Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,920 members, 7,810,533 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Rashidi Yekini's Mother's Interview - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini's Mother's Interview (655 Views)

Rashidi Yekini's Mother Wins N2m From WWTBM Game Show [photo] / Before And After Photos Of Rashidi Yekini’s Mother’s House... / Rashidi Yekini’s Mother Sells Bread For Survival In Kwara (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rashidi Yekini's Mother's Interview by Epatty(f): 8:44pm On May 09, 2016
– Rashidi Yekini is the highest goal-scorer for the Super Eagles of Nigeria – He passed on four years ago after suffering from depression – A good samaritan gave his aged mother some money to start business – Alhaja Yekini cried for help, she said she has been abandoned and would not want people to kill cows when she is dead, instead, they should help while she is still alive Four years after the death of former Nigerian football legend, Rashidi Yekini, it has been confirmed that his mother, Sikiratu Yekini now sells bread, soft drinks and sachet waters as a means of survival. Recall that NAIJ.com travelled to her hometown three months ago when she could no longer fend for herself, some good samaritan gave her some money to do business after the report. Please find a link to our previous story here. Rashidi Yekini died on May 4 2012 in Ibadan, and his remains was taken to his hometown, Irra in Oyun local government, Kwara State where he was interred the same day according to Islamic rites. It was later confirmed by Naij.com Sports that apart from the house in Ibadan (Oyo State) and the one in Ijagbo (Kwara State), the deceased left nothing else after his death. Naij.com Sports travelled down to Ijagbo where the mother of Rashidi Yekini lives and she divulged what she has being passing through since the demise of her son. Alhaja Yekini attending to a customer Naij.com Sports: Mama, it is four years now since the death of your son, how has life been with you? Sikiratu Yekini: Like I have always been saying, survival has been difficult for me since I lost my son because he was the pillar the whole family relaxed on. Naij.com Sports: Have you received any help from anybody since the death of your son? Sikiratu Yekini: The only help I got since the death of my son was the money the Osun State government gave me during the burial of Rashidi, and the money was even shared in the family, and asides that no one else has looked into my side. Naij.com Sports: What about the Kwara State government where your son was born? Sikiratu Yekini: They have done nothing except for their fake promises. There was a time when we were even looking for how to get a job for Akeem Yekini who is a younger brother to Rashidi, but up till now, nothing has been done. READ ALSO: Photos: See Leicester City lift the Premier League title in style Mama Yekini in front of her stall Naij.com Sports: What is your son Akeem now doing to survive? Sikiratu Yekini: He’s into labouring work since there’s nobody to help, and that is better than stealing. Naij.com Sports: Have you for once received help, visit or call from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) since the death of your son? Sikiratu Yekini: No one has ever called me from them, they don’t even know where I live not to talk of them paying me a visit, but I’m sure if they want to help, they would surely find me. Naij.com Sports: Mama is it true that you sells bread, water, drinks and other things for you to survive Sikiratu Yekini: Yes, that’s what I do for now as I cannot continue to be begging from hands to mouth. Akeem Yekini who’s the younger brother to Rashidi also extends his hands to me anytime he comes back from his labouring work. Naij.com Sports: We heard Rashidi built this house where you are living, did you put some part for rent? Madam Yekini in front of her fridge with drinks Sikiratu Yekini: Yes, my son built this house for me when I came back from Minna and me, Akeem and his children are living upstairs. We put four rooms for rent when it became hard for us to eat, and even till now the tenants are still begging us claiming that the Kwara State local government has not paid them for 6 months. Naij.com Sports: What is the nature of your health, are you receiving treatment in the hospital? Sikiratu Yekini: I am not healthy at all, and I’m just forcing myself to do so many things I do since there’s nobody to help. Naij.com Sports: What do you want Mama? Sikiratu Yekini: My son served this country, and I want Nigerians to help me because it has not been easy for me since the death of Rashidi. I don’t want a situation where some people would now be bringing cows after my death whereas none of them can afford to give me fish now that I’m alive.
Re: Rashidi Yekini's Mother's Interview by ehiaze(m): 9:15pm On May 09, 2016
Which story do we believe now

(1) (Reply)

England Named Squad For EURO 2016,rashford Made The List / OFFICIAL : Man Utd Sign POGBA. / Brendon Ayanbadejo Celebrates His 40th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.