Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,718 members, 7,851,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:41 PM

Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS (21850 Views)

Buhari Moves To Install Barrow As Gambian President. / Buhari Moves To Sack SGF Babachir Lawal, Gets Likely Replacements - Naij.com / Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by OVI75(m): 8:46am On May 08, 2016
Time To Buy and Hoard For me Oo.Buy Like 100 litres
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by AreaFada2: 8:46am On May 08, 2016
lilprinze:
APC and buhari are all Bunch of hypocrites when the previous administration tried to remove subsidy they insulted and criticized them .
That's why no non-Zombie takes them serious. Talking from all corners of their mouth.

They wish their neighbour bad and they want success.

Governance is now Rocket Science 808. Doctoral level. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by omohayek: 8:47am On May 08, 2016
989900:
You can't remove fuel subsidy while importing refined fuel. Fix the refineries first.

This is nothing but wishful thinking on your part, as the causality is actually reversed. As much as you may like the idea of cheap fuel, it will never be economical to refine it domestically if the price of the product is artificially capped. It's not as if fuel has been available at the "subsidized" rate anyway, so why insist on the maintenance of a subsidy hardly any ordinary person benefits from?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by ibetoibb: 8:47am On May 08, 2016
Subsidy removal is just a scam. GEJ made us to understand that d money will b channeled on developmental project , where r those projects. Refineries not working optimally. From Obj till now we still battling wt d concept of subsidy, fuel importation, the untouchable cabals. Nigeria is a derailed country.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by oloriooko(m): 8:49am On May 08, 2016
VillageParrot:
Barring any last minute changes, President Muhammadu Buhari will within the next few days officially announce the removal of subsidies in prices of petroleum products, SIGNAL can authoritatively report.

Presidency sources informed about the development told SIGNAL on Saturday that President Buhari has already started consultation with the leadership of the National Assembly and key Labour leaders before the official announcement.

According to the source, “President Buhari has come to terms with the economic challenges associated with government subsidy for petroleum products. The current economic situation of the country, has made it even more imperative to remove subsidy, because it is not sustainable.”

It will be recalled that in July 2015, President Buhari dismissed calls for his government to remove fuel subsidy. According to him, “I have received many literature on the need to remove subsidies, but much of it has no depth”.

http://www.signalng.com/flash-buhari-moves-remove-fuel-subsidy-begins-consultation-nass/
angry angry
How can you remove something you said does not exist
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 8:50am On May 08, 2016
omohayek:

[s]This is nothing but wishful thinking on your part, as the causality is actually reversed. As much as you may like the idea of cheap fuel, it will never be economical to refine it domestically if the price of the product is artificially capped. It's not as if fuel has been available at the "subsidized" rate anyway, so why insist on the maintenance of a subsidy hardly any ordinary person benefits from?[/s]

Baloney!
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 8:52am On May 08, 2016
989900:
You can't remove fuel subsidy while importing refined fuel. Fix the refineries first.
lol, where will you get the money to fix the refineries?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by omohayek: 8:56am On May 08, 2016
989900:

Baloney!

Wow, what a deep and compelling rebuttal on your part! I'm totally convinced of the errors in my thinking now! [sarcasm]

Keep on mistaking your fantasies for reality, and see how much closer that gets you to resolving never-ending fuel shortages that have don't exist even in poor neighbors like Benin, Mali and Togo.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by BluStreak(m): 8:59am On May 08, 2016
thunder74:
We need to change this government because the change they promised has not changed anything from the activities of the previous government we changed.

This is EPIC! Keyword #Change
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by berrystunn(m): 8:59am On May 08, 2016
Same people, them them
APC do do don't talk
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 9:00am On May 08, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
lol, where will you get the money to fix the refineries?

1. Are the refineries working now; at what capacity if they are?

2. How much money are we talking about?

If you can answer the above 2 correctly, I'll proceed with you.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by OKorowanta: 9:00am On May 08, 2016
newton231:

Even when your girlfriend jilts you, u'll blame it on the previous administration. Receive sense by fire

Oga Jona juju catch u?
Sorry o...even wen pipo in Bayelsa are saying he is d worst thing
to happen to Bayelsa for not standing up for d state.
I have over 8 friends from Bayelsa and they said they only supported him bicos he is their own.
Wailer,
E be like say u eat from dat whale wey dem butcher for Lagos dat year.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Dripy(m): 9:03am On May 08, 2016
During his campaign, APC and Buhari said there was no subsidy! What is he trying to remove?
The government was built on lies, deceit and the immoral hankering for power at all cost now we have been stuck by the magnitude of the deceits.

The dagger that did the damage still drips with blood.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 9:07am On May 08, 2016
989900:

1. Are the refineries working now; at what capacity if they are?

2. How much money are we talking about?

If you can answer the above 2 correctly, I'll proceed with you.
I'M really not trying to start an argument; it's a simple matter of placing the cart before the horse...if you want the refineries fixed, you need to get some money, if you want money, remove subsidies

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 9:07am On May 08, 2016
omohayek:

Wow, what a deep and compelling rebuttal on your part! I'm totally convinced of the errors in my thinking now! [sarcasm]

Keep on mistaking your fantasies for reality, and see how much closer that gets you to resolving never-ending fuel shortages that have don't exist even in poor neighbors like Benin, Mali and Togo.

I'm sorry to have to call it what it is, honestly, I wish I did that in a more polite way, but it was just some choking gallimaufry you had going there, and it is totally pointless having such convo with that amount of naivety -- which is none of your fault anyways.

One point though, how do other oil producing countries whose PMS pump prices without subsidy are well below N70/litre do it?
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by eph12(m): 9:07am On May 08, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing..

NNPC would be the preferred destination. Wait and see what's gonna happen to the rest.
The rest will be just fine. NNPC alone can't serve one quarter of our population.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by grandstar(m): 9:12am On May 08, 2016
989900:
Wrong, diesel is already deregulated and is imported

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Rexnegro(m): 9:13am On May 08, 2016
good move mr pmb, subsidy has always been fraud all along, the purpose wasn't achieved because some few (cabals) has grossly benefited from it and Not The masses...how can govt say they re subsidizing yet the price of fuel, kerosene, etc are still high, What then did they claim to subsidize? Mr President God will guide You tru, just do the best for the common Man, thanks
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 9:15am On May 08, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
I'M really not trying to start an argument; it's a simple matter of placing the cart before the horse...if you want the refineries fixed, you need to get some money, if you want money, remove subsidies

0/2
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by grandstar(m): 9:18am On May 08, 2016
The subsidy on forex needs to be removed first as there won't be enough forex to import or it will be sold at the black market exchange rate

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by eightsin(m): 9:19am On May 08, 2016
This country is just a mess.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by grandstar(m): 9:24am On May 08, 2016
989900:

I'm sorry to have to call it what it is, honestly, I wish I did that in a more polite way, but it was just some choking gallimufry you had going there, and it is totally pointless having such convo with that amount of naivety -- which is none of your fault anyways.

One point though, how do other oil producing countries whose PMS pump prices without subsidy are well below N70/litre do it?

which countries pls?
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by banki(m): 9:25am On May 08, 2016
989900:

So the avengers can keep blowing it
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by omohayek: 9:27am On May 08, 2016
989900:

I'm sorry to have to call it what it is, honestly, I wish I did that in a more polite way, but it was just some choking gallimufry you had going there, and it is totally pointless having such convo with that amount of naivety -- which is none of your fault anyways.

Care to point out what exactly was "gallimufry" in what I wrote? How do you expect refining to flourish in Nigeria when private operators aren't able to make a profit?

The answer is simple: their prices are not below N70/litre, which is why it is so lucrative for criminals to hijack refined fuel from Nigeria to sell abroad.

We have to face reality: no matter what the "official" price of petrol may be, nobody is actually getting it at that price without having to do a lot of waiting in long queues in the hot sun with jerry-cans, often with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Isn't it better to pay the market price for fuel and be sure that you can get it within minutes, rather than wasting so many days of one's life looking for "cheap" fuel that isn't there? Because that is the real situation Nigerians have been facing for years now.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that this same costly fuel subsidy is one major reason why Nigeria saved nothing during the years when oil was $110/barrel, or that keeping it in place will completely blow up the 2016 budget, which already requires substantial borrowing. Would you rather have better electricity transmission and better road/rail links, or see billions poured into fuel subsidies whose main beneficiaries are smugglers and fraudulent importers?

If you think I am wrong in anything I have said, I would appreciate a response that points out the gaps or errors in my reasoning, rather than trading insults or simply accusing me of "gallimufry".

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 9:34am On May 08, 2016
Voting this stone-cold nomad is a major blunder on my part!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by nairakobo: 9:47am On May 08, 2016
omohayek:

Care to point out what exactly was "gallimufry" in what I wrote? How do you expect refining to flourish in Nigeria when private operators aren't able to make a profit?

The answer is simple: their prices are not below N70/litre, which is why it is so lucrative for criminals to hijack refined fuel from Nigeria to sell abroad.

We have to face reality: no matter what the "official" price of petrol may be, nobody is actually getting it at that price without having to do a lot of waiting in long queues in the hot sun with jerry-cans, often with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Isn't it better to pay the market price for fuel and be sure that you can get it within minutes, rather than wasting so many days of one's life looking for "cheap" fuel that isn't there? Because that is the real situation Nigerians have been facing for years now.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that this same costly fuel subsidy is one major reason why Nigeria saved nothing during the years when oil was $110/barrel, or that keeping it in place will completely blow up the 2016 budget, which already requires substantial borrowing. Would you rather have better electricity transmission and better road/rail links, or see billions poured into fuel subsidies whose main beneficiaries are smugglers and fraudulent importers?

If you think I am wrong in anything I have said, I would appreciate a response that points out the gaps or errors in my reasoning, rather than trading insults or simply accusing me of "gallimufry".

Just wanna let u knw dat ur civility is well spotted n appreciated.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 9:49am On May 08, 2016
omohayek:

I posted the below sometime in February in response to another commenter, I'll just copy and paste here.

Yes, fuel is N3.98 kobo (Three Naira, Ninety-eight kobo)/litre in Venezuela and,

Kuwait: N44.00 ($0.22)

Turkmenistan: N57.77 ($0.29)

Saudi: N47.76 ($0.24)

Qatar: N71.6 ($0.36) per litre.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but we all learn everyday.

I posted a link, why don't you go through, it'd be useful . . .

Like I said earlier, I practically lived/live some of those prices, and it is of course even cheaper for Octane91 and lower (as most of those prices are for 95, 97 Octane). And those prices are after Saudi, Qatar, UAE, and some others, just increased pump prices some few weeks ago, 'cause of their shortfall in oil revenue by removing fuel subsidies. The UAE oil minister practically said "we'r rich people we should be able to afford to pay without subsidy". Venezuela is heavily subsidized though (not a practical example).

http://www.newsofbahrain.com/viewNews.php?ppId=12820&TYPE=Posts&pid=22&MNU=18&SUB=
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/uae-to-cut-remaining-energy-subsidies--619552.html
http://www.pressreader.com/uae/khaleej-times/20160123/281479275428924/TextView

In furtherance, all those other side issues you rightly mentioned like power supply and most other ills, including the value of the Naira, are largely by-products of non-working refineries; with working refineries almost every other ill would be corrected.

If we remove subsidy now, and no working refineries, and still import refined fuel, what happens if say oil ever goes to the $100/barrel range?

Will we reverse policy and start paying subsidy again, or allow official pump prices in excess of N300/litre?

Inflation? wages?

For how long will we be doing this unproductive dance?

With working refineries, the Naira will appreciate and pump price can be as low as N40-N50 or thereabout if the Naira appreciates, and the gov't and other refinery owners will still make money (at present oil prices).

I wrote the below some while back, it might further help with where I am coming from.

https://www.nairaland.com/3082768/nnpc-vs-customs-vs-cbn
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by henryutd(m): 9:52am On May 08, 2016
I have no problem with subsidy removal provided the price of Pms per litre won't be more than #40 according to Fashola. Global crude price still little above $40.

At that price, fuel should be #35 per litre using Fashola's formula of 2014. I doubt if the formula is still working now.
grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by 989900: 9:53am On May 08, 2016
Pump prices/l

Venezuela: N3.98k ($0.02)

Kuwait: N44.00 ($0.22)

Turkmenistan: N57.77 ($0.29)

Saudi: N47.76 ($0.24)

Qatar: N71.6 ($0.36)

Japan: 191.07 ($0.96)

Singapore: N246.76 ($1.24)

Brazil: N185.07 ($0.93)

India: N183.23 ($0.92)

China: N179.10 ($0.90)

Nigeria: N87.50 ($0.44)

Norway: N322.33 ($1.62)

More at http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

The above is for a wider perspective.
Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 9:54am On May 08, 2016
VillageParrot:
Barring any last minute changes, President Muhammadu Buhari will within the next few days officially announce the removal of subsidies in prices of petroleum products, SIGNAL can authoritatively report.

Presidency sources informed about the development told SIGNAL on Saturday that President Buhari has already started consultation with the leadership of the National Assembly and key Labour leaders before the official announcement.

According to the source, “President Buhari has come to terms with the economic challenges associated with government subsidy for petroleum products. The current economic situation of the country, has made it even more imperative to remove subsidy, because it is not sustainable.”

It will be recalled that in July 2015, President Buhari dismissed calls for his government to remove fuel subsidy. According to him, “I have received many literature on the need to remove subsidies, but much of it has no depth”.

http://www.signalng.com/flash-buhari-moves-remove-fuel-subsidy-begins-consultation-nass/

And all I will say to this is.....IT IS ABOUT TIME.

Thing is....we do not have enough cash to subsdise fuel. Even back when oil was above $100 per barrel.

When GEJ wanted to remove subsidy.....people like Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala...both agreed that it was the right idea. If we had removed the thing...by now we would have had more savings. (Of course...that does not mean we would have had a stable economy....economic successs is due to innovation and industrial development...not resource dependency).

Nigerians should stop looking for cheap fuel.That era has long since been over. We were wrong to oppose the removal back in 2012...and we would be wrong now....especially as we need more naira to import the refined product.(till we build more refineries).

Govt should use the savings from the subsidy removal to build more refineries.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 10:01am On May 08, 2016
Festivalofholi:
As if things aren't bad enough, now d dullard want to remove fuel subsidy. Buhari shuld be impeached, he has no idea of wot he is doing. He's lost it completely.

1.Glad you also think badly of GEJ too....since he too wanted to remove subsidy.

2.Subsidy was easy to keep when oil was above $100 per barrel. Now it is below $50 per barrel. We have to save money. Unless you want us to take a loan from the IMF to keep the subsidy......which means more problems later.

Better face the reality. The reason why GSM works well is because OBJ did not bring out a subsidy on GSM phone bills.

Either you have a secret plan to raise oil to $123 per barrel....which is where we need it to balance the books...or we face reality. We should have faced reality in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS by Nobody: 10:03am On May 08, 2016
emmalexabl:
THIS APC AND SCAM ARE JUST 5 and 6!!

So you call being realistic about our fiances a scam?

SMH for you.

You people do not want a government....you want a mummy that would give you cookies and milk every day.

What alternatives do you have?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sowore’s 'Revolution Now’ Movement: Things You Should Know / #babanowthatyouarethere Trending For 2days Now On Twitter (hilarious Scrnshots) / Ibrahim Shekarau Welcomes Baby Girl. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.