Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,930 members, 7,952,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:44 PM

Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? (4234 Views)

At What Age Did You Cook Your First Meal? / As A Single, Do You Cook Or Eat Outside? / How Regularly Should You Cook And Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by globalaid(m): 7:32am On Nov 20, 2006
Ask my wife and she will tell you, she do the house chore while i do the cooking and she likes it so much because she knows i am really good at it.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Bolarge(m): 2:40pm On Nov 20, 2006
davidylan:

when you come from a home of just boys, you have to learn to cook. There's virtually nothing i can't cook if i really make up my mind to learn.
I can cook egusi as good as my mom does it, i actually taught a female cousin of mine (who is older than i am anyway) how to make moin-moin! Been ages i made that now undecided

An aunt i lived with then wouldnt eat moin-moin unless i made it and there were 3 girls in the house!!!

A friend taught me to pound yam 2 years ago, and he's a guy!!! He made it much better than my mom ever did!

@davidylan
So good t'know someone had d same experience I did.We're boys only(5 in no) n' mama didn't take no nonsense.By d time each of us wz 10 we were synthesisng all kinds of soup like pros--ewedu ,okra,ugwu y'name it. As per poundin yam?How d'u think I got my biceps? grin.
Pity I did very lil cookin during my university days-started eating out from my first day in UI.
Besides fryin dodo n'preparin rice,noodles n'd likes I haven't done any real cookin in like 3yrs.
I think the ladies actually do a lot to enforce d stereotype of "guys don't cook"esp while dating.In the last 1yr for instance my fiancee insists on doin d major cookin n'comes at least once a week just to flaunt her culinary skills proceeds of which she then keeps in d freezer to last d comin week.
Since she insists,who am I 2resist? wink
She's a much better cook anyway;at least now dt I'm quite rusty in culinary matters.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2006
@ Bolarge

Exactly, i agree with you on the girls enforcing the "guys should not cook" steretype. I remember two white girls i dated at some point would always insist on doing the cooking and serving in my own house.

University days na die o! grin The chics would cook, all you needed to do was just let slip that you liked a certain food and hey presto, the food would appear on your doorstep the very next day! I had a girlfriend then who disliked beans, i did mention i liked it and the very next day i had to skip classes to go eat beans and plantain!!! shocked
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:20pm On Nov 20, 2006
Some girls only do that cos that's all they can provide in hopes you wont leave them.

Due to the lame "food is the way to a man's heart" cliche. Bleh.

You should cook WITH her, Bolarge.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 6:24pm On Nov 20, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

Some girls only do that because that's all they can provide in hopes you wont leave them.

Due to the lame "food is the way to a man's heart" cliche. Bleh.

You should cook WITH her, Bolarge.

word ! cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 20, 2006
i agree with you ThiefofHearts.

Indeed some girls only do it just to keep you with them, i wont blame them. We the same guys would be the first to jump ship if we met another girl that would do all the housework while we lazed around in the name of stereotype.

I was brought up completely under the "men are the masters of the house" stereotype. My dad does virtually NO housework while my mom does all the cooking, washing, housecleaning, coupled with a demanding job as a private and government paediatrician who works more than 12 hrs of the day!! shocked
And no she ended up being the strongest member of the family. Anytime mummy fell ill, the house practically ground to a halt!

We learned to cook by the time we were 10 yrs, well 12-13 for my younger brothers.
However, an aunt of mine i lived with for 2 yrs cooks only on sundays, her husband is the worst cook in the world (can only boil water!), of course all the time i spent there i did all the cooking with friends and cousins!

Another uncle of mine does all the laundry in his house, plus wife and baby stuff though now he's got some help with the baby stuff.

And these guys are NIGERIANS!!!!!! Imagine my shock when the fellow told me he lost his wedding ring while washing his wife's clothes, i could not imagine that a man did that too!!! I have stopped wondering why the wives to these guys would rather die than lose their husbands!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:47pm On Nov 20, 2006
davidylan:

I was brought up completely under the "men are the masters of the house" stereotype. My dad does virtually NO housework while my mom does all the cooking, washing, housecleaning, coupled with a demanding job as a private and government paediatrician who works more than 12 hrs of the day!! shocked

That's horrible. sad

My mom works so many hrs(nurse), she cant afford to have a husband that didnt help out. He helps out with everything.
Im proud of my dad smiley

Hope you dont let that sterotype follow you when you get married angry tongue
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 20, 2006
no i cant,

i learnt to do household stuff from a very early age. my dad never learnt.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2006
True, but some guys learn but later on dont bother to put it to use anymore.
They rather rely on others.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by magneto(m): 11:34am On Dec 08, 2006
lol, interesting topic! well, i don't want to brag, but i tell u if u eat my food, ur life will never remain the same, gbam! grin

i actually grew up in a boys only home, so mum had to practically beg us lo learn cooking (now mum is da best, believe me) but while my siblings learnt and helped out in the kitchen, i'll refuse doing any work. but hey. . . i was watching!!! wink

first few times i cooked on campus, it was wack! but gradually i remembered stuff, and honed my skills beautifully. so when i decided to cook at home for the first time (except boil yam, make eba e.t.c, i been doing those b4) they were initially skeptical. but u should have seen the look on their faces after the first taste! grin now they can't get enuff of me. hell, i even beat my mums fried rice!!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:01pm On Dec 08, 2006
Now I wish you didnt make me yell at you in the other thread.

anyway that's great that you can make those dishes. Love good fried rice tongue
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by magneto(m): 10:37am On Dec 12, 2006
;d ;d cool
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2006
[/tt]
so jammin', what are you good at making?[tt]

welllllll i do most everyday caribbeancuisine. Jerk chicken grin steamed Fish, stew peas, a range of curried stuff, especially curry goat smiley and of course
ackee N saltfish with fried Dumplins.

If you want to learn, i can teach you how to do these dishes.

can someone tell me how to get that quote thingy working right angry angry angry
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:42pm On Dec 12, 2006
It's {quote}  then {/quote} you dork except you use the straight brackets instead

and why would you make such things if you are supposedly a vegetarian  tongue[quote][/quote]
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by TerraCotta(m): 7:54pm On Dec 12, 2006
On another forum I belong to, there's a whole discussion with recipes that people put up, pictures of the dishes etc. This could be the same thing.

I grew up in all-boys home too, so I learned to cook some basic stuff from my mom and I live by myself, so you've got to be able to whip up something every once in a while. Sadly, I'm not as good with Naija food (beyond stew, rice, and maybe eba) as I am with foreign dishes. I can make basic Chinese, Mexican, and Italian foods, with some creations of my own thrown in on the side. I'll try to put up some photos of some fish in coconut sauce that I've been thinking about making if I get to it this weekend.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2006
TerraCotta:
I'll try to put up some photos of some fish in coconut sauce .

Ewwwwwwwwwww tongue
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by TerraCotta(m): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2006
grin I guess you don't like Thai food. Don't worry--it will be strictly eba and ewedu for you.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 10:53pm On Dec 12, 2006
Why cant you just get it? angry did i say i was a vegitarian where food was concerned?? angry

I SAID!!! am a vegetarian, "Where women were concerned" Jeez!!! grin tongue
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:59pm On Dec 12, 2006
no you're not. You eat it all
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 11:04pm On Dec 12, 2006
haha. i am no glutton. i know when i am biting off more than i can lick,sorry, chew!!!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by mekoyo(m): 3:22pm On Feb 11, 2007
Yes i can.

What i cook most at home is beans. lol smiley smiley smiley

I can cook some other dishes sha o.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jamah(m): 10:43pm On May 25, 2008
i wonder why some guys cant cook cos i can do ALL! cook, bake, fry, boil, grill, roast, Im proud i can do all that. thanks to my mom.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 4:09am On May 26, 2008
Jeez, my brother needs to learn something from you guys!!!!!!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Uby40(m): 3:45pm On May 27, 2008
tasting is believing
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by chrisoml(m): 4:04pm On May 27, 2008
male are still the best chefs in the world and am so proud to be part of them.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jamah(m): 11:47pm On May 27, 2008
Omoooor. Huge fact!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by dragnet: 12:27pm On May 30, 2008
I sure can cheesy

Let any dudetTe trying to pasS thru ma' sTomaCh to ma' hearT look for an0theR rouTe 'cos I own that waY already grin
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 4:16am On May 31, 2008
Whatever cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 01, 2008
chrisoml:

male are still the best chefs in the world and am so proud to be part of them.
really! maybe u ppl should stay in the kitchen then smiley
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lucabrasi(m): 9:12pm On Jun 03, 2008
a wife cooking might be a mutual choice between both the husband and the wife so i dont see anything wrong with that, my wife will do all the cooking whenever i get married however i dont mind helping out with maybe cutting onions,veggies n all that, as for pounding yam hell no,even tho i dont want my gurl to have yammy calf/thights or yammy arms,
learning how to cook these days and i have fried rice,jollof rice,locked down,egusi just ok but im not all that bothered as my wife ll take care of the cookng
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by TOH(f): 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2008
and when she has to travel, you'll be left looking like mugun?
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Mustay(m): 11:05am On Jun 04, 2008
ma only pro is soup cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

wholesales and retail fruits / How To Avoid Having Heartburn After Eating Beans / Can You Finish This Food (see Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.