Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,649 members, 7,827,396 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N (1370 Views)

Senate Orders Arrest Of CEOs Of Glo, Crown Flour Mills 28 Others / EFCC Releases Statement On Arrest Of Abubakar Sidiq, Says He Is A Cyber Stalker / EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank,sterling Bank After They Refund Billions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by Super1Star: 7:55pm On May 07, 2016
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has released the chief executive officers of two Nigerian banks after the men returned billions of naira they had illicitly acquired from political slush funds during the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.
BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKMAY 07, 2016
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has released the chief executive officers of two Nigerian banks after the men returned billions of naira they had illicitly acquired from political slush funds during the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

Two EFCC sources told SaharaReporters that Sterling Bank’s CEO, Yemi Adeola, who was arrested on Wednesday in a raid on his bank by EFCC operatives, was released last night after he deposited a payment of N5 billion. According to one of our sources, the money returned by Mr. Adeola was in partial restitution for a transaction of $88 million he received from Nigeria's former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke.

Mr. Adeola is expected to pay back a total of N17 billion to the recovery accounts of the Nigerian treasury within two weeks.

Also released last night was Herbert Wigwe, the Managing Director of Access Bank Plc., who was arrested yesterday after EFCC agents raided the bank headquarters in Lagos.

A source at the EFCC told SaharaReporters that some notable personalities, including Oba Akiolu of Lagos and the bank's former CEO, Aig-Imokhuede, had pressured the anti-corruption agency to grant Mr. Wigwe bail. “We refused all such entreaties until Mr. Wigwe returned $5 million.” EFCC investigators said Zenith Bank had illicitly transferred the $5 million to Access Bank from a slush fund arranged by Ms. Alison-Madueke.

The EFCC source said the agency was conducting discreet investigations and recoveries of plundered funds from rogue bank CEOs who assisted Ms. Alison-Madueke and other officials of President Jonathan’s administration to launder funds. He added that most of the funds were laundered through opaque accounts that were kept “off records” by bank MDS.

The case of Access Bank was also linked to oil businessmen Jide Omokore and Kola Aluko, now a fugitive. Between them, both men are suspected to have stolen more than $6 billion from oil proceeds that should have accrued to the Nigerian government treasury.

According to an EFCC source, the two oil businessmen’s link at Access Bank is an executive director, Angela Ebagua, who is Omokore's wife. EFCC investigators who recently searched Ms. Ebagua Lagos home found her in possession of a $600k wristwatch.

One of our EFCC sources disclosed that the agency was now looking at First Bank. He said the EFCC’s investigation of the bank was focusing on the bank’s role in laundering more than $1 billion for the National Security Adviser’s office during the tenure of Colonel Sambo Dasuki, who is on trial for funneling billions of dollars of security funds into private hands. The source added that First Bank may have helped launder funds for Ms. Alison-Madueke, Mr. Omokore, and Mr. Aluko. EFCC officials recently invited a former CEO of the bank, Bisi Onasanya, for a chat.

SAHARAREPORTERS

1 Like

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by Super1Star: 7:58pm On May 07, 2016
First Bank and Zenith Bank loading............
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by hisgrace090: 8:36pm On May 07, 2016
All we want is total recovery, neverdeless,
Sai buhari
Sai magu
Sai DSS.
There is hope for my country at last.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by Stalwert: 9:14pm On May 07, 2016
Foolish wailers be like we will not take it this is witch hunt but the witches involved keep vomiting stolen funds. grin grin sai Nigeria. .. We will get there inshallah

1 Like

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by Super1Star: 9:53pm On May 07, 2016
Stalwert:
Foolish wailers be like we will not take it this is witch hunt but the witches involved keep vomiting stolen funds. grin grin sai Nigeria. .. We will get there inshallah
!

I tire for those wailers. Wallahi!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2016
Bankers must be involved in fraud.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by bilulu(m): 10:38pm On May 07, 2016
My question is; is this how to actually fight corruption? U accuse someone of looting and u allegedly claim the person has refunded d money and u set him free. Wat re u teaching us? that u can loot dem u go to EFCC and return d loot and walk home without any fine or consequences. But u catch a poor man who shoplifted a maggi and u caught him with dat maggi why don't you jux collect the maggi n let him go home? Why try n sentence him to jail..... well I was jux thinking aloud
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by DaBullIT(m): 8:44am On May 08, 2016
It's just witch hunt abeg, All these media trials grin grin grin grin grin

[size=1pt]That's what those useless erdyots always claim
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by johnmartus(m): 9:44am On May 08, 2016
Good job@ EFCC.oba akinolu always behave like thuggery criminal
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by johnmartus(m): 9:44am On May 08, 2016
Good job@ EFCC.oba akinolu always behave like thuggery criminal
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:15am On May 08, 2016
Operation close your account with fradulent Banks.

Sterling Bank should expect me tomorrow morning. I am closing my account and terminating all transactions with them. My money is not safe in the hand of treasury looters.

UBA should watch their back too. Any news like aiding fraud and money laundry will prompt me to close my gaddem account with them.
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by NaijaEfcc: 10:20am On May 08, 2016
lol Una no dey tire? Propaganda dot com, so if I steal and return, I will be free??
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by ckmayoca: 10:20am On May 08, 2016
bilulu:
My question is; is this how to actually fight corruption? U
accuse someone of looting and u allegedly claim the
person has refunded d money and u set him free. Wat re u
teaching us? that u can loot dem u go to EFCC and return
d loot and walk home without any fine or consequences.
But u catch a poor man who shoplifted a maggi and u
caught him with dat maggi why don't you jux collect the
maggi n let him go home? Why try n sentence him to jail.....
well I was jux thinking aloud

Something is not right somewhere. It could be a gimic to lure others to surrender easily without a fight.
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by NaijaEfcc: 10:22am On May 08, 2016
bilulu:
my brother I don laugh tire!! ZOMBIES are something else!!
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by olalat(m): 10:32am On May 08, 2016
It may not be the standard approach, but its d best available option for nw considering our corrupt judicial system. It also saves govt litigation cost together wt d expendables on prison inmates if convicted.
bilulu:

1 Like

Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by bilulu(m): 11:47am On May 08, 2016
olalat:
It may not be the standard approach, but its d best available option for nw considering our corrupt judicial system. It also saves govt litigation cost together wt d expendables on prison inmates if convicted.
who says the judiciary is corrupt? dat is my problem with d present administration, who ever is not on d same line with d president is corrupt. Let us realise dis is democracy were dey re independent so y not live d judiciary to perform it's duty
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by allycat: 1:19pm On May 08, 2016
Please someone should tell these sources to keep their stories consistent.In the original al story Diezani had the the $600,000 watch while Mrs Omokres watch was £1.4 million. They two watches had their price tags on them at the time of the seizure. Please can the source tell us the make and models of the watches so people like me that notice some nmall details don't keep getting confused.
Re: EFCC Releases Ceos Of Access Bank, Sterling Bank After They Refund Billions Of N by ChukwuIbrahim: 7:19pm On May 08, 2016
Chai!
See money! shocked
Thunder faya jonathan & him follow follow apologists. angry

www.saharareporters.com/2016/05/07/efcc-releases-ceos-access-bank-sterling-bank-after-they-refund-billions-naira

Keneking, abeg come help me shout dat shout of Jona name wey u sabi shout. cool

(1) (Reply)

Tears, My Interview With Ipob Members In The East / Buhari Is Corrupt –archbishop Chukwuma / Anybody Who Believes Aisha Buhari Travelled To USA Is Still Bedwetting & Clueles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.