run R in Jupyter notebook. Try some duckduckgo searches and see what comes up.

I'll dive into R the moment I have some free time.

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by benebaby77: 7:27pm On Apr 20, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Good. R is great. R and Python are mostly used for data analysis.
You can also run R in Jupyter notebook. Try some duckduckgo searches and see what comes up.

I'll dive into R the moment I have some free time.

I will try to take my time to learn Python once I am done with R...

Thank you for taking your time to respond...

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 20, 2017
benebaby77:
done
Now here's a funny comment. You never get done my friend...hahahaha

Anyway, check out this thread of mine. You might find a few things to pick
https://www.nairaland.com/3734856/finding-resources-free-learning#55460825
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 22, 2017
benebaby77:

You can download anaconda or you can go to your command prompt and type 'pip install matplotlib(or any library you want to install.

You need an internet connection as well

1 Like

Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by uzoexcel(m): 2:51pm On May 08, 2017
Following
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by itsDecent: 12:45am On May 09, 2017
Space booked
Re: Machine Learning/data Science/analytics by dfrost: 4:32am On May 09, 2017
Gaara101:

You can download anaconda or you can go to your command prompt and type 'pip install matplotlib(or any library you want to install.

You need an internet connection as well

Please educate people that 'pip' only works from the python path if it's not in the PATH env.

Also not all versions of python supports pip. I think it starts from 2.8.x. I'll confirm when the day breaks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) / Web Development Using PHP / Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.