Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

How Do Banks Make Their Money? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do Banks Make Their Money? (7334 Views)

Nine Nigerian Banks Make Top 1000 Global Banks List / 13 Nigerian Banks Make Top 1,000 World Banks / 9 Nigerian Banks Make Top 1000 World Banks Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by Jemmie: 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2009
Richybank,

Almost everyone is right.

It depends on the kind of account you operate; savings or current. If you operate savings account, no charges will be made on your money instead you receive interest-which amounts to nothing- on your money. However, if you receive text messages and emails from your bank, there are fees charged to it - though very little.

If you operate current accounts, you rather pay some charges to the bank instead. With your current account, you make use of cheque books which has been overridden ATM. If you withdrew with cheques then be ready to pay charges too.

If you collect loan(s) you will be charged.

Overall, either savings or current, a charge (COT) is deducted from our account if your cash a certain amount of thousands (N5 per a thousand).

However, banks do deduct some hidden costs/charges which will be known to the customer after a thorough check on the statement of account.

Most Nigerians do not pick up their bank statement from their banks, so how would they know what is happening to their monies.

Example; I collected loan to run an international business, i was told what i will be charged but i wasnt told about other charges which later cropped up in my bank statement. What do you call that? Normal banking operation? I asked my banker and he told me that those monies were necessary. Well, I have collected the loan, what do I do. Another thing I looked at foolishly was that it was a little money (N200, N20,etc) put together amounts to about N500 or less. But this happens monthly and imagine if it happens to about 5000 nigerian, how much will that be monthly.

Well, lets hope someone will come to really sweep corruption out of Nigerian system.

Regards!
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by Nezan(m): 2:09pm On Aug 17, 2009
Banks make their money by robbing depositors, especially, 9ja banks.
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by olaide3(f): 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2009
They simply makes it from us. Chikena!
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by citizenY(m): 3:43pm On Aug 17, 2009
I am very glad somebody is asking this question. \for quite some time, I have been musing over this issue.

We all know the low productive potential of the economy - a mono cultural , low industrial ( by way of volume and technology),
comatose ,energy starved , import based affair with the attendant consequences- low grade production below established capacity
and mass unemployment. we cannot refine out crude for local use, our steel industry cannot produce flat sheets, the textile industry
is in coma. The GSM is the only thriving sector, followed by the flour mills with their flour, spaghetti,indomie and gala!!!!! and of course pure water.

I AM ALWAYS AMAZED WHEN THESEI READ THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT ON POINTBLANKNEWS:-

' Share and earnings falsification, manipulation of growth and stability indicators are being fingered as the reason for the removal of some Nigeria’s
high profile banking operators at the weekend, ''

THIS IS ENOUGH TO PUT ALL THOSE SUPER MANAGING DIRECTORS IN JAIL, IF NIGERIA IS WORKING

THEY DECLARE FANTASTIC PROFITS EVERY YEAR FROM AN ECONOMY THAT IS ON ITS KNESS, GOD HELP US.[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by jpphilips(m): 6:07pm On Aug 17, 2009
Brotherly

Banks dey Run from Aba Road to obigbo With Molue in Ph, thats how they make their money
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by OWAMNBE: 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2009
Banks make money from depositors funds, loans, arranged Over draft, Interest on bank funds, Draft,Bank cheques,COT, treasury bills,safe keeping, forex, and other ''hidden'' charges.
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by PAPAMODE(m): 9:20am On Aug 18, 2009
banks make their money in lots of ways: charges and commissions, differential between lending rates and deposit rates, investing in various businesses etc.

The problem with most Nigerian is that we hardly read the little print. We are eager to collect loans and do not take care/time to read about the other charges often called loan management fees/servicing charges etc but are just interested in the ineterest rate on the principal. Its the same everywhere. In UK, banks also charge for some text messages (not the free weekly ones that tell you of your account balance but do not tell you of debits/overdrafts to your account). Try and get an unplanned overdraft in UK and you'll pay £20 quid per month. And if you've been in the UK for less than one year forget getting a credit card or a planned OD.

Nigerian banks have however found ingenious ways of generating charges. The CBN allows that ATM withdrawals are not free. It now leaves each bank with the modus operandi for charging customers. which is why First Bank charges NGN100 or so per month while banks like Oceanic/UBA/Zenith charge more than NGN5 even for using their own ATMs per transaction. UBA goes further by charging what is called a withdrawal from another branch or system charge if you use an ATM not resident in the branch where you opened your account.

Talking of investments, your best choice would be banks. They earn steady income though the issue of bad debts is a worrying one. The minimum amount to withdraw over the counter is often above NGN40,000.00 and yet the maximum amount you can often withdraw from each machine is often NGN20,000.00. Which means each person wishing to withdraw more than NGN40,000 will need to use the same ATM machine more than once and thus generate more income for the bank.

Those who say banks do not give out loans should be wary of such comments. What of those buy generator/laptop/car/fridge-freezer promos? Or is their tendency to loan to people with steady income a crime? Will anyone loan out funds to a butcher in Bodija market or a bus conductor in Iyana Ipaja? Is the present boom in the Nigerian property market not being fuelled by mortgages from banks? The only issue is that a teacher in a secondary might not be able to access the loans.

Afterall even in the West, the fact that you have a good credit record in US is of no matter if you move to UK or Germany. You need to start afresh.

But going back to the real issue, investing in bank stocks is a wise choice. Take your time to analyse the stocks. The charges turn to more profits for the banks and thus more dividends for the investor

In banking stocks i would recommend:
First Bank,
GTB Plc
and to a lesser extent
Zenith bank.

Talking of charges, how come a manufacturing company's stock price rises when it lays off?

The first two have a track record of good corporate benefits performance, steady even if small growth.
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by PAPAMODE(m): 9:28am On Aug 18, 2009
Forex is a big money spinner for any institution. Western Union charges £5 to send up to £100 and that is among the cheapest rates. Most banks even here in the UK will charge much more. However if there is no legal need for Fx deals there will be no opportunity for round-tripping. If we Nigerians imported less of basic needs then there will less loopholes for it. The CBN recently said you do not apply for BTA and PTA at the same time. I know of businessmen who would be hurt by these. These self employed people arrange vacations abroad and also write their (spurious ) partners to send them a (spurious tongue) letter of invitation by which they can take out up to $9,000.00 at a time.
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by lisaB: 11:29am On Aug 18, 2009
helo!!!!!
banks makes moni from dead pple,who no get person to claim the moni. cool
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by Seun(m): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2009
Abeem: Mr. Bentley, I think you are trying to pull a fast one on the readers by portraying the blog you created in your capacity as an image launderer for your client, Tony Elumelu as a web site purportedly created by him. Anyway, I think Tony is a smart and astute banker. He is a great leader. He deserves all accolades that he is getting.

One thing that struck me most was his use of Blue Ocean Strategy (hitherto unknown concept in business strategy) to venture into new territories which other competitors have not yet tap into. What I have in mind is the development of bank products to an untapped customer base - to win the patronage of Youth Corpers. It did not surprise me because the Blue Ocean Strategy as a concept was formulated and introduced by two professors associated with Harvard - W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne and Tony too was an alumnus of Harvard.
Re: How Do Banks Make Their Money? by ayobase(m): 11:58am On Aug 19, 2009
naija banks?
they fit sell someone
in order to make profit
if possible!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn How To Shop Cheaply From US Stores / Interview: How I Started & Grew My Tissue Production Company In 5 Years - Eze CJ / UBA Wins “the Best In Digital Banking” At Interswitch Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.