Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:48 AM

Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? (520 Views)

Islamic Council: We Tolerated Christianisation But CAN Is Paranoid About Islam / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode / Insecurity: Lagos Places Security Agencies On Red Alert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? by EverestdeBliu(m): 7:00pm On May 08, 2016
Around 7:45am On my street two days ago,a man in his late 30s or early 40s drew out a dagger for a 15years old girl and her older sister(who came to inquire),on the ground that the lil' girl used some inaudible insultive words on him the day before. Huck! What's it with our Northern brothers? Could this be a form of culture or an age long tradition of the Hausa//fulani nation of West Africa and Northern Nigeria in particular.
Apparently,most Hausa/Fulani men residing in rural areas,suburbs and even in big towns,have daggers tied to their waists or cutlasses dangling freely from their shoulders. The bikemen(okada), the herdsmen, kiosk owners,water sellers (mai ruwa), itinerant hawkers, tea seller(mai shayi) and individuals. This feat poise a serious security threat to their immediate environment and Persons dealing with this lots; as their interactions with them are however shrouded with fear and caution. Because this Northern lads often retrieve their dagger from its hidding place at the slightest provocation, or sheer failure to rightly discern the content of a statement; apparently misunderstanding a statement. I was indeed baffled when a Northern man reacted angrily for being called an "@boki",@boki means "my friend",why then was he angry? Puzzling right? Ain't we in the twenty-first century?,why are some set of individuals allowed to bear "dangerous weapons" wherever they go? should such uncivilised act be cordoned?
Mynd44 Lalasticlala Seun
Re: Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? by Flexherbal(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2016
It should not be cordoned, at all.
Re: Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? by Nobody: 2:42am On May 09, 2016
It's a throwback from their militant ethnicity. It does not happen only in Nigeria, even in India and England the Sikhs are well revered for their custom: males of the ethnic group are allowed to carry knives and draw blood with it whenever they feel insulted. In South Africa even after centuries signaling the end of inter-tribal war the Zulus are still known to band together and draw spears, cudgels etc whenever they feel slighted. I guess some customs are better retained over centuries than others, it's not their fault westernization eroded majority of others'.
Re: Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? by M4gunners: 2:53am On May 09, 2016
Op in your post (the beginning ),there's no proof that the story you are telling us happened.
However, everything you said (at the ending part of the Post,needs to be taken seriously.
Re: Hausa/fulani Dagger: Paranoid Or Insecurity? by chriskosherbal(m): 3:39am On May 09, 2016
Hmmm serious.

(1) (Reply)

The Pathetic Story Of Sunday Tsado,who Died Because “he Is A Nobody”, / Someone Should Enlighten Me About This / Fayose Condemns Petrol Price Increment, Says “FG Insensitive To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.