Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,118 members, 7,814,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

This Year's Nigerian Economic Summit May Not Hold: Frank Nweke Jr. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Year's Nigerian Economic Summit May Not Hold: Frank Nweke Jr. (1205 Views)

Buhari Calls National Economic Summit – Top Official Reveals / Emergence Of Frank Nweke. / Frank Nweke Jr. Has Failed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This Year's Nigerian Economic Summit May Not Hold: Frank Nweke Jr. by DMD(m): 10:17am On Aug 13, 2009
Fears over economic summit
The Guardian, Thursday, August 13, 2009

UNCERTAINTY is said to be hanging over the 15th Nigerian Economic Summit billed for between October 6 and 9, 2009.

The summit is organised yearly by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), a private sector think - tank set up to engage the Nigerian government in proffering solutions to her developmental challenges with a view to enabling the country emerge a modern globally competitive economy.

So far, 14 editions have been held since 1993, when Chief Ernest Shonekan as the head of the Interim National Government (ING) kicked off the first. But some stakeholders and concerned staff at the weekend expressed fears over this year's summit. They observed that barely two months to the summit, nothing was on ground to suggest that the NESG was serious about the programme this year.

The NESG Director-General, Mr. Frank Nweke Jnr. however, recently swiftly debunked the allegations levelled against him, saying, "who told you those lies? Anyway, I am going to investigate and find out. But I want to assure you that everything concerning the summit planning is on course. "Very shortly, we are going to inform the public about the plans and all the details that they should know. I am not granting you an interview anyway, because where I am now, I cannot speak with you for a long time. But I assure you we would speak later and I would brief you on all the preparations.''

The Board appoints the director-general of the NESG, which is the highest level of the private sector organ. Before Nweke Jr., there had been Prof. Anya O. Anya and Dr. Ahmed Mansur whom Nweke took over from.
Some stakeholders have pointed out that no organising committee was in place to engage the government on issues like the summit theme and sub-topics, as well as, resource persons that would make presentations at the yearly discussion forum.

Yet, another stakeholder close to the NESG alleged that the eight policy commissions set up by the previous management to tackle challenges and proffer solutions to specific sectors in the country had also not been meeting regularly. A stakeholder said, "there is palpable fear and doubts as to the successful hosting of the 15th Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) Forum this year. The Summit is billed for October 6 to 9. But as we speak, there is nothing on ground to suggest that the Summit is going to be held. No planning committee to drive the organisation of the summit. Even the policy commissions have stopped meeting."

The stakeholder continued, "as we speak, the summit has not got a theme, sub-topics and resource persons have neither been identified nor contacted. Yet, staff members have become disillusioned and are resigning. The Chief Accountant of the NESG has already turned in his own resignation and is leaving before the end of this month."
"The development poses very dangerous signals because of the critical role the NESG plays in agenda-setting in the country, especially in view of the Vision 202020 project,'' the stakeholder, who asked not to be mentioned finally submitted. The Guardian learnt that the Board of the NESG headed by Dr. Mao Nwaohunba will be meeting on Thursday.[/b]

My Dear Nairalanders, I have been a keen watcher of the Nigerian Economy, and it beats my imagination why the board of the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) would appoint the so-called Fank Nweke to run the affairs of the NESG, having seen his antecedents in Enugu State as ex Chief of Staff to former Governor Nnamani and as former Minister of information under Obasanjo's regime.

I have even gathered before now that he had run the secretariat of the NESG as his personal business and using every means possible to siphon money from what use to be "Nigeria's premier think-tank and research and advocacy institution." Your responses please!

(1) (Reply)

D'banj Interviews Jonathan. / Why Is Gaddafi So Strong-headed And Stubborn? / What Is The Exact Vote Requirement To Winning The Presidency In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.