Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,990 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 (14559 Views)

Joseph Yobo Visits His Mother In Port Harcourt (Photo) / Kano Pillars Signs Joseph Yobo / Photos From Joseph Yobo's Big Centenary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 11:19am On May 07, 2016
Joseph Yobo’s centenary (Testimonial) game

Date: May 27.

Venue: adokiye Amiesimaka International Stadium in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Yobo, who won 100 caps for the Super Eagles, retired from international football after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Since making his debut for Nigeria in 2001, he went on to feature at three FIFA World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, winning the continental competition in 2013.
His testimonial, tagged “The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game”, will be played at the Adokiye Amiesimaka International Stadium in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

cc: lalasticlala
http://dailypost.ng/2016/02/11/drogba-etoo-expected-at-joseph-yobos-testimonial-in-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Qaisar1: 11:43am On May 07, 2016
I wish him well. He wasn't the best but dedication and passion placed him high above the rest.

* I made FTC * I nor even notice

3 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 12:03pm On May 07, 2016
Joseph Phillip Yobo (born 6 September 1980) is a former Nigerian professional footballer who played as a centre back. He was the captain of the Nigerian national team until his international football retirement in June 2014, and he is Nigeria's record appearance holder.

Early years
Yobo's birthplace is Kono, a community in the Khana area of Rivers State, Nigeria.
Yobo left Nigeria to join Standard Liège in 1998. He made his first team debut in 2000, and went on to appear 46 times. In 2001, he was bought by Marseille.

Club career
Everton
Soon after making his debut, Yobo was loaned to Tenerife. After around nine months, Yobo returned to Marseille, before joining Everton, again on loan, in July 2002. A £1 million fee was required to register the player, and he became the first signing of David Moyes. An option to make the move permanent was taken up and completed in 2003 after a dispute between Yobo and Marseille was settled, with Everton agreeing a fixed additional fee of £4 million
Yobo became one of the most consistent players in the Everton squad, and was one of only seven players in the entire league to play every minute of every game throughout the 2006–07 season; his teammate Joleon Lescott also being an ever-present throughout the season.

The delay, in 2006, in signing a new contract with Everton lead to rumours of a move to Arsenal, but on 22 July, Yobo committed himself to Goodison Park until 2010. On 15 April 2007, Yobo became the record appearance holder for an overseas player at Everton, a record he held until early 2012.[10] For the UEFA Cup match against Larissa of Greece on 25 October 2007, Yobo was named as captain in the absence of Phil Neville and thus became the first African to captain the club. On 6 May 2009, Yobo scored his first goal of the season against West Ham United to seal a 3–1 win.

In the 2009–10 season, Yobo had to adjust to his new defensive partner, Sylvain Distin, after Joleon Lescott left and Phil Jagielka became injured. On 29 November 2009, he scored an own goal in Everton's 2–0 defeat to Liverpool in the Merseyside derby. Distin, Jagielka and John Heitinga were increasingly selected over Yobo, confining him to the bench.

Fenerbahçe
On 31 August 2010, Yobo signed a one-year loan contract with Fenerbahçe. Yobo played in 30 official matches and scored a goal, helping his team win the league title. On 6 September 2011, Fenerbahçe and Everton agreed on another loan deal for €700,000 and Yobo signed a one-year contract worth €2.35 million. On 4 August 2012, he re-signed for Fenerbahçe once again, but this time on a permanent basis on a 3-year contract, after having played for Everton for 10 years. On 17 August Fenerbahçe played against Torku Konyaspor and Yobo scored a goal in this match.[12] Before the 2014-2015 season his contract with Fenerbahce was terminated with mutual agreement On 31 August 2014 was awarded with the plaque of appreciation and have been released from Fenerbahce.
Norwich City

On 30 January 2014, Yobo returned to England on loan at Norwich City for the remainder of the season with a view to a permanent move in the summer.
He marked his debut for the club with a clean sheet against top-scoring club Manchester City on 8 February.

International career
Yobo is a former Nigeria international, who has been capped 100 times and represented the Super Eagles at three FIFA World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.
After participating in Nigeria's run to the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship quarter-finals, Yobo made his senior international debut against Zambia in a 2002 FIFA World Cup qualifier on 24 March 2001.He played in all six of the team's matches in the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations[18] and was included in the squad for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he was again ever-present,[18] assisting Julius Aghahowa's goal in a 2–1 loss to Sweden.[19]

Yobo made his second World Cup appearance at the 2010 tournament in South Africa, after which he assumed the captaincy on the international retirement of Nwankwo Kanu. The veteran defender was no longer a first choice player at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, but lifted the trophy after appearing as an 89th-minute substitute in Nigeria's 1–0 final defeat of Burkina Faso.

In June 2014, Yobo was included in Stephen Keshi's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.]He was named in the starting line-up for both the second and third group matches, helping the Super Eagles to clean sheet in a 1–0 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina.[22] On 30 June, he made his 100th international appearance, captaining Nigeria against France in the round of 16. After scoring an own goal in the 2–0 defeat, Yobo announced his international retirement, saying:

"This is it. I can look back on my career with great pride. I wanted to leave on a high for my country. Defeat by France was not the right way to go but I'm happy with all I've done for the national team. It's time to give a chance to other people to come through."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yobo

2 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 12:12pm On May 07, 2016
Joseph Yobo and the chairman of Everton Bill Kenwright (

Joseph Yobo and his coach at Everton David Moyes

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 4:09pm On May 08, 2016
Eto'o and Drogba expected for Yobo testimonial...

Lets go there...

cc:lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 9:39am On May 09, 2016
the big boys with Yobo

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 10:05am On May 09, 2016
Other EPL stars expected for the Yobo game are: John Terry, Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney from Europe.

Also confirmed for the match are top Afican stars such as the Ayew Brothers, Dede and Jordan, Sulley Muntari, Djibrin Cisse and Tresor Lualua amongst others.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2016/05/06/terry-rooney-others-for-yobo-testimonial/

2 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 1:15pm On May 09, 2016
Joseph Yobo’s centenary (Testimonial) game

Date: May 27.

Venue: adokiye Amiesimaka International Stadium in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Time: 4:00pm

Lets go there guys

kinglekan(m), cruzila, oklobo1(m), klexycole(m), blueto, Optional2(f), TheSuperNerd(m), shizzy7(f), mikron(m),,
, Truckpusher(m), temitemi1(m), safarigirl(f), uduokirika1(m), KingTom(m), joseph1013, Ajibel(m), Evestar200(f), uzolexis(f), sharperino(m), honeric01(m),
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by uduokirika1(m): 2:34pm On May 11, 2016
Yesssooh lets go there

But why should NFF fix a friendly match btw Nigeria and Mali on the same day?

Ndi ara! Ndi ochongonoko

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 2:51pm On May 11, 2016
uduokirika1:
Yesssooh lets go there

But why should NFF fix a friendly match btw Nigeria and Mali on the same day?

Ndi ara! Ndi ochongonoko

NFF ko

NFF ni

lets go there its Yobo game and world stars coming....

we can watch freindly replay later

But Moyes

Drogba Etoo, Rooney, John terry don't come to town every day

lets be there live in Port Harcourt

5 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by allanphash7(m): 3:23pm On May 11, 2016
i hope Adaeze will be there
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 11, 2016
[size=13pt] FOOTBALL IS LIFE [/size]

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by BABANGBALI: 3:30pm On May 11, 2016
27th May is children's day so Joseph Yobo is a children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by todayguest(m): 3:36pm On May 11, 2016
Has paid his dues. Wishing him success in his future endeavours.

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Blitzeee(m): 3:38pm On May 11, 2016
He is one of the those that won my heart when it comes to dedication. He might not be the most skillful player in Nigeria's colour but committed to the game of football. I celebrate him whether NFF does or not is none of my business

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by goodvision12(m): 3:44pm On May 11, 2016
Qaisar1:
I wish him well. He wasn't the best but dedication and passion placed him high above the rest.

9ice one buh i hope this will bring good development and expose our football to greater heights even as the stars converge for the testimonial match.
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by drstan(m): 4:13pm On May 11, 2016
BABANGBALI:
yes a children. ... undecided
BABANGBALI:
yes a children. ...

2 Likes

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by iamdynamite(m): 4:18pm On May 11, 2016
joseph yobo is one of the best central defenders to have played for the super eagles.........he had a very illustrious career....big ups to him......how i wish i can make it to ph.......

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by prinsam30: 4:20pm On May 11, 2016
BABANGBALI:

YOBO IS A CHILDREN??

guy which nursery school you attend na

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by robosky02(m): 4:27pm On May 11, 2016
todayguest:
Has paid his dues. Wishing him success in his future endeavours.

some are remembered for skill exhibited

some for crucial goals scored

yet

some for been very consistent

like Yobo like Maldini
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by bluesaints: 4:39pm On May 11, 2016
After how years
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by BABANGBALI: 5:00pm On May 11, 2016
prinsam30:

YOBO IS A CHILDREN??

guy which nursery school you attend na
I attends nairaland international childrens school

1 Like

Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by BABANGBALI: 5:03pm On May 11, 2016
drstan:
yes a children. ... undecided yes a children. ...
I tolded you before now why are you tolding me again?
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Rockyrascal(m): 5:26pm On May 11, 2016
What happened to uyo intl stadium a.k.a the next of champions
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Ibime(m): 5:40pm On May 11, 2016
We have been playing Joseph Yobos testimonial for the last 4 years of his SE career.

Old man that overstayed his welcome in SE.
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Branzy(m): 6:04pm On May 11, 2016
Ibime:
We have been playing Joseph Yobos testimonial for the last 4 years of his SE career.

Old man that overstayed his welcome in SE.
bad belle go play ball if e easy
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by deltateam: 7:08pm On May 11, 2016
robosky02:

NFF ko

NFF ni

lets go there its Yobo game and world stars coming....

we can watch freindly replay later

But Moyes

Drogba Etoo, Rooney, John terry don't come to town every day

lets be there live in Port Harcourt

I feel that the report is not complete without time of the match and if there is any payment to be made for it and how it would be made. I really want to be there after missing Nwankwo and Okocha's own.

At least I get to see Papillo live!
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Qaisar1: 7:46pm On May 11, 2016
goodvision12:
9ice one buh i hope this will bring good development and expose our football to greater heights even as the stars converge for the testimonial match.

This one match won't bring back our dead football league. Don't hope too much. save yourself from unnecessary heartbreak and drama.... we all wish the National football team/league well too.
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by Sochimaobim(m): 8:02pm On May 11, 2016
Thank God it's in PH. La miss la bend! Is the ticket on sale already?? Wouldn't want a last minute rush. God keep me healthy that day oo.
Na so I plan for that Super Eagles match, dt day come reach, one mumu fever wey I no sabi where it came from come hold me down.
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by goodvision12(m): 8:38pm On May 11, 2016
Qaisar1:

This one match won't bring back our dead football league. Don't hope too much. save yourself from unnecessary heartbreak and drama.... we all wish the National football team/league well too.
pls point of correction.our football league is not dead.I totally disagree with you on that.Did yu watch the league match between kano pillars vs enyimba international?That match was a cracker and good for advert.
Re: The Joseph Yobo Centenary Game (Testimonial) May 27th. 2016 by abumeinben(m): 9:52pm On May 11, 2016
I'll be dia

Willn't or doesn't you?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Guardiola Likely To Remain At Manchester City Even If Their UEFA Ban Is Upheld / Super Falcons Forward, Francisca Ordega, Signs Contract With Levante In Spain / Super Eagles Vs Egypt (2 - 3) On Thursday April 12th 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.