Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,723 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Ivy League Professor Doing Math Equation On Flight Mistaken For Terrorist - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ivy League Professor Doing Math Equation On Flight Mistaken For Terrorist (695 Views)

Man Checks Single Can Of Beer As Luggage On Flight / Nigerian Man Dies On Flight From Dubai To Luwanda, Do You Know Him?(photo) / Laptops, Ipads, Phones Ban On Flight From Middle East To Britain And U.S. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ivy League Professor Doing Math Equation On Flight Mistaken For Terrorist by IkennaNweke(m): 9:04am On May 08, 2016
An Ivy League professor said his flight was delayed because a fellow passenger thought the math equations he was writing might be a sign he was a terrorist.

American Airlines confirms that the woman expressed suspicions about University of Pennsylvania economics professor Guido Menzio. She said she was too ill to take the Air Wisconsin-operated flight.

Menzio said he was flying from Philadelphia to Syracuse on Thursday night and was solving a differential equation related to a speech he was set to give at Queen's University in Ontario, Canada. He said the woman sitting next to him passed a note to a flight attendant and the plane headed back to the gate. Menzio, who is Italian and has curly, dark hair, said the pilot then asked for a word and he was questioned by an official.

"I thought they were trying to get clues about her illness," he told The Associated Press in an email. "Instead, they tell me that the woman was concerned that I was a terrorist because I was writing strange things on a pad of paper."

Menzio said he explained what he had been doing and the flight took off soon afterward. He was treated respectfully throughout, he added. But, he said, he was concerned about a delay that a brief conversation or an Internet search could have resolved.

American spokesman Casey Norton said the Air Wisconsin crew followed protocol to take care of an ill passenger and then to investigate her allegations. Norton wouldn't specify the details of the allegations, but said officials determined them to be non-credible. The woman was rebooked on a later flight.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ivy-league-professor-doing-math-equation-flight-mistaken-terrorist-n569911
Re: Ivy League Professor Doing Math Equation On Flight Mistaken For Terrorist by agabaI23(m): 9:05am On May 08, 2016
Kai, poor passenger!

So anything you can't understand is terror related? Where is my cane?
Re: Ivy League Professor Doing Math Equation On Flight Mistaken For Terrorist by Amplitron: 9:25am On May 08, 2016
Fear of the unknown. The more unknowns the more fears.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is All The Item Sent From Abroad Mostly Cloths And Bags Smell The Same Odor / Scarcity Of Aviation Fuel Led To About 90% Cancellation Of Local Flights Today / Graphic- Horrified Villagers Cut Open Python, Remove Body Of Missing Man (photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.