Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola (10972 Views)

Stella Oduah Disgraced | Tunde Fashola Hailed / Why The Marriage Between Bola Tinubu & GMB Is Falling Apart -Musa Abdullahi / Buhari With Babagida, Tinubu, And Obasanjo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by riyenews(m): 4:47pm On Aug 13, 2009
BETWEEN EKO O NI BAJE AND JEUN SOKE

riyenews@.com

Lagos state Governor Babatunde Fashola has a slogan; Eko o Ni baje, roughly translated to mean that “May Lagos never be ruined”. It has become a popular mantra on the lips of Lagosians replacing Bola Tinubu’s “Jeun Soke” (Chop up). But many people have been curious and speculative about what prompted Fashola to coin the phrase when he campaigned for the Lagos state gubernatorial office in 2007. Was it the absence or poor implementation of policies and programmes required for rapid socio-economic development in Lagos in the last 12 years before 2007 that caused Fashola, a bona fide Lagos boy (Omo Eko), to come to the inevitable and gloomy conclusion that Lagos was gradually losing its glory and vibrancy? Why did Fashola opt to discontinue with the “Jeun Soke” hymn of his predecessor and mentor Bola Tinubu?

To find out what informed Fashola’s slogan, it is important to first of all identify the managers of “Lagos affairs” in the last 12 years prior to May 2007, when Fashola was sworn in as Governor and determine if they are responsible or not for the decline of the Centre of Excellence. We know that in 8 of these 12 years, Lagos state was governed by Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, while the remaining 4 years was split between two military administrators, namely Brigadiers Oyinlola and Marwa. We are also aware that military regimes are not accountable to anyone. Therefore for the purpose of this write up, it is unnecessary to look at their records, but to conclude that the military administrators were part of the reasons why Eko Ti Fe Ma baje (Lagos is slipping into decay).

However, since these two military officers were in office for a combined period that is just half of Tinubu’s two terms of eight years, one cannot but place a substantial part of Eko Ti Fe Ma baje fully at the doorsteps of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu. It was the Jeun Soke era that was so much loved by the miscreants of Lagos. Democratically elected Tinubu, more than any other of the previous managers of Lagos state, is responsible for the decay and drift that Fashola has been addressing since 2007.

Are the many problems confronting Lagos state today the direct consequence of 8 years of inept governance, corruption, indiscipline and governance model that encouraged selfish interests? The answer is yes. But to play the Devil’s advocate, it can be argued that Fashola coined the phrase as a campaign slogan to convince Lagosians not to allow the PDP win the governorship seat so that a PDP government will not destroy Lagos and not because he felt that the overall effect of Tinubu’s Jeun Soke on Lagosians was the inculcation of a decadent and covetous mind-set among the people which became counter productive. Therefore, although the argument may sound reasonable, it is quite untenable. The reality is that prior to 2007; those who administered the affairs of Lagos were already fast asleep at the switch after eight years of Jeun Soke.

Here are the facts about Lagos before 2007. Transparency was a scarce commodity while terror was in ample supply in Lagos. Lagosians silently suffered untold hardship in the hands of a ham-fisted government. Lagos became the centre of mediocrity and deceit. Social and recreational activities were at an all time low because miscreants known as area boys were in control of the streets. A man who, for all intents and purposes, had no ethical justification to hold any public office, even as dog catcher, given the unanswered questions about his academic qualifications, was governor. Here was a governor who was encouraging the Jeun Soke philosophy with so much gusto. Social miscreants were boldly telling Lagosians that their boss (Tinubu) had given them the go ahead to Jeun Soke. Jeun Soke was about individual prosperity at the expense of the general well being. In that kind of environment, it was no surprise that Lagos experienced great decay.

The only thing the Tinubu administration had going for it was effective propaganda machinery that was first class and “Jeun Soke”. Therefore the notion that Fashola was somehow referring to the opposition Political Party (in this case the PDP) that had never formed a government in the state, when he uttered that slogan is not only irrational, but also downright disingenuous. The man was looking inwards. Jeun Soke was destroying Lagos while Eko o Ni Baje seeks to repair that damage.

But the reality is that for Eko not to Baje, many Lagosians must unavoidably get hurt. Therefore Jeun Soke had to be discontinued. Fashola recognised this and as a pragmatic leader, he was not afraid to act. His predecessor Bola; the Asiwaju of Lagos area boys wanted to be loved by area boys and alayes. So he allowed miscreants to roam freely all over the metropolis. For eight years they were everywhere extorting money from Lagosians with all kinds of names like 54 Kiniun (54 Lions) designed to instil fear in the minds of Lagosians.

Tinubu loved the area boys of Lagos more than the common people and they loved him in return. Their well being and happiness was one of the top priorities of his administration. When Fashola began campaigning for votes in 2007 with the Eko o Ni Baje slogan, Tinubu did not realize that his successor was implicitly telling him that he (Alaye Tinubu) was at the top of the list of those who were destroying Lagos. Fashola was also sending a heads up to Tinubu’s co travellers like the area boys that the days of Jeun Soke are over. It was a clever message to Asiwaju from Fashola.

The truth is that Fashola has reversed many policies of the Tinubu administration so that Eko o Ni Baje. The street traders along Oshodi, Mushin, Lagos/Badagry expressways and other major streets in Lagos will attest to this. The area boys, who extort money from these traders, can also testify that the fear of Fashola is the beginning of wisdom in Lagos. As a result, coupled with a well equipped and incentivised police force, the crime rate has gone down considerably in Lagos state. Road users will confirm that driving through Oshodi and Mushin is no longer a nightmare. When Fashola gives an ultimatum Lagosians comply with automatic alacrity and military precision. Fashola has no military background, but somehow he has managed to do, without fanfare, what gun totting boys in khaki and Asiwaju Tinubu could not do in Lagos for more than 12 years.

Lagos is green under Fashola while it was dark brown during the dog days of Tinubu. Lush and green fields are suddenly springing up in open public areas and under bridges that hitherto were dusty and full of refuse and hideouts for miscreants to Jeun Soke. On road construction and rehabilitation, Tinubu did not discriminate. He refused to patch up roads in Victoria Island, Ikeja and Ikoyi as much as he ignored them in Ajegunle and Mushin. There are roads in high brow Lekki Peninsula that are as bad as what one finds at Olodi Apapa and Ijora Badia. While Tinubu kept the true figures of Lagos state financial position close to his chest, especially the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR), also known as “Jeun Si Apo” (Chop into your pocket), Fashola has released the figures periodically in the spirit of real transparency.

To be sure, there are still many problems confronting Lagos which Fashola has not even began to tackle, but to be fair, no one really expects him to clean up in two years the rot left behind by eight years of Tinubu’s government. It will take many years to reverse the extensive damage of Jeun Soke in Lagos state.

Fashola’s commendable governance model is poles apart from Tinubu that it is a breath of fresh air. Lagosians now have a ready reply to their Governor when he says Eko o Ni baje. They respond by saying “Laye! Eko Baje ti” (Lagos can never be destroyed). Jeun Soke has been forgotten and consigned for ever into the trash bin of history. May Lagosians never experience Jeun Soke again Amen. How about Eko O Ni Baje? What do you think?
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by nex(m): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2009
I don't like Tinubu one bit. In fact, I hate his Okpolo eyes so much. I don't know what finally happened to about N4 billion of Lagos money he invested in Econet, and I know several properties in Magodo GRA which he registered under the name of Barr. Bisi Adegbuyi. I also know he had a hand in the death of Funsho Williams in order to retain Lagos state in his grip. We all know that if Funsho had lived, Lagos would have become PDP West Headquarters today. Then of course the man re-glorified area boys to the extent that one area boy could claim ownership of an entire community like Ajah, killing and maiming several law abiding citizens in the process.

All this said, I will tell you that anybody who claims Tinubu did nothing in Lagos is a very demonic soul. Look at Pen Cinema area. Remember how Awolowo Road was. Talk about Kudirat Abiola Way. Talk about the whole of Osapa paved. Igbo-Efon roads paved and connected to the electric power grid. Talk about LAWMA and what refuse collection has become today. Do you know Akin Adesola street? Adeyemo Alakija nko? See LTV and Eko FM performing at par with any other channel or station in the country. City Mall is there. See how many foreign investors the man brought into Lagos.

If you want to kill a dog, do it for the bad name it has. Don't come and add a bad surname to it for no good reason.

I know Tinubu is an extremely bad person. But don't say he didn't do his job at all. He tried and I know he would have done better, It's just the drugs that him and Muiz keep taking that prevents them from maximizing their potential.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 9:06am On Aug 14, 2009
riyenews:

BETWEEN EKO O NI BAJE AND JEUN SOKE
However, since these two military officers were in office for a combined period that is just half of Tinubu’s two terms of eight years, one cannot but place a substantial part of Eko Ti Fe Ma baje fully at the doorsteps of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu. It was the Jeun Soke era that was so much loved by the miscreants of Lagos. Democratically elected Tinubu, more than any other of the previous managers of Lagos state, is responsible for the decay and drift that Fashola has been addressing since 2007.
Oh, you don’t say?

riyenews:
Are the many problems confronting Lagos state today the direct consequence of 8 years of inept governance, corruption, indiscipline and governance model that encouraged selfish interests? The answer is yes.
Ofcourse!!

riyenews:
But to play the Devil’s The reality is that prior to 2007; those who administered the affairs of Lagos were already fast asleep at the switch after eight years of Jeun Soke.

Ofcourse!!!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by PROJECT: 2:24pm On Aug 14, 2009
i will never forgive tinubu and i know he is a demon but i dont fear him,i only pray for fashola and those with a good heart for lagos,am niger deltan but love lagos as my home , tinubu was the greatest fraud that ever happened to lagos, a democrat indeed
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Edoji: 2:38pm On Aug 14, 2009
Tinubu has gone back to mend with Fashola because of the realisation that Lagosians are ready to do anything for Fashola even if he switches to another political party in what observers have termed the battle for 2011.
Lagosians have come to view Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) as a trained legal mind with unusual dextrousnesses and quintessential ability to do what he wants to do. A commentator observes: Fashola represents the "light" of an ideal democracy and good, effiecient leadership/governen ce we desire in Nigeria. but Tinubu as a greedy man, http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1304:tinubu-begs-fashola-&catid=36:omoba&Itemid=59
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Nezan(m): 2:40pm On Aug 14, 2009
Tinubu is greedy and a talkative angry
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by muhsin(m): 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nezan:

Tinubu is greedy and a talkative angry

Hey, man. You here? How are you doing? Hope cool.

To the OP,

Fashola is more initiative and creative than Tinubu.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by ajibawealt(m): 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
I wouldn't say I hate Tinubu, but I never felt is impact as a lagosian throughout his reign for 8 years. Unlike Fashola who's impacted lagosians lives positively. Only if we can have politician like Fashola, Nigeria would be a better place to live.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2009
Tinubu's 8 years compares to Yar adua's in Katsina. Period!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by richkids1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 14, 2009
this is very interesting for you to be comparing MR BOLA TINUBU with OUR present GOVERNOR
well, everything is right.
www.legalinternetmoney..com
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by sherrylo: 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2009
Please leave Tinubu and Fashola to alone.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by hilli666(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
Comparing Tinubu to Fashola, is like compareing a peeble to Olumo Rock. It is like comparing a ripple to a tsunami, it is like comparing Abacha to Obama.
I can go on, but you get the picture.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by matiltomd(f): 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2009
Rubbish, i personally think this poster is Tinubu's boy and this was actually posted just to cause beef between Daddy T and Bobo Fash, i think the person would like to know Bobo Fash's stand, come 2011 (but honestly,no shaking for Bobo Fash, )if you care to know, wink wink wink

But come to think of it,difference between Tinubu and Fashola?
That's like comparing Angel Gabriel to the Devil, grin grin grin grin
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by ikeyman00(m): 4:17pm On Aug 14, 2009
kolo

Tinubu's 8 years compares to Yar adua's in Katsina. Period

interestin!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by qoride1(m): 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2009
This post raises a lot of issues. First, i seriously doubt this poster is a real omo- Eko. Otherwise, he/she should have realized that Eko ti baje tipe tipe (Lagos was ruined a long time ago). The infrastructural decay in Lagos started right after Jakande's administration. From Mudasiru in 1984 to Marwa in 1999, only Raji Rasaki and Otedola did something meaningful during their tenure.

Although i agree with you that Fashola's two years knocks Tinubu's eight years, i think Tinubu started something great. He put all necessary tools in place to ensure a very effective Fashola administration. People seem to forget that without Tinubu, Fashola will not be in Alausa today. Millions of Lagosians did not support Tinubu's move to plant an unknown outsider as the next governor of Lagos. But looking at it today, the outsider status of Fashola is whats helping him rule effectively. I strongly doubt Tinubu or even Engr. Funsho Williams would have been able to clear building on Lagos- Badagry express way. Tinubu would not want to tarnish the legacy he has built during his NADECO days. And lets remember that Tinubu had serious legal issues questioning his legitimacy as Governor of Lagos state. I feel like his biggest problem was promising more than he could deliver. But again, tell me a politician that is bit guilty of that?

In my own opinion, Tinubu was good and Fashola is Better.  And btw Eko o ni Baje, Oju o ni ti Eko, etc  are very old slogans real Lagosians have been saying for years!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by adebanjou: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
did they not say they are in drug? confirm
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Akanniade(m): 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2009
FYI eko o ni baje was Tinubu's slogan b4 leaving office. Fashola is only finishing what Tinubu started although he is doin in a fantastic way. While i will not say Tinubu is a saint, he is not a demon either. He replaced himself with someone better. All Obj could replace himself with was a sickly president with a dull v.p
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by meAdigun(m): 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2009
I could not agree more. Lagos as a Nigerian state and Fashola as a Governor can never dismiss the name TINUBU. He may be corrupt in some ways but still he is a magician who survived the pressure of PDP (especially that of OBJ and his dog EFCC). Mind you, Lagos was the only AC state at the beginning. Imagine OBJ against Fashola (Being a SAN is different from being a slick politician). I can say without Tinubu there is no Fashola in the first place. The BRT buses started with Tinubu on his way out. Fashola is just (to a large extent) more active, transparent and straight than Tinubu but without the political talent. Fashola, more to why he is better than Tinubu, doesn't just spend lavishly.
I'm still worried, though, about who would replace Fashola on his way out!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by babapupa: 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2009
Love or hate Tinubu, Lagos is not under PDP rule because of Tinubu,

The man fought for Lagos and won and without his good foresight, Fashola and all the great transformation going on in Lagos go forever remain a dream.

Fashola is a unique leader, sometimes I wonder if dude is a Nigerian. He practically pulled Lagos from the edge of abyss.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by oge4real(f): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2009
The difference is clear like 7up!
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2009
The way some people talk e dey make chills run down my spine. . . . .

Akanniade:

FYI eko o ni baje was Tinubu's slogan b4 leaving office. Fashola is only finishing what Tinubu started although he is doin in a fantastic way. While i will not say Tinubu is a saint, he is not a demon either. He replaced himself with someone better. All Obj could replace himself with was a sickly president with a dull v.p

You well so? So you mean Fashola was not ELECTED by the people at all? It was all Tinubu's doing? in a Democracy?
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by ikeyman00(m): 7:25pm On Aug 14, 2009
oduduwa with the

trait lipsrsealed

feel free to quote me
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by GALANTRICH(m): 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2009
yeah,in as much as i hate to sing the praises of fashola or downgrade the years of tinubu,i would like to say thank you to tinubu for paying  my secondary school fees and my neco exam.in fashola's case,i am yet to feel his impact as an individual,but surely i have eyes and i can see everything he is doing.but isnt it the  world bank's money he has been  spending?tinubu is a human just like us and very much a nigerian.i have a picture[tinubu] of him and alameiseigha which they took together when alams came to lagos for a working visit,surely,anyone associated with alams isnt clean,
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by babapupa: 7:44pm On Aug 14, 2009
oduduwa with the

trait Lips sealed

feel free to quote me

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/orabuchi/2006/3erosion_calamity.htm

These Kidnappings And The Destruction Of Igbo Nation

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/12526/55

Don't worry about our traits or whatever your hateful mind spits out, @ least we're not washing away like sand sand. All this ya hate and obsession with Odua people na serious misplacement of priorities. Your town and villages are in ruins, your people in diaspora are not gonna be visiting this December because you guys are gonna kidnap and kill them.

Don't you think you need to worry less because you have bigger fish to fry in your communities?
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by desgiezd(m): 8:00pm On Aug 14, 2009
I really can not understand why there is so much hatred for Tinubu. We all know that infrastructural decay in Lagos has been there for quite a long time. Tinubu tried his best and he achieved a lot. A visit to the whole of Isale Eko including the Central Business District and many other parts of Lagos will convince you. While he was doing his bit, he was also laying the foundation upon which Fashola is building today. The job is relatively easier for Fashola and he is able to move faster because the foundation for all these have been laid by Tinubu. Take for instance, the BRT Bus Scheme, the special lanes for the buses were being laid at the time Tinubu's tenure expired. In fact the buses had already arrived and many of them were packed at some  places like Ketu - near the Fruits Market, Old Toll Gate - near The Motorways Centre and also at Berger Bus Stop - near Lagos/Ogun boundary at Ojodu. Doing his job on one hand and also keeping PDP plus OBJ at bay is not an easy thing. Someone just mentioned now that Tinubu paid his WAEC/NECO exam fees, this he did for all who sat for exams in Lagos without discrimination. I have a lot of respect for Tinubu irrespective of what anyone says.

I'll also like to add that "Jeun Soke" which was Tinubu's slogan in 2003 elections only came up because Tinubu was AD's governorship candidate. At the time there were a number of parties participating in the elections and on the ballot box, AD's logo was number one. It was to tell the people who were not lettered that they should thumb print the logo that was at the very top and not the way the poster has painted it.

I did not write all these to take anything away from Fashola at all. A man I also love so much for he is a mega achiever whose ability to multi-task is amazing but we should realise that while he is busy doing his job of governing Lagos, Tinubu is overseeing the politics aspect of the whole thing so Fash is not distracted. This is a model that other states do not have. Fashola himself has given gratitude to Tinubu several times for the foundation that he has laid.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by ikeyman00(m): 8:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
^^^
babapupa
yes u are right

i think that sh it right there na big wahala

no igboman denys that

so u are right my friend

thanks for that

but in a situation they are more of concern on lagos-abuja rail when the lives are in danger

then u wonder
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by senani(m): 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2009
baba fash my able guvnor , and less not forget fashola had been running lagos for tinubu for like 2 years before he became governor, while tinubu was busy being the politician and dealing with all the wahala that comes with politics.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Aug 14, 2009
desgiezd:

I really can not understand why there is so much hatred for Tinubu. We all know that infrastructural decay in Lagos has been there for quite a long time. Tinubu tried his best and he achieved a lot. A visit to the whole of Isale Eko including the Central Business District and many other parts of Lagos will convince you. While he was doing his bit, he was also laying the foundation upon which Fashola is building today. The job is relatively easier for Fashola and he is able to move faster because the foundation for all these have been laid by Tinubu. Take for instance, the BRT Bus Scheme, the special lanes for the buses were being laid at the time Tinubu's tenure expired. In fact the buses had already arrived and many of them were packed at some  places like Ketu - near the Fruits Market, Old Toll Gate - near The Motorways Centre and also at Berger Bus Stop - near Lagos/Ogun boundary at Ojodu. Doing his job on one hand and also keeping PDP plus OBJ at bay is not an easy thing. Someone just mentioned now that Tinubu paid his WAEC/NECO exam fees, this he did for all who sat for exams in Lagos without discrimination. I have a lot of respect for Tinubu irrespective of what anyone says.

I'll also like to add that "Jeun Soke" which was Tinubu's slogan in 2003 elections only came up because Tinubu was AD's governorship candidate. At the time there were a number of parties participating in the elections and on the ballot box, AD's logo was number one. It was to tell the people who were not lettered that they should thumb print the logo that was at the very top and not the way the poster has painted it.

I did not write all these to take anything away from Fashola at all. A man I also love so much for he is a mega achiever whose ability to multi-task is amazing but we should realise that while he is busy doing his job of governing Lagos, Tinubu is overseeing the politics aspect of the whole thing so Fash is not distracted. This is a model that other states do not have. Fashola himself has given gratitude to Tinubu several times for the foundation that he has laid.

Tinubu tried for 8 solid years and could not finish BRT or the lanes, or even build on the many things MARWA and the other did before him? COME ON!!! Please give me a break!! The only way you can convince me this makes sense is to apply the same reasoning to Yar Adua's 8 years as Governor during the same time Tinubu was.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by desgiezd(m): 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2009
If you come in as governor, would you do all your programmes in one fell swoop? I live in Lagos and I know what I am talking about and its not my business to convince you or anybody.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Aug 14, 2009
desgiezd:

If you come in as governor, would you do all your programmes in one fell swoop? I live in Lagos and I know what I am talking about and its not my business to convince you or anybody.

shocked shocked shocked  [size=14pt]8 years which is about (8 * 365)=  2 thousand, 9 hundred and 20 days, is one fell swoop?

Almost Two solid terms is one fell swoop!!!

[/size]

If your answer is yes, then why consider Yar adua's 8 years as governor at all!!! We should just brush that aside, right?
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by desgiezd(m): 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2009
Perhaps you dont understand my point of view. I never mentioned that this man did not achieve any other thing apart from the BRT Scheme, I only picked that as an example. "In one fell swoop" as I used it here means that he prioritise his activities and by the way, a lot of LASG officials travelled to many parts of the world trying to study various models of bus transportation before settling for the BRT and you would also agree that it takes a long time to raise finance for such a huge project.
Re: The Difference Between Bola Tinubu And Tunde Fashola by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
My point is, Marwa, in much the same way you can claim Tinubu did do some work in Lagos, you can also say Marwa and Oyinlola did same too. In fact, Marwa did a lot more than Oyinlola and I know that for sure. To claim that Tinubu met Lagos in a mess is ludicrous.  I know when Tinubu became governor. Lagos was NOT in chaos, neither was it a hell hole.  I remember Marwa was working on the roads in Lagos, huge construction deal that was really on it's way to being completed before Tinubu came in. It was actually during Tinubu's years that the State seemed to decay even much more. So, please, let us stop making up excuses for that man.

I know we have this habit of assuming all millitary governors cared less since they were not really accountable to anyone, but it is undeniable that Lagos has been the exception to the rule. Marwa worked hard and did less than one term. I was in Ikorodu then and even Ikorodu roads saw a new light. I mean we had good drainage, good roads and cleaner markets to boast of, courtesy of Marwa, but that went to hell during Tinubu's time.

8 Solid years to go abroad to study what? When we already have capable and already trained Nigerians who could have fit in to those positions from day one with the knowhow on how to build Lagos up? No, I do not agree with such a program and I do not agree that it takes 8 years for such. At the end of the day, what I saw was a governor who had so many excuses and not much to show for his 8 years on the seat, that's it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Speech At Reception Organised For Chibok Girls / Presidency Wants HSBC To Return Nigerian Stolen Assets / Believe It Or Not, Atiku Will Be The President-elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.