Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,176 members, 7,825,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. (2221 Views)

Over 50 Thousand Clarace Catfish Fingerlings Are In Ilorin Kwara State / My Chickens Are Dying- A Nairalander Cries Out / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 1:01pm On May 07, 2016
Hello

I need the help, I recently set up a well consturcted flow-thorugh hatchery system and I am currently experiencing very low survival rate of the newly hatched fries 2 weeks later, I have less than 200 fries left in the 4 hatchery containers.

I used Coppens crumbs to feed them due to the high level of adulterated artemia in the market, but they do not seem to be doing well. I also have good borehole water and the PH is measured regularly but their numbers keep dropping everyday, Please I need advice seriously as I do not know what is wrong. Am afraid I may loose all the fries in a weeks time.

Thanks.
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 6:48pm On May 07, 2016
I am still waiting for suggestions, any opinions?
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:51pm On May 07, 2016
MAAF:
Hello

I need the help, I recently set up a well consturcted flow-thorugh hatchery system and I am currently experiencing very low survival rate of the newly hatched fries 2 weeks later, I have less than 200 fries left in the 4 hatchery containers.

I used Coppens crumbs to feed them due to the high level of adulterated artemia in the market, but they do not seem to be doing well. I also have good borehole water and the PH is measured regularly but their numbers keep dropping everyday, Please I need advice seriously as I do not know what is wrong. Am afraid I may loose all the fries in a weeks time.

Thanks.
when u use coppens u should not overfeed. with that number presently, they are small. in future, go to reputable store to get your artemia & if ibadan,durante sells. also aquapro could assist d rate of survival. it is also good to understudy or visit other hatchery.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 10:18pm On May 07, 2016
Please how many times do you think I should feed the fries daily.
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by deeabdul: 11:12pm On May 07, 2016
feed at intervals of 2hrs, but dont over feed, and always siphon the left over of feed and dirts from ur containers.
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by deeabdul: 11:15pm On May 07, 2016
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 8:56am On May 08, 2016
I use flow through system so most of the time the water is always clear with no residue, water flows in the hatchery 24 hrs. Also I do not see any dead fries, could it be cannibalism?
Do I need to add vitamins to the water.
I was able to get a very original artemia, how long should fries be fed artemia before they are switched to feeds?
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 12:47pm On May 10, 2016
Please how many days should I feed fries Artemia before I switch to supplemental feeds, and what is the best supplemental feed to give them after that.
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 10, 2016
first thing is to test the water.
have you tested the water ? what is the ph? water is d calcium and other mineral composition?
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by Sprintson(m): 4:03pm On May 10, 2016
Take it easy man, you get used to it with time.
Feed artemia as someone already told you here and watch out for little things like stress from transferring or handling, siphon dead fish and waste food.
I know you would say you have done that but how often are you in the farm?
Feed once to satiation gradually with a little tee spoon and allow them take it for about 2 and half hours and feed again but be observant.
U can mail me thru; chazereel@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by babaoloola(m): 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
I'm sorry Sir, but I think you really need to stop production first, visit experienced hatchers, and see them do these things- first hand. They may charge you for training, but it will be way cheaper than spending thousands without results.

Hatchery management! I can talk till next week and you'll still not get it.
+ Broodstock selection
+Water management- pH, temp, chem. composition, hardness/softness, etc
+ stress and deseases management
+ vat/pond construction
+ Feeding- brand, size, frequency
+ etc.
Just one of the items above could cost a farmer his whole investment. They are certainly the areas you should look out for.

Goodluck Sire!

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 5:45pm On May 10, 2016
mercylicious:
first thing is to test the water.
have you tested the water ? what is the ph? water is d calcium and other mineral composition?

I have tested the water already and the constitution is perfect for fishery.
Re: Help! My Fingerlings Are Dying. by MAAF: 5:51pm On May 10, 2016
And this is the original Artemia I intend using for the next hatchery as none of the fries survived today, I will have to start afresh.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Large Quantities Of These Vegetables: Bitter Leaf & Okazi / Tomatoes And Pepper Investments Very Lucrative!!! / 15 Ton Of Limestone Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.