Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,983 members, 7,832,322 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury (35000 Views)

Man Blames His Village People For His Brother's Injury. Graphic Photos / Bennet Omalu, Nigerian Doctor Wins US Highest Medical Award / Bennet Omalu Receives Highest American Medical Association Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by blueeyes1: 9:41pm On May 08, 2016
hurricaneChris:
It has a film called Concussion. Acted by Will Smith. Very interesting movie
Glad to see u here hon.
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by calliope(f): 9:44pm On May 08, 2016
Trina0936:

See the problem with Igbos. They even discriminate against themselves. Why not just be happy and contented that he is an Igbo? Smh undecided
Biko a Bu kwa m nwa ada mbaise! So don't quote me!
What tribe segregates itself from itself? Only the Ibos does Dat,
It's a pity

4 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by kotladfdf: 9:44pm On May 08, 2016
They did great task.
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by koning: 9:47pm On May 08, 2016
bigfrancis21:

He's from Anambra state actually and he had his first degree at UNN.

I think what 'meccuno' was trying to say is that Dr. Omalu is an Enugu brought up. He is a coal city boy( Nwa 042). Attended FGC Enugu. But his ancestral lineage is Anambra.

6 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Larryton(m): 9:51pm On May 08, 2016
Nice one
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by calliope(f): 9:51pm On May 08, 2016
bigfrancis21:

He's from Anambra state actually and he had his first degree at UNN.
Does it make any difference? He reps the Igbos, nothing else's counts..

6 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nigga44: 9:53pm On May 08, 2016
Trina0936:

See the problem with Igbos. They even discriminate against themselves. Why not just be happy and contented that he is an Igbo? Smh undecided
He just corrected the guy innocently.

Wetin dey there?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 08, 2016
calliope:

Does it make any different? He reps the Igbos, nothing else's counts..
* coughs* Err.......I believe you meant to say 'difference' wink
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nigga44: 9:54pm On May 08, 2016
calliope:

What tribe segregates itself from itself? Only the Ibos does Dat,
It's a pity
Just shut up your mouth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by calliope(f): 9:56pm On May 08, 2016
Nigga44:
Just shut up your mouth
Why should I? I said a painful truth.

5 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by calliope(f): 9:58pm On May 08, 2016
Trina0936:
* coughs* Err.......I believe you meant to say 'difference' wink
Oops my bad. Noted.

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 08, 2016
Nigga44:
He just corrected the guy innocently.

Wetin dey there?
Something dey there! The yoruba lady's thread that was also honoured on FP didn't have any one looking for her state of origin but when it's Igbos turn,wahala! Oga I said in my previous post not to quote me but you still did! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by YaksonFCA(m): 9:59pm On May 08, 2016
Impressivw
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 08, 2016
calliope:

Why should I? I said a painful truth.
No mind am. Truth is Bitter! lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by IceMan85(m): 10:01pm On May 08, 2016
I love that film concussion, especially on how Will smith was forming igbos accent

2 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by koning: 10:05pm On May 08, 2016
calliope:

You are very correct here. I have noticed that Yoruba's never talk about state of origin. Good or bad news, it's the entire tribe that takes the credit. Igbos on the other hand always want to claim the good news for their various states of origin even when the person involved does not know his or her home town(Igbos born and raised in Lagos and outside the country)

4 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Obinoscopy(m): 10:06pm On May 08, 2016
Nice one. Congrats to Dr Omalu. Have seen the movie: "Concussion". Very nice movie. This is the only Hollywood movie I've seen that promote the image of Nigeria. Every Nigerian should see the movie.
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by M4gunners: 10:09pm On May 08, 2016
He didn't sale drug, they quickly rush to call him a Nigeria. Ndi ala.That Man is a biafran.Weldon Oga ayin.

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by ridwanayo(m): 10:09pm On May 08, 2016
These are one of the good people of igbo's,thank God he doesn't stay in d Biafra land he wud av been pushing drug.

Congrats Igbos on this one

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by bigfrancis21: 10:14pm On May 08, 2016
calliope:

Trina0936:

koning:

I think what 'meccuno' was trying to say is that Dr. Omalu is an Enugu brought up. He is a coal city boy( Nwa 042). Attended FGC Enugu. But his ancestral lineage is Anambra.

Of course, he reps the entire Igbos and Nigeria as a whole and that is what's important. However, I was only correcting the statement that he is from Enugu state when he is actually from Anambra state, to avoid false information spreading out unnecessarily. Being an Enugu or 042 boy is a different statement from 'one being from Enugu state'. I am 042 boy myself but I am not from Enugu. If anything, you guys should be correcting him and not pointing me out for correcting him.

And, no this is not discrimination whatsoever, Incase you've forgotten the meaning of discrimination, please pick up a dictionary and re-inform yourself on what it is.

You would not feel happy if a Nigerian won a world medal tomorrow and other African countries are claiming him to be theirs because we are all Africans when he is actually Nigerian, would you?

All I am saying is in as much as we celebrate one of our own, we should all strive to keep records straight for the sake of posterity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 08, 2016
koning:

You are very correct here. I have noticed that Yoruba's never talk about state of origin. Good or bad news, it's the entire tribe that takes the credit. Igbos on the other hand always want to claim the good news for their various states of origin even when the person involved does not know his or her home town(Igbos born and raised in Lagos and outside the country)
Glad you also feel my pain! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 08, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Of course, he reps the entire Igbos and Nigeria as a whole and that is what's important. However, I was only correcting the statement that he is from Enugu state when he is actually from Anambra state, to avoid false information spreading out unnecessarily. If anything, you guys should be correcting him and not pointing me out for correcting him.

And, no this is not discrimination whatsoever, Incase you've forgotten the meaning of discrimination, please pick up a dictionary and re-inform yourself.

You would not feel happy if a Nigerian won a world medal tomorrow and other African countries are claiming him to be theirs because we are all Africans when he is actually Nigerian, would you?

All I am saying is in as much as we celebrate one of our own, we should all strive to keep records straight for the sake of posterity.
Oga hapu ihia hu inako biko! What does country have to do with tribe? That's completely different and you know it. Charity begins at home! Stop segregating Igbo states before we can talk of Nigeria and other African countries! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Joygalore(f): 10:19pm On May 08, 2016
Proudly Igbo kiss

NCAN, Ohio and Stockholm branch

2 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 08, 2016
Very nice! smiley
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by bigfrancis21: 10:25pm On May 08, 2016
Trina0936:

Oga hapu ihia hu inako biko! What does country have to do with tribe? That's completely different and you know it. Charity begins at home! Stop segregating Igbo states before we can talk of Nigeria and other African countries! lipsrsealed

All this because somebody made a false statement that he is from Enugu state and I corrected him that he is actually from Anambra? If you are averse to mentioning state of origin, which I am too, don't you think you should be correcting meccuno for actually mentioning state in the first place? undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by ayindejimmy(m): 10:25pm On May 08, 2016
A movie was actually made about him recently: Concussion starring Will Smith

2 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by DrOladipo: 10:26pm On May 08, 2016
Someone with medical background will surely enjoy Concussion...... 'Need is not weak, need is need' Will Smith in Concussion! the moral lesson is there is always light at the end of the tunnel!

1 Like

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by highskies(m): 10:29pm On May 08, 2016
Seen the movie Concussion. I so admire his zeal, resilience and he is indeed an intellect. I dove my hat Sirrrrr

broseme:
Nigerians continue to get all the recognition they deserve abroad, the latest being the famous doctor, Bennet Ifekandu Omalu, the man who discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE) after he conducted autopsy on former NFL player Mike Webster.

Yesterday, Ifekandu took to Twitter to announce that he has received a honorary Doctor of Science degree from the Xavier University in Louisiana in the United States, for massive contributions to science.

Bennet Omalu ‎wrote.....

'Got Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Xavier University of Louisiana today. I am deeply grateful and thankful'.

The school detailed his battles with the NFL which tried to discredit his earlier discoveries, Omalu’s refusal to back down, and finally gaining the attention of Hollywood’s Ridley Scott, who proceeded to work on a feature film telling Omalu’s stories with Will Smith starring as the doctor.

Last December, Concussion, the true life story of Omalu’s battles hit the cinemas, with hopes that it would draw attention to the link between the football head injuries and early onset of dementia that could lead to death, and more importantly, how this has continued to be a bone of contention within the NFL. Finally, in March, the NFL admitted that there’s link between football and brain damage.

Now, Omalu is gaining all the recognition he deserves, and as he said on Twitter, “Got Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Xavier University of Louisiana today,” he wrote, adding, “I am deeply grateful and thankful.”

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/05/nigerias-bennet-omalu-gets-honorary.html
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by calliope(f): 10:29pm On May 08, 2016
Trina0936:

Hafu that guy, O na ako Ajambene grin

3 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by BAILMONEY: 10:32pm On May 08, 2016
CHAI SUPERSTAR1 WILL COMMIT SUICIDE THIS NIGHT O grin
Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by koning: 10:34pm On May 08, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Of course, he reps the entire Igbos and Nigeria as a whole and that is what's important. However, I was only correcting the statement that he is from Enugu state when he is actually from Anambra state, to avoid false information spreading out unnecessarily. Being an Enugu or 042 boy is a different statement from 'one being from Enugu state'. I am 042 boy myself but I am not from Enugu. If anything, you guys should be correcting him and not pointing me out for correcting him.

And, no this is not discrimination whatsoever, Incase you've forgotten the meaning of discrimination, please pick up a dictionary and re-inform yourself on what it is.

You should have let it slide. There was no need to correct him. I'm not even sure the guy that posted the comment is Igbo. He must have heard Dr. Omalu somewhere talking about growing up at Enugu, hence his comment. Like Omalu, Chimamanda Adiche always talks about growing up in Nsukka and Enugu. To most non Igbo listners, that's where she comes from. The place where you were born or raised has the most influence on who you become, not where your ancestors come from. Most people don't really care about that anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Bennet Ifekandu-Omalu Honored By Xavier University For Discovering Brain Injury by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 08, 2016
i once created a tread for the movie....and mods where blind to see it..smh for una

https://www.nairaland.com/2984838/concussion-movie-smith-potraying-igbo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Scarcity Of Protective Tools Hits Lagos Hospitals / Before And After Photos Of A Burn Survivor Nigerian Lady / Doctors In The House Please Help Me Answer This Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.